Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Surprisingly, to me at least, Matt Skura was cut by Miami. I have to think there's a spot for him somewhere in the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Surprisingly, to me at least, Matt Skura was cut by Miami. I have to think there's a spot for him somewhere in the NFL.
    The Dolphins got some really good play from a second rounder out of Notre Dame who has earned a starting spot on the left side. They then moved the starting left guard to Center, ahead of Skura. Then when the Dolphins acquired another backup guard/center the other day and pushed Matt down to third string, the handwriting was on the wall. But I agree with you, Matt has value and I'd be surprised if there's not a spot for him somewhere in the league, as he is still young and has some experience.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    The Dolphins got some really good play from a second rounder out of Notre Dame who has earned a starting spot on the left side. They then moved the starting left guard to Center, ahead of Skura. Then when the Dolphins acquired another backup guard/center the other day and pushed Matt down to third string, the handwriting was on the wall. But I agree with you, Matt has value and I'd be surprised if there's not a spot for him somewhere in the league, as he is still young and has some experience.
    Do the Giants need a center, or is that the only position on that line that isn't a gaping hole for the defense?

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Do the Giants need a center, or is that the only position on that line that isn't a gaping hole for the defense?
    When I was doing research for my fantasy football team, I looked up the rankings of all the NFL teams. Here are the worst of the lot:

#24) Houston...run blocking bad...pass protection worse than run blocking.
    #25) Chicago...both bad
    #26) Atlanta... both bad
    #27) Miami.. this one didn't make sense to me. Said improved but still had ???
    #28) Minnesota.. run blocking average pass protection very poor.
    #29) Carolina...both bad.
    #30) Cincinnati... run blocking bad, pass protection very bad.
    #31) Pittsburgh..both bad and have lost some of their good OL.
    #32) NY Giants...both bad.

Minnesota and Carolina are surprising, given McCaffrey and Dalvin Cook are two of the top 3 running backs in football.

Maybe Skura can catch on with one of these 9 teams.

Any news on Deon Jackson? Know he got cut by Indy.

Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    Any news on Deon Jackson? Know he got cut by Indy.
    taxi squad evidently. Someone ahead of him is bound to get hurt, it's the NFL after all.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    When I was doing research for my fantasy football team, I looked up the rankings of all the NFL teams. Here are the worst of the lot:

#24) Houston...run blocking bad...pass protection worse than run blocking.
    #25) Chicago...both bad
    #26) Atlanta... both bad
    #27) Miami.. this one didn't make sense to me. Said improved but still had ???
    #28) Minnesota.. run blocking average pass protection very poor.
    #29) Carolina...both bad.
    #30) Cincinnati... run blocking bad, pass protection very bad.
    #31) Pittsburgh..both bad and have lost some of their good OL.
    #32) NY Giants...both bad.

Minnesota and Carolina are surprising, given McCaffrey and Dalvin Cook are two of the top 3 running backs in football.

Maybe Skura can catch on with one of these 9 teams.
    Well, one of them [Miami] just released him. So, they may not be his best option.

Any word in Joe Giles Harris or Mark Gilbert?
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Any word in Joe Giles Harris or Mark Gilbert?
    Joe Giles-Harris was announced as a member of the Bills' practice squad this afternoon, and Mark Gilbert was similarly added to the Steelers' practice squad today.

Just FYI - Practice Squad players make $9200 per week if they have 2 or fewer years of NFL experience. Players on the practice squad who are more experienced earn $14,000 per week. If they get elevated to the regular roster, that goes up to something north of $35,000 per week (depends on service time).
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Good stuff.

Adam Rowe Retweeted
    Jordan Raanan
    @JordanRaanan
    The #Giants are expected to sign OL Matt Skura to the practice squad, per source. Another interior lineman. Has played for the Ravens and Dolphins. Brings experience. He has 51 career starts! Has been a starter each of the last four seasons.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Good stuff.

Adam Rowe Retweeted
    Jordan Raanan
    @JordanRaanan
    The #Giants are expected to sign OL Matt Skura to the practice squad, per source. Another interior lineman. Has played for the Ravens and Dolphins. Brings experience. He has 51 career starts! Has been a starter each of the last four seasons.
    Did something happen to him? I thought he was going to be the starter in Baltimore for a long time until he suddenly wasn't (seems like he struggled for a little bit before they cut him loose, admittedly).

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Did something happen to him? I thought he was going to be the starter in Baltimore for a long time until he suddenly wasn't (seems like he struggled for a little bit before they cut him loose, admittedly).
    yeah, the Ravens soured on him. But the Giants' OL is a horror show, a real opportunity for him to grab a starting spot.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    yeah, the Ravens soured on him. But the Giants' OL is a horror show, a real opportunity for him to grab a starting spot.
    IIRC, he suffered a bad knee injury with the Ravens in 2019.

By the way, Skura had signed with Miami on a 1 year deal for $1.75 million with $400k guaranteed. So, even though he did not play a single down for them, he gets $400,000.

Because he is more of a veteran, his practice squad deal with the Giants is more lucrative than the normal practice squad contract. He will be making $242k, about $14.2k per game. That number will pretty much triple if he gets elevated to the main squad, which would seem likely as soon as the Giants have any injuries on the O-Line, if not sooner.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    That number will pretty much triple if he gets elevated to the main squad, which would seem likely as soon as the Giants have any injuries on the O-Line, if not sooner.
    Coach - "Rookie Bob jammed his toe, call up Matt"

Rookie Bob - "Huh? No I'm fine."

Coach - Slowly reaches for hammer
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Jamison Crowder has apparently tested positive for COVID - vaccination status unknown.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...19-source-says
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Well, one of them [Miami] just released him. So, they may not be his best option.
    Shoot, I thought it was like fantasy football and they can have a do over.

Eleven Blue Devils make 53 man rosters with five more on practice squads:

https://goduke.com/news/2021/9/7/foo...ter-spots.aspx
    Bob Green

Jamison Crowder has apparently tested positive for COVID - vaccination status unknown.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...19-source-says
    Crowder will miss the opener against the Panthers. He was vaccinated,
    https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...olina-panthers
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide