Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Beautiful setting and home. Great court.
    Love the pop-up ad: How much home can you afford? Well, I'm pretty sure $10.9 mil is outside the range...

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Love the pop-up ad: How much home can you afford? Well, I'm pretty sure $10.9 mil is outside the range...
    If only mortgage rates hadn't gone up, I know you would have been all over it!

It is a really beautiful house, in a great area - I was near there on vacation a few years ago. I wonder who the Duke fan is. Perhaps they can have Cooper Flagg drop by since he is from Maine and there no longer seem to be many restrictions on recruiting...

17 bathrooms? Why? There are 7 bedrooms so figuring 1/bedroom, 1 for guests on the main floor, and 2 by the pool - where, and why, are the other 10?
    Italians are notoriously incontinent.

17 bathrooms? Why? There are 7 bedrooms so figuring 1/bedroom, 1 for guests on the main floor, and 2 by the pool - where, and why, are the other 10?
    That should be where are the other 7. I should have used my toes for this counting project.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    If only mortgage rates hadn't gone up, I know you would have been all over it!

It is a really beautiful house, in a great area - I was near there on vacation a few years ago. I wonder who the Duke fan is. Perhaps they can have Cooper Flagg drop by since he is from Maine and there no longer seem to be many restrictions on recruiting...
    My wife did some investigating when we first saw the house. It looks like it might be the son of the founder of a major insurance firm. The son went to Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    My wife did some investigating when we first saw the house. It looks like it might be the son of the founder of a major insurance firm. The son went to Duke.
    I just looked at the pictures more carefully and read the description in the listing. This part of the description caught my eye:

"There are also two custom built barns on the property with a gorgeous orchard area and pasture land currently used for Alpacas but suitable for a number of different types of animals."

I wonder if the animals allow them to zone this as a farm, which I believe reduces taxes? It says taxes are about $50k a year, which based on my NY-area bias seems low for a property like this, but I know things are much different in Maine. Granted, when you are spending this much on a house, a few grand a year on taxes is not a big deal.

As long as the Alpacas don't get in the way of my basketball games, it is all good.

As long as the Alpacas don't get in the way of my basketball games, it is all good.
    The Alpacas help my game… they set great screens.

Staff?

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I've had this pleasant chat with some NC friends when I ask them how to reconcile bible belt Greensboro, for example, with prevalent (last time I was there) massage parlors, the topless car wash, etc. They told me sin or at least temptation was required, so there could be redemption, creating a nice circle...(not trying to provoke here)...by contrast, my wee state is the least religious in the country but massage parlors aren't tolerated (though they appear from time to time).

It's all fine by me...
    Having grown up in Greensboro, I think you're painting with an awfully broad brush. Besides, I blame Stamey's Barbeque and the ACC tournament. Plus, in my neighborhood, people played golf on Sunday morning, although on reflection, I think that was their religion.

Duke fans will enjoy this house. Make sure you look at pic #43

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...shares_rdc_ldp
    OMG, I know this area well, or at least used to as there has obviously been a lot development since I was last there. Used to bring students to Port Clyde from the photo workshop in Rockport to document the "local color." Occasionally we'd hop the ferry to Monhegan for an even deeper Maine Island (and Wyeth) experience. Fond memories.

I do know that there weren't houses like this in the area at the time. There were many more working boats in the harbor and far more modest houses. Change can be disorienting.

Quote Originally Posted by Section 15 View Post
    OMG, I know this area well, or at least used to as there has obviously been a lot development since I was last there. Used to bring students to Port Clyde from the photo workshop in Rockport to document the "local color." Occasionally we'd hop the ferry to Monhegan for an even deeper Maine Island (and Wyeth) experience. Fond memories.

I do know that there weren't houses like this in the area at the time. There were many more working boats in the harbor and far more modest houses. Change can be disorienting.
    I am very familiar with the area, too. Many trips to Port Clyde. John Roberts used to vacation in that area, too. (I assume he still does.)

Logo should be rotated 90 degrees. Sorry, it's the engineer in me.

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    Cannot spork. Great point. Forget it. Now I can't buy this house. Deal is off.

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    Cannot spork. Great point. Forget it. Now I can't buy this house. Deal is off.
    Is it that way because it isn't a full court? And is that a four square set up in the corner?

Is it that way because it isn't a full court? And is that a four square set up in the corner?
    Good point. Unclear why they didn't go all in and make it full court - looks like there is plenty of space as there is grass there. Yet another reason I can't buy the house.

That does look like a four square court. Interesting choice. I'm surprised they didn't paint lines for pickleball or build a separate pickleball court.

Definitely a nice property and you might say this is a steal for this price. If this house and property were in the Hamptons or on Martha's Vineyard or Nantucket with that sort of acreage and oceanfront location, it would probably be in the $50 to $75 million range. Of course, the "Duke" logo on the basketball court might be a hindrance for some people. I assume a Carolina grad will not be buying this house (or would paint over that logo).
    Frankly, Maine doesn't do much for me. Ocean water is too cold for enjoyable swimming; not many sandy beaches; "Summer" last for about 8 days - very cool and foggy for much of the summer, gets blasted by Nor'easter storms for much of the year, etc.

I just looked at the pictures more carefully and read the description in the listing. This part of the description caught my eye:

"There are also two custom built barns on the property with a gorgeous orchard area and pasture land currently used for Alpacas but suitable for a number of different types of animals."

I wonder if the animals allow them to zone this as a farm, which I believe reduces taxes? It says taxes are about $50k a year, which based on my NY-area bias seems low for a property like this, but I know things are much different in Maine. Granted, when you are spending this much on a house, a few grand a year on taxes is not a big deal.

I'm not familiar with Maine law but I would guess that you do get some sort of property tax break, if part of your land is used for agriculture. In Massachusetts, where I live, Chapter 61A of the Mass General Laws gives a property tax break to landowners if you have at least 5 continuous acres devoted to "agriculture" and you generate at least $500 in gross sales of agricultural products from your land (there are some other restrictions too). In the rural areas of the state in which I live, many people take advantage of this tax break (my wife and I do because a fair amount of our acreage is hayed by a local dairy farmer and he sells that hay for more than $500). Although somewhat hypocritical, we laugh about some of our well-to-do friends and acquaintances who own big properties and who jump through all sorts of hoops to get this tax break (one friend who is a very rich investment banker and venture capitalist in NYC has Highland steers grazing outside the windows of his multi-million dollar week-end house, so he can get the tax break) and save a few thousand dollars on their local property taxes.
    Last edited by duke79; 08-26-2022 at 11:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    The Alpacas help my game… they set great screens.
    I don’t care how good the Alpacas are, they’ll never be as good as Phi Sllama Jama.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    I don’t care how good the Alpacas are, they’ll never be as good as Phi Sllama Jama.
    Let’s see what you have to say after the Alpacas take care of business in the Dean Dome. I just have to figure out how to get them inside.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Quin Snyder’s house, for those that skip the front porch.

https://www.utahrealestate.com/1830907
    I really appreciate you continuing to look for my next house. However I have to pass on this one. I really need one with the guest house for my mother-in-law. Let me know when you find the next match.