Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Do you really think there's even a small chance that he can shoot like JJ?
    Since 2008 (oldest data Torvik has), I see 9 NCAA D1 players on BartTorvik.com who have attempted 1000 or more career 3s like JJ did. Of those, 3 shot over 40% for their career (JJ was a career .406 3pt shooter at Duke).

So to borrow from Jim Carey, I’m sayin there’s a chance. it’s a very small chance but it’s a non-zero probability.

(I’d take him resembling more “pedestrian” shooters like Scheyer or Seth Curry )

Quote Originally Posted by Spanarkel View Post
    Are you referring to this cringeworthy moment from an apparent summer game of JS's when he fires the ball at a defenseless player's head as he lies on the ground? Play in question is at 2:48-2:55 mark. I hope we don't see him try this at Duke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nx4T4Ut-6qo&t=190s
    I don't think this play is even a smidge dirty. This is just a straight up basketball play to keep possession. It hit him where it hit him. That is unfortunate, but 100% incidental. 100%. I have done this exact thing and hit people in the face...and nether regions. I didn't want that to happen, but I wanted possession. 0% dirty.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieTiger View Post
    Since 2008 (oldest data Torvik has), I see 9 NCAA D1 players on BartTorvik.com who have attempted 1000 or more career 3s like JJ did. Of those, 3 shot over 40% for their career (JJ was a career .406 3pt shooter at Duke).

So to borrow from Jim Carey, I’m sayin there’s a chance. it’s a very small chance but it’s a non-zero probability.

(I’d take him resembling more “pedestrian” shooters like Scheyer or Seth Curry )
    If he’s anything like Curry, I’ll take that. He’s much higher rated and much taller than Curry. So there is a decent chance he can make a similar impact.

But this means a) he doesn’t leave early and b) he doesn’t get recruited over. For players ranked 10+, a) and b) haven’t happened in a while (Grayson comes to mind).
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

What was Steph Curry's recruit ranking. Four star? If so, they have that in common.

GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    What was Steph Curry's recruit ranking. Four star? If so, they have that in common.

GoDuke!
    I assume Seth is the comparison being made here, not Steph. But, I don't believe that Steph was very highly ranked in high school. I'll do a little digging.

Edit: Three star recruit out of high school

Steph was also a three star recruit.

https://247sports.com/Player/Stephen-Curry-65374/high-school-114673/

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I assume Seth is the comparison being made here, not Steph. But, I don't believe that Steph was very highly ranked in high school. I'll do a little digging.

Edit: Three star recruit out of high school
    I see a little Laettner is this guy watching what little film I have seen...anyone else see that...inside outside game...a good swagger...we can only hope, imo
    "I wanted it to be in my hands," Roach said of his game-sealing drive. "I wanted to take—I wanted that moment."

"Definitely was a bit personal for me," Roach added. "I mean, what happened last year, obviously, but just wanted to come out here and do anything I can to get this win, and we did that." Duke-Carolina, Cameron Indoor, Feb. 4th 2023

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    He’s much higher rated and much taller than Curry. So there is a decent chance he can make a similar impact.
    He's much higher rated and much taller than Steph Curry too, right? Also Russell Westbrook. Is there a decent chance he can make a similar impact to those guys? Why do people keep saying stuff like this?

He's much higher rated and much taller than Steph Curry too, right? Also Russell Westbrook. Is there a decent chance he can make a similar impact to those guys? Why do people keep saying stuff like this?
    Because it is fun to hope? That’s why fans get excited by drafts. It is about hope. Schutt appears to have something in his game. Those that have scouted him say that his shooting ability is at the high end. Can he do it in the ACC? We will find out in over a year. You never know how a kid will turn out. What is the harm in hoping he could be great?

Lol. Thanks debbie downer.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    ... I wish Zion had a guy like this spacing the floor for him...
    Pretty sure Reddish was supposed to be 'that guy.'

Apologies if this post is still too soon.

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/1371803...5ac90f9c3a79ed

In this one game alone he Schott 17 3’s.
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Lol. Thanks debbie downer.
    There's a reason the Jim Carrey, "So you're telling me there's a chance" meme is considered funny. Is the person who tells you not to base any plans on lottery winnings also a "debbie downer."

There's a huuuge difference between an incredibly-long-shot hope and a "decent chance."

There's a reason the Jim Carrey, "So you're telling me there's a chance" meme is considered funny. Is the person who tells you not to base any plans on lottery winnings also a "debbie downer."

There's a huuuge difference between an incredibly-long-shot hope and a "decent chance."
    Lottery and “one in a million” odds are comparable to a top 50 recruit turning out like Seth Curry?

Wow. Not sure what lottery you’re playing, but I want in!

Lottery and “one in a million” odds are comparable to a top 50 recruit turning out like Seth Curry?

Wow. Not sure what lottery you’re playing, but I want in!
    First of all, it's not at all clear that Jaden Schutt is a top 50 recruit. He is ranked #47 by ESPN, but #82 by Rivals, and #108 by 247 (#107 in 247's composite). So maybe he is and maybe he isn't. Second, Seth Curry was a college star (17.5 ppg on 44% shooting from three as a senior on an Elite Eight team, while not being able to practice because he was basically playing on one leg) and last season was a starter on the #1 seed in the NBA Eastern Conference. Maybe it's not one in a million that Jaden Schutt has that kind of career, but there's certainly not a "decent chance."

Finally, as I pointed out earlier, we have no more basis to conclude that Jaden will have a similar career to Seth Curry than we do to conclude the same regarding Steph Curry and/or Russell Westbrook (which is really what I was referring to when I mentioned the lottery). Just because one guy was (or even several guys were) grossly underrated by the recruiting services does not mean every guy is similarly underrated. It's a logical fallacy.

Put another way, there's a LOT higher chance that Jaden Schutt has a career like Joey Baker or Alex O'Connell than there is he has a career like Seth Curry.

First of all, it's not at all clear that Jaden Schutt is a top 50 recruit. He is ranked #47 by ESPN, but #82 by Rivals, and #108 by 247 (#107 in 247's composite). So maybe he is and maybe he isn't.
    Jaden has shot up rankings all across the board this past summer, from ESPN to Rivals. It's not out of the question to see him rise even further and be consensus top 50. And given he's potentially one of the best shooters in the class, it's not a terrible assumption (see JasonEvans's post regarding recruiting gurus' take on Jaden).

Second, Seth Curry was a college star (17.5 ppg on 44% shooting from three as a senior on an Elite Eight team, while not being able to practice because he was basically playing on one leg) and last season was a starter on the #1 seed in the NBA Eastern Conference. Maybe it's not one in a million that Jaden Schutt has that kind of career, but there's certainly not a "decent chance."
    Curry had a great senior season at Duke as a fifth year senior. This is the same Curry that was also undrafted in the NBA. I assume if DBR posters said after that draft, "despite Curry being undrafted, I suspect he will be the starting #2 guard for the #1 Eastern Conference team scoring 12+ points per game and shooting 45% from 3", you'd use that same Jim Carrey line and call out posters for being overly unreasonable.

Can Jaden average 15ppg shooting 40%+ from 3 at some point in his Duke career IF he stays and develops and is given the opportunity? Absolutely. You seem to think it's unlikely, I think there is a "decent chance". And I'm pretty sure your definition of "decent chance" contains a higher probability than my "decent chance" definition. I take it you are a lawyer by training, given your affinity towards a single word.

Also, why are you so against folks from being optimistic after a recruit we just got? Do you think it's unnatural and not normal for fans to be optimistic? Should be just say, "you are a player ranked between 25 and 50. You shouldn't even come to Duke because there is a very high chance you will transfer"? I think Jaden has a decent chance to have a strong senior season like Seth Curry (also, Curry averaged 13ppg during his true senior year, not his red shirt senior year).

Finally, as I pointed out earlier, we have no more basis to conclude that Jaden will have a similar career to Seth Curry than we do to conclude the same regarding Steph Curry and/or Russell Westbrook (which is really what I was referring to when I mentioned the lottery). Just because one guy was (or even several guys were) grossly underrated by the recruiting services does not mean every guy is similarly underrated. It's a logical fallacy.

Put another way, there's a LOT higher chance that Jaden Schutt has a career like Joey Baker or Alex O'Connell than there is he has a career like Seth Curry.
    And lastly, no one brought up Steph or Westbrook. The one reference to Steph was a clarification by a poster above who wanted to understand if it was Steph or Seth. I understand you're using hyperbole to compare Jaden's potential (or lack thereof) to two NBA MVPs, but if you're gonna get all fussy over lottery references and Steph/Westbrook when you brought up those two players, I don't know what to tell you.

Interesting that this basketball recruit has his name on the back of many, many football helmets throughout college conferences !

I certainly hope Scheyer does not burn his redshirt. That would be unfortunate.

Jaden Schutt has a career like Joey Baker or Alex O'Connell than there is he has a career like Seth Curry.
    Hope he can prove to be a taller Kyle Guy. Seems possibly based on current tanking.
    Last edited by -jk; 09-06-2021 at 09:32 PM. Reason: fix quote tag

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Pretty sure Reddish was supposed to be 'that guy.'

Apologies if this post is still too soon.
    Nah, OAD's aren't the type I'm talking about. I mean the knockdown shooter guy off the bench who has been around forever. Every mid major who makes a sweet 16 run has one of those guys. It was supposed to be O'Connell, then Joey Baker. Hopefully Baker has 1 good year in him this season.