Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Saw an article in the Asbury Park Press this morning on how the Jets Rookies are doing. Michael Carter II (from Duke) was rated as the Jets best performing rookie (best bang for the buck I'd say). Here is the blurb:

"Before the season there was some hand-wringing about the Jets moving on from Brian Poole, their previous starting cornerback and the only proven player at the position on last year’s team. Carter II has made the Jets look smart for their decision to roll with young players. Carter has been the Jets’ most consistent and best rookie since Week 1. He’s reliable in coverage, a solid tackler and graded out as one of the top cornerbacks in the NFL through his first five games: Pro Football Focus had him ranked in the top 25 out of more than 100 cornerbacks after the loss to the Falcons earlier this month."

MCII was the Jets' 6th pick (5th rounder) in the 2021 draft.

Larry
    DevilHorse

Quote Originally Posted by DevilHorse View Post
    Saw an article in the Asbury Park Press this morning on how the Jets Rookies are doing. Michael Carter II (from Duke) was rated as the Jets best performing rookie (best bang for the buck I'd say). Here is the blurb:

"Before the season there was some hand-wringing about the Jets moving on from Brian Poole, their previous starting cornerback and the only proven player at the position on last year’s team. Carter II has made the Jets look smart for their decision to roll with young players. Carter has been the Jets’ most consistent and best rookie since Week 1. He’s reliable in coverage, a solid tackler and graded out as one of the top cornerbacks in the NFL through his first five games: Pro Football Focus had him ranked in the top 25 out of more than 100 cornerbacks after the loss to the Falcons earlier this month."

MCII was the Jets' 6th pick (5th rounder) in the 2021 draft.

Larry
    DevilHorse
    I thought Carter played for the CHEATS not Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    I thought Carter played for the CHEATS not Duke.
    Michael Carter the running back played for UNC. Michael Carter II, the defensive back, played for Duke. Jets cornered the market and took both of them in successive rounds of the draft.
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    Michael Carter the running back played for UNC. Michael Carter II, the defensive back, played for Duke. Jets cornered the market and took both of them in successive rounds of the draft.
    Thanks, I had forgotten the good Carter played for the Jets.

GoDuke!

It was confusing on draft day, and remains confusing now.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    It was confusing on draft day, and remains confusing now.
    I like to think the Jets got confused and took the wrong one, then got lucky when the right one was still there a round later. Change my mind!
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

I like to think the Jets got confused and took the wrong one, then got lucky when the right one was still there a round later. Change my mind!
    I think you're right - so no mind changing attempts from this corner.

Michael Carter (UNC -RB) was the 4th of 7 on this reporter's evaluation of 'bang for the buck' Rookies on this list, just behind Zach Wilson (3rd of 7); probably tells you all you need to know.

Michael Carter II, by my observation, has been exceeding expectations since game 1 when he stopped a player dead on the 5 yard line bam/down. He does something that Jet cornerbacks (other than the young Revis) have rarely done; he tackles and defends. Cornerbacks for the Jets usually allow catches and hit the receiver in the hopes of dislodging the ball (both of which are less effective at stopping players and advancing the ball). Hitting doesn't always end the play. Quarterbacks appear to learn not to throw toward Carter island as the game wears on.

Larry
    DevilHorse

Congrats to Deon Jackson, promoted to the Colts active roster!

https://twitter.com/Colts/status/145...761623041?s=20

Jamison Crowder had eight catches for 84 yards as the Jets upset Cincy 34-31. He did lose a fumble.

And Michael Carter added two tackles and a pass defended.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Jamison Crowder had eight catches for 84 yards as the Jets upset Cincy 34-31. He did lose a fumble.

doesn't show up in the box score but he also tossed a 2 pt conversion to Mike White!
    Pratt '09, Grad '10

Quote Originally Posted by ecs15 View Post
    doesn't show up in the box score but he also tossed a 2 pt conversion to Mike White!
    Crowder, I assume.

Way cool.

Carter II blitzed and hit the arm of Burrow the QB as he was about to pass, causing an incomplete pass. Making his mark and being used aggressively in the defense.

Fun game.

Larry
    DevilHorse

Ross Cockrell with a late hold that helped New Orleans with the go-ahead field goal. Saints add a pick-six and win. Always glad to see Brady go down but hate to see a Cockrell mistake help in that.

Noah Gray got his first NFL TD last night!

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Noah Gray got his first NFL TD last night!
    And it was a big one. Fourth and goal from the one with KC up 17-14, IIRC.

And Gray was seriously pumped. As well he should have been

And it was a big one. Fourth and goal from the one with KC up 17-14, IIRC.

And Gray was seriously pumped. As well he should have been
    His team seemed to be really excited for him, too. I believe he crossed in front of an open Travis Kelce for the reception.

Deon Jackson makes, uh, quite the appearance in Hard Knocks when the coach reviews one of his special teams plays. Must be seen to be believed (video in the Tweet):

https://twitter.com/deon_jackson4/st...57142884474881

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Deon Jackson makes, uh, quite the appearance in Hard Knocks when the coach reviews one of his special teams plays. Must be seen to be believed (video in the Tweet):

https://twitter.com/deon_jackson4/st...57142884474881
    With all due respect to Deon... after all, he IS in the NFL... that was one of the funniest thing I've ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by gep View Post
    With all due respect to Deon... after all, he IS in the NFL... that was one of the funniest thing I've ever seen.
    He's being a great sport about it!