Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    We have not lost a participant in 4 weeks... we are due for a big upset that takes out a bunch of us.

-Jason "feels like Giants over Chiefs could be that upset..." Evans
    I suspect that there are players like me who have taken the obvious team each week and will soon run out of the stronger teams and will have to start taking chances. That will narrow the field even without a major upset.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    I suspect that there are players like me who have taken the obvious team each week and will soon run out of the stronger teams and will have to start taking chances. That will narrow the field even without a major upset.
    I try to plan ahead at least a few weeks so as to avoid painting myself into one of these corners.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    I try to plan ahead at least a few weeks so as to avoid painting myself into one of these corners.
    I prefer taking big swings (especially since I'm only alive in the one-strike pool) - won with the Jags a couple weeks ago and taking the Lions this week!
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

I'm not in the DBR league but I'm rolling with KC this round on ESPN. I feel like it might have been a trap game opportunity if they hadn't just gotten pantsed by Tennessee. I think they're gonna score 50 on Monday.

That said, yeah, there are definitely schools of thought in these things. Some folks take the easiest win each week, some play the matchup each week, some like to save their "good" teams for later in the season.

I think I'm probably in the middle camp: almost always betting against one of the Lions/Texans/Jets/Jags depending on best matchup. I know there will be a few weeks later in the season where it will get dicey. But my hope is just to outlast enough folks to give myself a chance in December!

You can only pick a team to win once, but you can pick against the Jets every week!

As the season goes on it’s best to look ahead a bit. You don’t want to save Arizona and Tampa, and maybe they play each other the last week. You’re probably not picking that game, and you wasted chances to use both - and maybe having to have used teams that would get you through week 17.

We have not lost a participant in 4 weeks... we are due for a big upset that takes out a bunch of us.

-Jason "feels like Giants over Chiefs could be that upset..." Evans
    This year has had SO MANY of the close games go to the favorite in the end. In my bigger league, I'm in the final ~third of participants whereas in a normal year I'd be in the final ~10% at this point. Oh well.

Currently struggling to decide if Bengals is an easy pick or a trap game. Hmm...

I'm kinda stuck choosing between the Iggles or the Titians.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    This year has had SO MANY of the close games go to the favorite in the end. In my bigger league, I'm in the final ~third of participants whereas in a normal year I'd be in the final ~10% at this point. Oh well.

Currently struggling to decide if Bengals is an easy pick or a trap game. Hmm...
    Yeah, I'm now contemplating between Cincy and KC. Currently I have KC because of the the home game and the rebound game opportunity. But Cincy does have some appeal given the opponent.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    I'm kinda stuck choosing between the Iggles or the Titians.
    The twelve-year-old in me is wondering how best to pronounce the second one.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    In my head, the Colts are always the Clots, and the Bills are always the Williams.

Tee-shuns

So as not to further descend us, I will share this:

1280px-Carlos_V_en_Mühlberg,_by_Titian,_from_Prado_in_Google_Earth.jpg

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    The Isabella Stewart Garner Museum has a Titian exhibit going on right now - thank you for reminding me that I have to get over there before January 2nd.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    The Isabella Stewart Garner Museum has a Titian exhibit going on right now - thank you for reminding me that I have to get over there before January 2nd.
    Say hi to the empty holes for me.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Tee-shuns

So as not to further descend us, I will share this:

1280px-Carlos_V_en_Mühlberg,_by_Titian,_from_Prado_in_Google_Earth.jpg
    For the record, while I am not familiar with (or, perhaps charitably, had forgotten about) the artist, I did know how to pronounce it. It was specifically my 12-year-old self who was...um...tittering. Some male habits are developed early and are very hard to break, sadly.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Say hi to the empty holes for me.
    Too soon.

For the record, while I am not familiar with (or, perhaps charitably, had forgotten about) the artist, I did know how to pronounce it. It was specifically my 12-year-old self who was...um...tittering. Some male habits are developed early and are very hard to break, sadly.
    Darn, so I should have posted Venus of Urbino without comment...

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I'm not in the DBR league but I'm rolling with KC this round on ESPN. I feel like it might have been a trap game opportunity if they hadn't just gotten pantsed by Tennessee. I think they're gonna score 50 on Monday.

That said, yeah, there are definitely schools of thought in these things. Some folks take the easiest win each week, some play the matchup each week, some like to save their "good" teams for later in the season.

I think I'm probably in the middle camp: almost always betting against one of the Lions/Texans/Jets/Jags depending on best matchup. I know there will be a few weeks later in the season where it will get dicey. But my hope is just to outlast enough folks to give myself a chance in December!
    My view is that I need to be around next week to worry about next week, so I pick the highest chance game and don’t try to save teams. The NFL is the ultimate small sample size league, and also has high frequency of injury, so the team you save for later may not even be good later. But I never win these things so what do I know.

Interestingly in the ESPN contest 223 people (out of 103,405 still alive) took Arizona last night. Even more interestingly, 77 people took Green Bay… on the road… without their top 2 WR… and they won!

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Yeah, I'm now contemplating between Cincy and KC. Currently I have KC because of the the home game and the rebound game opportunity. But Cincy does have some appeal given the opponent.
    I am always about picking against a team more than picking for one. That is why I am on Cincy this week. I'm fairly sure I have picked against the Jets, Jags, Lions, and Texans every week this year. Picking the Chiefs over Giants would be a major departure for me as the Giants are leaps and bounds better than those other bottom feeders.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I am always about picking against a team more than picking for one. That is why I am on Cincy this week. I'm fairly sure I have picked against the Jets, Jags, Lions, and Texans every week this year. Picking the Chiefs over Giants would be a major departure for me as the Giants are leaps and bounds better than those other bottom feeders.
    I don't think the Giants are better than the Lions, who may be winless but have come dangerously close numerous times even against good teams like Baltimore, Minnesota, and the Rams. I'd put them in the same category. The Jets, for example, did beat the Titans, which I feel is comparable in quality to the Giants' wins over the Saints and their blowout of the Panthers. I think all 3 of those teams are bad but capable of winning a game, along with the Jaguars and Dolphins. The Texans with Mills at QB are the only team I put in "no chance" territory right now, and even they almost upset the Pats.

The only reason I'm not dead-set on the Bengals is that they play on the road. Young QB playing on the road against a team that has already scalped a pretty darn good team this year has a bit of a risk to it.