Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

MBB: Duke 64, State 76 Post Game Thread

Good season, tough end. Houston took it out of us.

Looking forward to next season.

Good luck, State!

(Remember, no venting)

-jk

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Jon Scheyer took a team many around here had given up on to the Elite 8. A team that was one of the youngest in the field. A team that was missing its sixth man, and playing a 6.5 man rotation. And we got to the Elite 8.

Everything went wrong today. We missed shots we normally make, NC State made contested shots, and the refs exacerbated things (wasn’t at all the deciding factor, but certainly made the end result look worse than it probably should’ve been). That’s the heartbreak of the tournament.

I’m so proud of this team. I love our coach, who is IN HIS SECOND YEAR. We’ll be anxiously awaiting some decisions over the next few weeks, but unless something crazy happens we’re going to be really good next year.

We went from a 5 seed and a second round exit last year to a 4 seed and an Elite 8 this year. Theres every reason to be optimistic we can take another step forward next year.

Go Duke.

No venting allowed!
    Bob Green

Gave up 55 points in the second half. They couldn't miss and Duke couldn't hit.

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Jon Scheyer took a team many around here had given up on to the Elite 8. A team that was one of the youngest in the field. A team that was missing its sixth man, and playing a 6.5 man rotation. And we got to the Elite 8.

Everything went wrong today. We missed shots we normally make, NC State made contested shots, and the refs exacerbated things (wasn’t at all the deciding factor, but certainly made the end result look worse than it probably should’ve been). That’s the heartbreak of the tournament.

I’m so proud of this team. I love our coach, who is IN HIS SECOND YEAR. We’ll be anxiously awaiting some decisions over the next few weeks, but unless something crazy happens we’re going to be really good next year.

We went from a 5 seed and a second round exit last year to a 4 seed and an Elite 8 this year. Theres every reason to be optimistic we can take another step forward next year.

Go Duke.
    Good write up, Scott. I agree with all of that. Hoping for better things next year. Tonight just was not our night. All about shooting.

Horrible, painful way to lose. But please don’t embarrass us. Think before you post. Much as we go to IC after they lose, people come here. Mods will be working OT tonight.

Great season. I didn’t have them beating Houston, so everything else was gravy. Do wish they lost on a better played game. They played like trash pretty much the entire game.

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post

Go Duke.
    Nice summary. I love our coach and our team.
    Maybe some of our players will decide they have unfinished business….one can hope.

Really disappointed in this effort today mentally. Obviously shots weren’t going down but lost all poise early in second half. Our leaders didn’t step up and in fact Kyle crumbled mentally. Sad to watch

I wasn't sure we would go this far after the ACC tournament. I'm not happy we lost. We had a good year.

Frustrating loss. Hats off to NC State, they deserved it but Duke picked an awful time to tighten up and play a really poor 20 minutes. Oh well, thanks to the guys for a good season and best of luck wherever they end up.

Such a disappointing second half and now begins the who will return speculation.

Elite Eight is nothing to sneeze at but this one will burn for a while because we just didn’t play well on any front other than first half defense.

What a ride. We overachieved by reaching the elite 8 as a four seed.

Just a real shame we couldn’t get Jon into the final four in his second year as coach. Being the heavy favourites against a 14 loss team was a real bummer. We just ran out of legs after the Houston battle.

I’m hoping we see roach and proctor back next year though. If those two return, we have a good shot at the final four. Especially with more athletic players coming in next year.

Proud of the team and we gave it our all.

Pulling for NC State to win it all now.
    No soup for you!

This is a different era. Yku can't win with young teams anymore. Unfortunately, the same is in store next year. All the hype for the top recruiting class means nothing. Have to recruit the portal, develop players.

Congrats to an inspired State group of players, Coach Keats, and its great story. Special congrats to PackMan 97!

Transfer portal is crucial

It's hard for Duke to retain players it seems, so the portal is really going to be crucial for us to get back to winning a title

Actually amazing how long we were in it shooting like that. Just needed one guy to get semi-hot (or at least hit shots he usually hits), but it never came. Tough ending to a great run.

Just wish we could have McCain back, but I know that’s an impossibility. He’s for sure gone in the draft. But he was our dog this year. Loved his grit and determination, and his lack of tightening up in big games. If you were watching to the very end you would see that he was playing all out to the last tick of the clock. Love that about him. Need more players like him going forward.

Congratulations Duke. Great season, exceeding expectations, especially given all the injuries.