Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Illinois and Penn St. tied in the sixth overtime if the ESPN scoreboard is to be believed.
    It’s on ABC. Starting the 8th OT.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    It’s on ABC. Starting the 8th OT.
    at that point don't they have to kick field goals with their noses or something just to end the thing?

UCLA is up on Oregon 14-0. Bruins first TD was via a Brittain Brown run. Oh how I wish BB could have stayed healthy at Duke.
    Bob Green

Illinois wins it in the 9th OT. What a game!

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    at that point don't they have to kick field goals with their noses or something just to end the thing?
    Thumb wrestling. Each team chooses a representative.

After no scoring in the 3rd through 7th overtimes, both scored in the 8th OT to send it to a 9th, where Illinois scored and Penn State didn’t.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    Illinois wins it in the 9th OT. What a game!
    I love when bad things happen to PSU fans.

After no scoring in the 3rd through 7th overtimes, both scored in the 8th OT to send it to a 9th, where Illinois scored and Penn State didn’t.
    I didn't see the game, but if I read the rules correctly, they just run two point conversion plays one after another, right? None of that first and ten nonsense...

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    The game was played in “Happy” Valley…..

To put this defensive struggle in perspective:

Illinois scored 10 points in nine overtime periods -- an average of 1.1 per period.

Penn State scored eight points -- an average of 0.9 per period.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Halftime: UCLA 17, #10 Oregon 14
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by TKG View Post
    The game was played in “Happy” Valley…..
    Delightful! All the better it was a home game!

That's pretty funny. I got my second DBR flame and called ignorant for liking that a non-Duke team lost in gut-wrenching fashion.

I feel no need to explain sports-hate. Here is a non-exhaustive list of sports teams and their fanbases who I like to see bad things happen to (from a sports perspective).

- All of the SEC
    - Most DC metro professional and unprofessional (looking at you UMD) sports teams
    - Shaun White
    - Notre Dame
    - Manchester United
    - Chelsea
    - Honestly, most UK Soccer teams
    - The Giants, both NY and San Francisco
    - Any team Brett Favre is on
    - University of Miami
    - Golf

Please flame accordingly.

I feel no need to explain sports-hate. Here is a non-exhaustive list of sports teams and their fanbases who I like to see bad things happen to (from a sports perspective).

- Golf
    I was with you right up until you crossed the line.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I was with you right up until you crossed the line.
    Hah hah. Different strokes for different folks and all...!

...Any team Brett Favre is on...
    Not a fan of Copper Fit compression sleeves, huh? Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    To put this defensive struggle in perspective:

Illinois scored 10 points in nine overtime periods -- an average of 1.1 per period.

Penn State scored eight points -- an average of 0.9 per period.
    Reminder that overtime rules have changed...starting with the 3rd overtime the teams just take turns attempting 2 point conversions (meaning each team only runs one play, and the most they can score in a "possession" is 2 points rather than 7/8).

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Reminder that overtime rules have changed...starting with the 3rd overtime the teams just take turns attempting 2 point conversions (meaning each team only runs one play, and the most they can score in a "possession" is 2 points rather than 7/8).
    Illinois' play-calling in OT was truly odd. In the first 60 minutes, they gained 357 on the ground and only 38 by passing. In the seven OT periods in which they tried to make a two-point extra point, the Illini passed six times and ran only once (which succeeded). The Illini did score on a pass for the win.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Overtime in American football just makes no sense to me at all, regardless of the method. I never understood what was so wrong with a tie result, at least for regular season games; it seems far preferable to all of these schemes that bear little resemblance to regular game action. For playoff games, I have no answer; the sport just does not lend itself to realistic overtime action.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    This Kansas game is insane.
    I think Kansas got screwed. Oklahoma had a fourth and one late in the game and a four-point lead. The running back gets stood up well short of the line and pushed backward; as he is falling to the ground the quarterback takes the ball from him and gets past the line, and it is ruled a first down. But the original runner's forward progress had been stopped and he was pushed backward a couple of yards. The play was over and should have been whistled dead.
    The refs reviewed it and all they said was that since the 'hand-off' had been accomplished beyond the line of scrimmage, it was legal, and therefore the play stood. They did not address the fact that the play should have been whistled dead.
    I guess they were just reviewing it to make sure that there wasn't a foreward hand-off past the line of scrimmage. My best guess is that whether the play should have been whistled dead was not reviewable. Still, a bad call in my estimation, and it took away any chance Kansas had of pulling off the upset.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    I think Kansas got screwed. Oklahoma had a fourth and one late in the game and a four-point lead. The running back gets stood up well short of the line and pushed backward; as he is falling to the ground the quarterback takes the ball from him and gets past the line, and it is ruled a first down. But the original runner's forward progress had been stopped and he was pushed backward a couple of yards. The play was over and should have been whistled dead.
    The refs reviewed it and all they said was that since the 'hand-off' had been accomplished beyond the line of scrimmage, it was legal, and therefore the play stood. They did not address the fact that the play should have been whistled dead.
    I guess they were just reviewing it to make sure that there wasn't a foreward hand-off past the line of scrimmage. My best guess is that whether the play should have been whistled dead was not reviewable. Still, a bad call in my estimation, and it took away any chance Kansas had of pulling off the upset.
    I believe you meant the refs said the handoff was BEHIND ‘the line of scrimmage, which is correct, and they said that was why the hand-off was (supposedly) legal. However, I thought the original runner passed the line and then was pushed back, which I believe makes the handoff illegal. Should have been Kansas’s ball in good position, and they weren’t having problems moving the ball against OU.

(I also agree with you that the play should have been called dead before the handoff.)