Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    How do you refill the candy dispensers? I’m honestly curious.
    And where to you get the gators for the moat?

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    And where to you get the gators for the moat?
    We got 'em down here in South Florida.

How do you refill the candy dispensers? I’m honestly curious.
    You tell someone, "Refill the candy dispensers". Although, with that type of budget you are most likely firing someone if the candy dispensers ever look less than full.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    You tell someone, "Refill the candy dispensers". Although, with that type of budget you are most likely firing someone if the candy dispensers ever look less than full.
    there is a large gumball dispenser in our local hardware store, and I suspect the remaining "treats" have been there since Eisenhower lived on Pennsylvania Avenue...can they carbon date those things?

Yeah, y’all aren’t creative enough with your supervillain wealth. I’m reanimating John Candy to lurch around my estate refilling the candy dispensers and quoting lines from the Great Outdoors to guests.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    Quite the spread!

I'm waiting until it hits 350 million pounds before I make my offer.

How about a nice island home:
    https://www.redfin.com/NY/Kings-Poin.../home/20582043

Comes with a nice dock. Good place to look longingly across the water towards a green light.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post

Comes with a nice dock. Good place to look longingly across the water towards a green light.

-jk
    That is the definition of ungapatchka, which fits well for the area. I think I would prefer the one next to it that looks less ornate (from the outside) and has a nice yard. Though for the list price, $52k a year of taxes in Nassau County is actually really good.

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post

-jk
    With 19.5 bathrooms and only 12 bedrooms, looks like just the place for someone with an enlarged prostate.

Section 15

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    That is the definition of ungapatchka, which fits well for the area. I think I would prefer the one next to it that looks less ornate (from the outside) and has a nice yard. Though for the list price, $52k a year of taxes in Nassau County is actually really good.
    You know, I mostly agree but I kind of dig the bathroom look!

Edit: on closer inspection, it may be an indoor spa area. Whatever the rooms with all the fishes and shells are.

Also, if all the amenities the Uber rich can put in their home, why so many bowling alleys? It’s a fun game but not THAT fun and not really much to brag about to other rich friends, I would think.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Also, if all the amenities the Uber rich can put in their home, why so many bowling alleys? It’s a fun game but not THAT fun and not really much to brag about to other rich friends, I would think.
    It’s easier than an indoor pool, and fills a lot of those excess sf.

-jk

I would have a curling sheet (full disclosure, I had to look up that term).

Blame the Vanderbilts. I think everyone wants to measure their house against the Biltmore...and since the Biltmore had a bowling alley, their house must have a bowling alley.

Blame the Vanderbilts. I think everyone wants to measure their house against the Biltmore...and since the Biltmore had a bowling alley, their house must have a bowling alley.
    Easier than trying to match George's 125,000 acres.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Hmmm. You could be onto something. I wonder when the White House alley was put in. IIRC, it was added by Nixon. Was bowling once considered a wealthy sport? That could go a long way toward explaining the Vanderbilts and their wannabes. I just think of it as such a blue collar sport today…

Over 100 years ago, the Vanderbilts took a fancy to an amazing piece of land in Shelburne, Vermont, so they bought out all the local farmers, ran a railroad track directly onto the property (so the family could just hop on the family train in NYC and cruise on up), got Freddie Law Olmstead to design the grounds, and voila!

As happens with family dynasties, the money dried up a few decades ago, but the remaining family turned it into a wildly successful non profit farm/education and lodging facility that's open to the public (and you can book a room in the Summer).:
    https://shelburnefarms.org/sites/def...raub_print.jpg

This is a photo of one of their several barns, which are world class in size and beauty...