Page 14 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 75Crazie View Post
    Overtime in American football just makes no sense to me at all, regardless of the method. I never understood what was so wrong with a tie result, at least for regular season games; it seems far preferable to all of these schemes that bear little resemblance to regular game action. For playoff games, I have no answer; the sport just does not lend itself to realistic overtime action.
    I respectfully disagree. I love the drama of overtime.

Would probably tweak it and give each team the ball at the 40 instead of the 25.

Here's my hair-brained idea while I'm watching the end of this NC State - Miami game.

Team gets the ball at the 20 (could be 15, could be 25, whatever). Similar to what we have now, but there are no first downs. You get 4 plays to score. (So, basically what we have now, except without the ability to get a first down). If the goal is to limit the number of additional plays, this should help.

If the goal isn't to limit additional plays, then I think the NFL Playoff rules are probably the best option (where the team that kicks off has an opportunity to respond even if the receiving team scores a TD).

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    I believe you meant the refs said the handoff was BEHIND ‘the line of scrimmage, which is correct, and they said that was why the hand-off was (supposedly) legal. However, I thought the original runner passed the line and then was pushed back, which I believe makes the handoff illegal. Should have been Kansas’s ball in good position, and they weren’t having problems moving the ball against OU.

(I also agree with you that the play should have been called dead before the handoff.)
    Thanks for the correction; that is what I meant to say. If it is true that the original ball carrier had crossed the line of scrimmage, as well (which I didn't pay that much attention to) then the refs did an even worse job than I thought, which is pretty impressive, because I thought it was pretty bad already.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Here's my hair-brained idea while I'm watching the end of this NC State - Miami game.

Team gets the ball at the 20 (could be 15, could be 25, whatever). Similar to what we have now, but there are no first downs. You get 4 plays to score. (So, basically what we have now, except without the ability to get a first down). If the goal is to limit the number of additional plays, this should help.

If the goal isn't to limit additional plays, then I think the NFL Playoff rules are probably the best option (where the team that kicks off has an opportunity to respond even if the receiving team scores a TD).
    I think both teams have a chance to posses if the first team gets a field goal or fails to score- but game over if the receiving teams scores a TD on their first possession.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    I think both teams have a chance to posses if the first team gets a field goal or fails to score- but game over if the receiving teams scores a TD on their first possession.
    Yep, I apparently imagined that rule change. They did change it some time back (it used to be that a field goal would end the game as well). I thought that they also changed the playoff rules to allow both teams to possess even with a TD on the opening drive, but I guess not. I do think that would be an improvement for the playoffs though.

The NFL rules are unfair -- the team that wins the toss wins most often.

The NFL would change to something like the NCAA system except for the loss of face. You think I'm kidding? I'm not!
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

The season has been fun but I'm guessing it's going to end up with a boring, run-of-the-mill result:

> A hyped Ohio State-Michigan matchup that results in Ohio State crushing Michigan by 20+
    > Ohio State over Wisconsin in the Big 10 title game
    > Playoff of Alabama, Georgia, Oklahoma, and Ohio State
    > The non-SEC teams get crushed in the playoff

Really hope Cincinnati can prove me wrong...

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    The NFL rules are unfair -- the team that wins the toss wins most often.

The NFL would change to something like the NCAA system except for the loss of face. You think I'm kidding? I'm not!
    NFL also allows for a tie, which I think college football should also do. There needs to be some limit to the number of overtimes. Maybe after 5 OTs call it a tie?

I also like the idea of no first downs during OT, but in that case maybe let them start on the 15-yard line instead of the 25?
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    The season has been fun but I'm guessing it's going to end up with a boring, run-of-the-mill result:

> A hyped Ohio State-Michigan matchup that results in Ohio State crushing Michigan by 20+

Michigan will prove out over the next few weeks. They look decent, but if they win out they are much much more.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post

Cinci looked pretty weak against Navy. Likewise Oklahoma against Kansas. Right now Georgia looks pretty strong but one never knows what will happen next.

Watching the Penn State-Illinois game reminded me of why I largely switched from watching college football to watching the NFL. So many bad plays and dropped passes! Sheesh. Looked like an intramural game.

I have yet another potential OT idea to help avoid guys getting seriously fatigued/injured but make it more than just one play. Like a soccer shootout, you do five two point conversions, switching off. The team that makes more of them, wins. Of course, if it's tied after five rounds, then you go to sudden death which is how it is now starting at 3OT, but this way gives teams more opportunities so they don't lose it just on one mishap and requires them to run several different plays.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    There needs to be some limit to the number of overtimes.
    I think it's fine as is with the new rules. The rules now effectively do cap it at 3 overtimes... calling the Illinois-Penn State game 9 overtimes may technically be correct, but it's like calling each individual penalty kick in a soccer game its own overtime. The "9 overtime" game was probably about as many plays as a 3 overtime game in previous years.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Cinci looked pretty weak against Navy.
    Yeah, I'm worried what will happen to Cincy. But, none of the non-power 5 teams contending for a playoff spot has ever had a win on the caliber of a road win at Notre Dame. I'm hoping that will be the difference if they go undefeated (and then they'll get crushed by Georgia in the playoff, but so would Oklahoma, so give someone else a chance...)

I actually think the NFL OT system is pretty good. I don't see it as unfair, as unless you give up a TD right off the bat, you get a chance to match. No system is perfect, but this is a pretty good one I think.

Here's my harebrained idea for OT, as an alternative: First team get the ball say at the 50. If they get stopped at any point on downs, the other team gets it to start on the 50. If the first team doesn't get stopped, and they score a TD, you count how many plays it took them to get into the end zone. Then the other team has its chance, and if they score in a lesser number of plays, they win. If it takes them more, they lose. If it takes them the exact same number of plays, then you do another round. It will rarely take more than two rounds of this to determine a winner. No field goals. Defensive penalties don't count as a play, so you take away the incentive for the defense to commit penalties at all costs.

Both teams would have an incentive to play aggressively on offense, go for big plays, and it would be over with a relatively small number of plays by each team.

Seems my assessment of Iowa was spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Seems my assessment of Iowa was spot on.
    Congrats.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    I actually think the NFL OT system is pretty good. I don't see it as unfair, as unless you give up a TD right off the bat, you get a chance to match. No system is perfect, but this is a pretty good one I think.

Here's my harebrained idea for OT, as an alternative: First team get the ball say at the 50. If they get stopped at any point on downs, the other team gets it to start on the 50. If the first team doesn't get stopped, and they score a TD, you count how many plays it took them to get into the end zone. Then the other team has its chance, and if they score in a lesser number of plays, they win. If it takes them more, they lose. If it takes them the exact same number of plays, then you do another round. It will rarely take more than two rounds of this to determine a winner. No field goals. Defensive penalties don't count as a play, so you take away the incentive for the defense to commit penalties at all costs.

Both teams would have an incentive to play aggressively on offense, go for big plays, and it would be over with a relatively small number of plays by each team.
    Interesting idea. Maybe let them start on the 40 or the 35?

BYU is skunking UVa early in Bronco Mendenhall’s homecoming to Utah …

UVa looks like a team headed to the Tony the Tiger bowl New Year’s Eve in El Paso …

They’re 45 minutes away from being 6-3 …

Their secondary looks as good as my middle school’s secondary … I mean they’re BAD. UVA’s that is.

I am not a gambler but I am always fascinated by "bad beats" - when a meaningless play at the end of a game shifts the outcome from one side of the line to the other - Chris Duhon's shot at the end of the 2004 championship game was a classic (too soon?).

Anyway, the Clemson-FSU game today was another classic. FSU was a 9.5 point underdog and the over/under was 47.5. FSU was down 24-20 on the final play and tried to do multiple laterals to score. The play completely blows up, Clemson ended up recovering and scoring, so they won 30-20. Spread covered and it shifts from under to over.

This likely would have gotten a lot more press and impacted more gamblers a few years ago when both Clemson and FSU were good teams and more people cared about what they were doing.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I am not a gambler but I am always fascinated by "bad beats" - when a meaningless play at the end of a game shifts the outcome from one side of the line to the other - Chris Duhon's shot at the end of the 2004 championship game was a classic (too soon?).

Anyway, the Clemson-FSU game today was another classic. FSU was a 9.5 point underdog and the over/under was 47.5. FSU was down 24-20 on the final play and tried to do multiple laterals to score. The play completely blows up, Clemson ended up recovering and scoring, so they won 30-20. Spread covered and it shifts from under to over.

This likely would have gotten a lot more press and impacted more gamblers a few years ago when both Clemson and FSU were good teams and more people cared about what they were doing.
    I am in Vegas right now and was in a sports book watching that game. The reaction in the room to that last play was wild euphoria and disbelieving shock in one.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I am in Vegas right now and was in a sports book watching that game. The reaction in the room to that last play was wild euphoria and disbelieving shock in one.
    It used to be forbidden for TV announcers to mention these types of plays but now it is more acceptable - I was just watching part of the Ohio State/Penn State game and when they showed the score on the crawl, it mentioned what the final play and line were.

Meanwhile you were cashing your big bet on the over for "points scored by Bates Jones"?