Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Penn State basketball did have "one shining moment" as a 7th seed in the 2002 NCAA Tournament with a 82-74 win over the 2nd-seeded TarHeels. Charlotte native Titus Ivory scored 21 points to lead the Nittany Lions. Fun game to watch.

Wake up 10-0 after 1 quarter in Charlottesville at UVa.

Is Sam Hartman the best QB in the league?

17-3 Wake now.

Bronco has the boys looking ROUGH.

Dave Clawson for ACC Coach of the Year.

27-10 Wake with 9 mins left in the 3rd quarter at UVa.

Bronco Mendenhall is in danger of falling to 32-34 overall and 18-25 in the ACC in this his 6th year in Charlottesville. I know the fans and major donors to the program likely expect way better than that. 18 wins in 6+ years in this weak league is nothing to write home to Utah about.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    27-10 Wake with 9 mins left in the 3rd quarter at UVa.

Bronco Mendenhall is in danger of falling to 32-34 overall and 18-25 in the ACC in this his 6th year in Charlottesville. I know the fans and major donors to the program likely expect way better than that. 18 wins in 6+ years in this weak league is nothing to write home to Utah about.
    Crowd looking somewhat sparse, relatively.

(Relative to VTech, not Duke)

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post

Fake UVA TD pass. ACC officials at their very best.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post

Yep, I noticed that, too.

I think one would be hard pressed to find a better QB in the league than Sam Hartman this year. The kid throws a beautiful ball.

Of course, UVA’s defense looks atrocious this season. UNC-CH hung 59 on them last week and Wake has 34 already on them tonight and are on pace for 40+.

Wake beats UVa in Charlottesville 37-17. That’s a good win for Wake who was +3.5 coming into the game.

That’s an embarrassing loss for UVa at home on a Friday night. Bronco has to get the boys looking better quick as they play at Miami, FL and at Louisville next. Could be a long year for UVa this season as they’re now 2-2, 0-2.

Wake will contend for the ACC Atlantic title this year. That’s a good football team.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Wake will contend for the ACC Atlantic title this year. That’s a good football team.
    We can parse the definition of "contend" if you want but, to be clear, are you saying that you think Wake can beat Clemson?

Before tonight's game, Wake had beaten Old Dominion (Sagarin #151), Norfolk State (Sag #205), and Florida State (Sag #106). The win over Virginia is certainly nice, but it ain't like Wake has faced a murderer's row thus far. Coming into tonight, Wake was Sag's #42 team. I am sure they will move up after whupping Virginia but I dunno if Wake is a legit top 25 contender yet. They may be close.

Their next 4 games are Louisville, Syracuse, Army, and Duke. I would expect Wake to be a 7+ point favorite in all those games. If the Deacs get to 8-0 then their game on Nov 6 against UNC is going to be a significant national game.

-Jason "obviously hope not all of this comes to pass, especially the 10/30 game in Durham" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    We can parse the definition of "contend" if you want but, to be clear, are you saying that you think Wake can beat Clemson?

Before tonight's game, Wake had beaten Old Dominion (Sagarin #151), Norfolk State (Sag #205), and Florida State (Sag #106). The win over Virginia is certainly nice, but it ain't like Wake has faced a murderer's row thus far. Coming into tonight, Wake was Sag's #42 team. I am sure they will move up after whupping Virginia but I dunno if Wake is a legit top 25 contender yet. They may be close.

Their next 4 games are Louisville, Syracuse, Army, and Duke. I would expect Wake to be a 7+ point favorite in all those games. If the Deacs get to 8-0 then their game on Nov 6 against UNC is going to be a significant national game.

-Jason "obviously hope not all of this comes to pass, especially the 10/30 game in Durham" Evans
    Wake plays Duke in Winston on 10/30. And the Clemson that showed up against GaTech? Yeah, these Deacs (if healthy) can compete with that.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

I think they could beat Clemson, they’ll likely be favored to lose but the team I saw last night could beat them. They looked very well coached. Efficient offense and their defense was really flying around. I believe the analysts last night said that Wake returned 20 of 22 starters this year from last year’s team. I believe they have 9 super seniors (6th years). I believe defensive lineman Miles Fox is a 7th year senior. They are one experienced team. Sam Hartman really impressed me last night at QB for them. A.T. Perry at wideout is a stud, too (#9). I think he’s about 6’5” and very physical. Clemson overall obviously has more talent and is the obvious pick to win the Atlantic but something about this Wake team’s experience and overall demeanor tells me they could give Clemson a run for their money.

Wake under Clawson is an indicator that you don't have to break the bank to get a good young coach whose team is almost always competitive. Clawson makes $500k less than Cut, and has a lot of the same challenges that Duke has in football, e.e. smaller, non state school. Yes, they use the same formula to get to bowls that Cut has used, which is to schedule at least three winnable OOC games each season, but they've done well at it. FSU may not be a juggernaut this year, but when did Duke last beat FSU (rhetorical question)...college football news does a good job, they rank Duke at this point #99, Wake 39, and that was before they beat #36 UVA.

We should never forget

Glad someone keeps this in the forefront. He’s my hero.
    https://247sports.com/college/north-...ars-171615719/

Rarely watch Big 10 football, but turned on Wisconsin vs Notre Dame. Wisconsin seems to be running the same offense they did 50 years ago, try to run the football then pass in the obvious passing situations. Prime example, 2nd and goal from the 11 yard line. Do they try a pass? Hell no, up the middle for no gain. Then when they have to pass throw a pass for five yards which misses the receiver. No wonder the Big Ten other than OSU never has teams in the Championship playoffs. It’s a shame they don’t have to play Oklahoma, Clemson or Alabama regulary. This may also be why Northwestern can be competitive.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMeDoIt View Post
    Rarely watch Big 10 football, but turned on Wisconsin vs Notre Dame. Wisconsin seems to be running the same offense they did 50 years ago, try to run the football then pass in the obvious passing situations. Prime example, 2nd and goal from the 11 yard line. Do they try a pass? Hell no, up the middle for no gain. Then when they have to pass throw a pass for five yards which misses the receiver. No wonder the Big Ten other than OSU never has teams in the Championship playoffs. It’s a shame they don’t have to play Oklahoma, Clemson or Alabama regulary. This may also be why Northwestern can be competitive.
    What's wrong with that? The cheats have been running the same basketball offense since 1961!

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    What's wrong with that? The cheats have been running the same scam since 1991!
    FIFY.

Oh. You talkin’ THAT Clemson? The one that lost in Raleigh?
    Last edited by Tripping William; 09-25-2021 at 07:33 PM.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMeDoIt View Post
    Wisconsin behind the times? At the 2015 final Four, its pep band had tubas in it.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Heels look good …