R.I.P. Ron Bushy

Who?

Well, I guess you have to be a certain age. But this guy laid down one of the all-time drum solos on "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida”. Drumming is not my forte, so I can't speak to how technically brilliant it was (or was not), but it is one of the most memorable instrumentals of all time.

R.I.P.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...-obit-1218422/

Only been about 50 years since I listened to that song. Classic. Doors-ish.

RIP.

Sounded great on 8-track, cruising Franklin Street in Gastonia in my friend’s 64 Impala SS, with a reverberator for a rear speaker, at least until the 8-Track did its clanging/changing track thing. We were every school girls dream (we thought).

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Who?

Well, I guess you have to be a certain age. But this guy laid down one of the all-time drum solos on "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida”. Drumming is not my forte, so I can't speak to how technically brilliant it was (or was not), but it is one of the most memorable instrumentals of all time.

R.I.P.

I just listened to the full tune for what was, I believe, my first time ever. The drum solo is technically quite simple. I think most modern drummers would be able to reproduce it note-for-note with little trouble.

However, the solo is musically brilliant, IMO. He makes great use of space, and he never forgets that he's part of an ongoing musical conversation. He never once loses the "groove" of the song. So many modern drummers are so obsessed with showing off their technical brilliance during a solo that they forget about the other musicians for a time and don't relate what they are doing to what the other musicians have done and are about to do. Even Neil Peart, whom I regard as the greatest rock drummer of all time, was guilty of that. This solo related directly both forward and backward and was an integral part of the whole. Incredibly well done, IMO. I probably have to go buy that album now.

my peer group is dropping quickly... Sail on, ron...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Who?

R.I.P.

I think you may have the name of the tune wrong...Reverend Lovejoy was fairly clear that it's In The Garden of Eden, right?

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I think you may have the name of the tune wrong...Reverend Lovejoy was fairly clear that it's In The Garden of Eden, right?
    The reverend is not taking the proper, ahem, medication to properly appreciate the tune.

The reverend is not taking the proper, ahem, medication to properly appreciate the tune.
    I don't know. God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen is quoted during the organ solo. Isn't that enough for the good reverend?

you're implying the Reverend is not a big micro doser?

Saw Iron Butterfly perform this at the Filmore East. The lights went way down during the drum solo and when they came back up Bushy was shirtless. The magic of tear away shirts!

About 1970 or 1971 I attended an Iron Butterfly concert at Elon College. It took place on a sunny Sunday afternoon in the basketball gym. To a 16-17 year old this was like heaven. I had just discovered hard rock music and the concert was fantastic. Bushy played the drum solo and it sounded just like the recording.
    Tom Mac