Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

2021 Fantasy Football Thread

The 2020 Fantasy thread was briefly revived, but I think it is time to go start the new one!

Just finished my first draft (of two). Did hardly any prep work this year. I made some "panic" picks as a result, but they are guys that I don't mind taking a flyer on and my top guys are solid. Feel like I'm definitely one of the three best teams in the league. Just barely missed on Aaron Rodgers and Gus Edwards, two guys I was targeting. Best of luck to everyone else in your drafts!

QB: Daniel Jones
    WR: DK Metcalf
    WR: DeAndre Hopkins
    RB: Christian McCaffrey
    RB: David Montgomery
    TE: Mark Andrews
    Flex: (See Bench)
    D/ST: Buffalo
    K: Rodrigo Blankenship (Colts)

Bench/Flex:
    Myles Gaskin
    Diontae Johnson
    Kenny Golliday
    Deebo Samuel
    Sony Michele
    Antonio Brown
    Kenyan Drake
    Kirk Cousins

How many teams, and standard or PPR?

I think you may be rough at QB, but hopefully Jones surprises.

Assuming it is a 10-team, it is surprising that both Metcalf and Hopkins fell to the 20s AND that Montgomery fell to the 40s. Are you in a league that guys draft QBs and defenses early?

Half PPR, 10 team. No early defenses (at least not that early), but QBs and TEs were flying off the shelves haha (basically one per round the first 5 rounds).

I was more surprised by Hopkins/Metcalf than Montgomery. I really didn't want 2 WR in the first 3 rounds but I couldn't pass either of them up. I'm not worried about QB, Cousins was perfectly fine last year and DJ could be lined up for a big jump this year. There are plenty of serviceable free agents as well...QB isn't really a worry in a 10 team league (IMO).

Oh, I feel compelled to add that my team name is "Hey, Darnold!" and my avatar icon is a little cartoon ghost.

Yeah I definitely like your RB and WR situation. Seems like everyone you got from rounds 2-10 went later than they “should” have. Getting the top RB, two top-5ish WR, and a top-5 TE is very solid positioning. You probably got an extra WR that you “shouldn’t” have been able to get because of it.

I suspect you may be streaming at QB at some point unless Fields or Lance is available and hits, but you should be in good shape with your solidity at RB/WR/TE so it may not matter too much.

Fields, Lance, Lawrence, Winston, and Big Ben are all available (I've debated adding one). Plus mid-tier streaming options like Fitzpatrick, Winston, Newton, Carr etc.

One weird thing I've not had to deal with before, limit of FOUR transactions per week. Very counter to my usual style if constant adding/dropping to look for guys that are going to pop

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Fields, Lance, Lawrence, Winston, and Big Ben are all available (I've debated adding one). Plus mid-tier streaming options like Fitzpatrick, Winston, Newton, Carr etc.

One weird thing I've not had to deal with before, limit of FOUR transactions per week. Very counter to my usual style if constant adding/dropping to look for guys that are going to pop
    Yuck, I dislike rules like this. At least 4 transactions per week is not too too restrictive (I typically make 1-2 moves per week, though I guess I can imagine times when more than 4 moves might be made), although I do have concerns with COVID potentially wrenching things.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Yuck, I dislike rules like this. At least 4 transactions per week is not too too restrictive (I typically make 1-2 moves per week, though I guess I can imagine times when more than 4 moves might be made), although I do have concerns with COVID potentially wrenching things.
    I don't love it, but agree that 4 isn't too bad. I am usually one of the most active players in any league I'm in. We do have 3 IR spots to try to deal with COVID (although I think that plus our deep benches will lead to too much stashing especially with the transaction limits). I'll add that there is definitely a...mix of skill levels in this league, to help answer some of your questions about how the draft panned out.

I think I'm going to stand pat at QB through week 1 (if DJ is going to ball out this year I think we'll know by that Monday, if not I can move on at that point). My thinking on QBs (this also applies to TEs although I was able to snag one this year) is generally that if you can't get one of the top 4-5 "elite" guys, the cost is too high and the difference is too small to spend a mid-round pick on any of the next guys (I don't think Stafford is that much better that Cousins, but he was going 4-5 rounds higher for example).

Now trying to decide if I want to drop someone to add Darnell Mooney. The obvious candidate would be Sony Michel, but that makes me ultra thin at RB (I have so many WR, this league went RB heavy early) and looking at the FA list it is an RB wasteland, plus I think Michel will end up being serviceable even playing behind Henderson and would be a locked in starter if Henderson missed time.

I'm pretty used to posting in the fantasy football threads on DBR. A couple of weeks ago, I dropped out of my last FF league, one I had been in more than a decade. After having played since it was done with newspapers and landline calls, I have to admit that it feels really good to not have to worry about it. Over the last couple of years, I just stopped enjoying it and realized that I was just playing out of habit.

Hope you all have successful FF seasons. I think that when I'm ready to play again, I'm going to try and set up my own league so I can use the ruleset that I prefer. I suspect it might be a few years before that happens!

Knowing myself, I'll still probably read this thread out of curiosity :-)

I had at one time thought about trying to set up a DBR FFB league. But I'm in two leagues now, and that's more than enough to threaten my productivity at work for 4 months .

I don't love it, but agree that 4 isn't too bad. I am usually one of the most active players in any league I'm in. We do have 3 IR spots to try to deal with COVID (although I think that plus our deep benches will lead to too much stashing especially with the transaction limits). I'll add that there is definitely a...mix of skill levels in this league, to help answer some of your questions about how the draft panned out.

I think I'm going to stand pat at QB through week 1 (if DJ is going to ball out this year I think we'll know by that Monday, if not I can move on at that point). My thinking on QBs (this also applies to TEs although I was able to snag one this year) is generally that if you can't get one of the top 4-5 "elite" guys, the cost is too high and the difference is too small to spend a mid-round pick on any of the next guys (I don't think Stafford is that much better that Cousins, but he was going 4-5 rounds higher for example).

Now trying to decide if I want to drop someone to add Darnell Mooney. The obvious candidate would be Sony Michel, but that makes me ultra thin at RB (I have so many WR, this league went RB heavy early) and looking at the FA list it is an RB wasteland, plus I think Michel will end up being serviceable even playing behind Henderson and would be a locked in starter if Henderson missed time.
    Yeah, I tend to think you should keep your RB. Both of your late-round guys have an avenue to legitimate fantasy value, and like you said the post-draft RB wire is generally bleak. Plus, while I love Mooney as a breakout candidate this year (especially so if/when Fields takes over), you have so much quality and depth at WR that I think you'll find it unlikely to miss Mooney. You might be able to quibble over Mooney vs Antonio Brown (and yes, that DOES feel ridiculous to type), but Brown also has huge upside especially in a PPR league.

What your draft results do hammer home for me is that for my drafts (first one this Friday!) I think I really want to get my RBs early. The quality of WRs available in the middle and even late rounds is just SOOOOO good, and the RB quality drops so quickly. So I think I really want to have at 3 RBs through the first 5 rounds. Even if I don't have ANY WR in the first 5 rounds, I can probably still piece together enough in rounds 6-10 that it works out okay. I mean, Johnson, Golladay, Samuel, and Brown could each conceivably be top-10 or top-15 WR if things play out right. I definitely won't have the best WR if I take that strategy, but I should have enough depth that hopefully 2 stick for me. Especially if it means I have a top crop of RBs and a top TE.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I had at one time thought about trying to set up a DBR FFB league. But I'm in two leagues now, and that's more than enough to threaten my productivity at work for 4 months .
    I think about it every year but I'm never sure if there would be enough interest.

I think about it every year but I'm never sure if there would be enough interest.
    I'm in.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    I'm in.
    Need 8 more, room for 14

Need 8 more, room for 14
    O I’d be in for sure
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

12 Team/ .5 ppr/ pick 6 I wasn’t super happy with my team this year. I had a set plan that got messed up when Kelce fell back to me in the 2nd round at pick 19, I couldn’t let him pass. It made me thin at rb so I grabbed all the rookies who mattered, just hoping one breaks out and another is usable.

QB: Ryan Tannehill
    RB: Zeke
    RB:
    WR: AJ Brown
    WR: Allen Robinson
    TE: Kelce
    Flex: see bench

Bench rbs:
    Javonte Williams
    Tre Sermon
    Michael Carter
    Chase Edmonds

Bench wrs:
    Sutton
    Marquise Brown
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

That looks solid for a 12 team league. I dread having a TE fall to me in the first 3 rounds. I didn't even like taking 2 WR in the first 3. I'm all about loading up on RBs early... I'd prefer to go RB-RB-RB (and have) as long as things shake out that there are viable backs available at each pick.

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    12 Team/ .5 ppr/ pick 6 I wasn’t super happy with my team this year. I had a set plan that got messed up when Kelce fell back to me in the 2nd round at pick 19, I couldn’t let him pass. It made me thin at rb so I grabbed all the rookies who mattered, just hoping one breaks out and another is usable.

QB: Ryan Tannehill
    RB: Zeke
    RB:
    WR: AJ Brown
    WR: Allen Robinson
    TE: Kelce
    Flex: see bench

Bench rbs:
    Javonte Williams
    Tre Sermon
    Michael Carter
    Chase Edmonds

Bench wrs:
    Sutton
    Marquise Brown
    The last time I looked at the NYJ depth chart, Michael Carter was the #4 RB. One team owner in my league just dropped Myles Gaskins(Miami) to pick up Gus Edwards(Balt), which was a good move since Dobbins is out for the year. I picked up Gaskins last night and dropped Damien Harris(NE). The Patriots have the #5 rated offensive line but they have been known to split up RB duties. James White will certainly be used in passing downs. Gaskins was one of my best RBs last year and he's one of the best pass receiving RBs in the NFL.

The last time I looked at the NYJ depth chart, Michael Carter was the #4 RB. One team owner in my league just dropped Myles Gaskins(Miami) to pick up Gus Edwards(Balt), which was a good move since Dobbins is out for the year. I picked up Gaskins last night and dropped Damien Harris(NE). The Patriots have the #5 rated offensive line but they have been known to split up RB duties. James White will certainly be used in passing downs. Gaskins was one of my best RBs last year and he's one of the best pass receiving RBs in the NFL.
    Is this an 8 man league? Harris and Gaskin should both stay rostered.

Carter (barring injury) should finish first in carries. Those depth charts don’t mean much until week 1.

I want to play in this league! Can't believe any of those backs listed would be available right now (although you are right not to trust the Patriots backfield).