Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Yep very long ago- The original Dope Shop closed almost 40 years ago (1982) when the Bryan Center opened.

https://today.duke.edu/2014/05/dopeshops
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Dope Shop was still there in ‘88. But sure after that.

A soda and two Dope Dogs was a staple breakfast, I am not proud to say.
    Yes, definitely not there in '88. One of the women who served up your chili dogs and shakes was a distant cousin of mine. My mom used to work book rush in the old bookstore there. Mr. Rainey used to give me the free samples of Duke tees the vendors would give him. I had several unique tees. Good times.

I can't say I was a Dean Sue fan. I remember her role in attempting to ban bench burning during the 1997-98 season.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Yep very long ago- The original Dope Shop closed almost 40 years ago (1982) when the Bryan Center opened.

https://today.duke.edu/2014/05/dopeshops
    There was a Dope Shop on East when I was there in the mid-80’s, in the same building as the Coffeehouse and the Post Office (IIRC). Is that not the original location?

Quote Originally Posted by 75Crazie View Post
    I feel really old; the writer of that article felt the need to explain what the Dope Shop was. It can't be that long ago, can it?
    They had great milk shakes!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

There was a Dope Shop on East when I was there in the mid-80’s, in the same building as the Coffeehouse and the Post Office (IIRC). Is that not the original location?
    No. The original was in the basement of the old West Union building.

No, no, no. West basement next to barbershop and mailboxes. Had a coffee and 1 Kristy Kreme every morning walking to class. Milkshakes were a luxury.

About 15 years ago, I ran into one of the Door Shop fountain employees from the 60s. She was the only young person behind the counter then. We reminisced and she told me the old milkshake machines were in a place on 9th St.

My Dean Sue story is that I tried to walk through the glass wall at the back of Penn Pavilion, when I was at a meeting there. She and two others kindly came to my aid - I was bleeding on the forehead and had at least a mild concussion (more out out of it than usual). She got decals put on the glass to prevent a recurrence. I clearly made my mark at Duke

Quote Originally Posted by SlapTheFloor View Post
    I can't say I was a Dean Sue fan. I remember her role in attempting to ban bench burning during the 1997-98 season.
    Not exactly a crazy position: perhaps it’s best that a mob of students not run around burning benches. Such a boring, responsible take.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Not exactly a crazy position: perhaps it’s best that a mob of students not run around burning benches. Such a boring, responsible take.
    Please insert “mostly drunk” in front of mob. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    About 15 years ago, I ran into one of the Door Shop fountain employees from the 60s. She was the only young person behind the counter then. We reminisced and she told me the old milkshake machines were in a place on 9th St.

My Dean Sue story is that I tried to walk through the glass wall at the back of Penn Pavilion, when I was at a meeting there. She and two others kindly came to my aid - I was bleeding on the forehead and had at least a mild concussion (more out out of it than usual). She got decals put on the glass to prevent a recurrence. I clearly made my mark at Duke
    Hm. If only she worked for the athletics department, imagine all that would have gotten done
    April 1

There was one there too-- next door to "The Ark".

I had a few dealings with Dean Sue back when she was a new dean, mostly in an adversarial position.

The most memorable was when I went to get permission to build a bonfire for a party on the patio at Wannamaker.
    I had to play this game of getting permission from her and the public safety head. I think I went to her first and she basically said if it's ok with the public safety guy, then she's ok with it. Basically trying to put the responsibility on him. So then I go talk to him and artfully tell him what she said in a way he thinks he's putting the responsibility on her. Then I go back to her and tell her the public safety guy was good with it and all was well.

There were no problems with the bonfire even though it was a lot bigger than they probably expected it would be thanks to a rented chainsaw and an official university truck I was able to borrow. No way we could have pulled such a thing off now.

Quote Originally Posted by Dedgummit View Post
    There was one there too-- next door to "The Ark".
    Yes there were two--
    the dope shop (in the basement of the student union) and the "East Campus Dope Shop" which was in the Crowell Building next to the ark.
    Both were wonderful survivals of prime historical 1930s-40s soda fountains, especially the East Campus which featured a store with old behind the counter storage for the goods, and a beautiful long counter facing a long window seat with tables...then one day I walked into the building on East (in the 80s) and all that history had been ripped out and replaced with a lurid and ill-designed "Burger King" type/self serve set up. Over the years, unfortunately, I have seen Duke be a poor steward of much that would be of historical or architectural interest or simply beautiful on East Campus, especially. I wonder if they have ever even had a master plan for campus development, or just plop, say a softball field or a buidling down wherever it would destroy the most scenery,

I'm not digging out my JPG collection for DBR, but I'm pretty sure it didn't matter--both in the wee hours on Sunday AM outside my dorm room and 2 days later.

I would have guessed that she retired before now.

Quote Originally Posted by devilirium View Post
    Duke and PC go together like PB & J.
    PB&J is not allowed at a lot of schools anymore.

Farewell and thank you Dean Sue!

To borrow somebody else's line, "Uh no", that's not how it went. There's a not-so-fine line between "let's ban bench burning" and "let's make sure we don't burn down a dorm or catch an oak tree on fire". The Durham fire marshal was the key advocate for the former, while Dean Sue and most other reasonable members of the Duke community saw the logic in the latter. Did what happened in the Spring of 1998 generally suck? Definitely. But ultimately Dean Sue, as was quite often the case, was integral to the solution that's survived for more than two decades. Who do you think created the A-Team, whose sole purpose was to keep that balance so that bonfires wouldn't be banned entirely? (Also, credit to my roommate from Austin, TX in the Summer of 1998 who got back to campus that Fall and literally got out a tape measure to see how wide the quad is - not sure why the rest of us didn't think of that. )

Quote Originally Posted by rocketeli View Post
    Over the years, unfortunately, I have seen Duke be a poor steward of much that would be of historical or architectural interest or simply beautiful on East Campus, especially. I wonder if they have ever even had a master plan for campus development, or just plop, say a softball field or a buidling down wherever it would destroy the most scenery,
    Count me as one of those who was horrified to see so many very old, beautiful trees cut down for the softball field. I asked someone “in authority” and was assured that there was an arborist who advised on the health of the trees to be removed (color me skeptical, as it was surely a coincidence that all the trees that “needed” to be removed were in the exact spot where they wanted to build the field). I understand the value of the field, but I hated to see those trees removed.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    No, no, no. West basement next to barbershop and mailboxes. Had a coffee and 1 Kristy Kreme every morning walking to class. Milkshakes were a luxury.
    It was a milk and 2 donuts for me. (The milk was a healthy choice back then). I don't remember them being Krispy Kremes, though it is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevil2K View Post
    To borrow somebody else's line, "Uh no", that's not how it went. There's a not-so-fine line between "let's ban bench burning" and "let's make sure we don't burn down a dorm or catch an oak tree on fire". The Durham fire marshal was the key advocate for the former, while Dean Sue and most other reasonable members of the Duke community saw the logic in the latter. Did what happened in the Spring of 1998 generally suck? Definitely. But ultimately Dean Sue, as was quite often the case, was integral to the solution that's survived for more than two decades. Who do you think created the A-Team, whose sole purpose was to keep that balance so that bonfires wouldn't be banned entirely? (Also, credit to my roommate from Austin, TX in the Summer of 1998 who got back to campus that Fall and literally got out a tape measure to see how wide the quad is - not sure why the rest of us didn't think of that. )
    She may have been integral to the eventual solution, but that certainly did not appear to be her position at first when the University was pushing its foam parties. I'm sure she wasn't culpable for Campus Police's crackdown, but, when students rebelled and started a non-game-related bonfire in protest, she described it as her lowest day. Personally, it was one of the days I was most proud to be a Duke student.

Quote Originally Posted by Atldukie79 View Post
    It was a milk and 2 donuts for me. (The milk was a healthy choice back then). I don't remember them being Krispy Kremes, though it is possible.
    Mertola milk? I got the stuff from the brown cows that tasted a bit like chocolate...