Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RIP Toby Keith

RIP Toby Keith

Maybe not a memorial that hits much for this board. I’ve got a fond Toby Keith core memory though. I went on a 4 month road trip in 2025. Camped mostly. Was slumming it on the West side of the Smokies and went to eat at a catfish shack in the thick of the mountains by myself. Courtesy of the red white and blue came on and that place absolutely erupted. Dancing, singing, hooting, hollering.

Always brings a smile to my face.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    I went on a 4 month road trip in 2025.

Dancing, singing, hooting, hollering.

That sounds like an awesome trip! Did you score from Bear?

RIP, Toby!

Maybe not a memorial that hits much for this board. I’ve got a fond Toby Keith core memory though. I went on a 4 month road trip in 2025. Camped mostly. Was slumming it on the West side of the Smokies and went to eat at a catfish shack in the thick of the mountains by myself. Courtesy of the red white and blue came on and that place absolutely erupted. Dancing, singing, hooting, hollering.

As the resident country aficionado here, I have deep thoughts here. It is hard to put him in perspective. At some level my feelings about him are tainted by his his massive right wing turn later in his career. I have no love for someone who calls themselves a patriot, but would say that I am not. But he also had a very successful career. Never did I feel like he was a top 5-10 country artist, even during his halcyon days. If he were a baseball player I think he would be former Cardinal Jim Edmonds. Edmonds made routine plays look spectacular because of how little ground he could actually cover in centerfield. That isn't the stuff of the hall of fame. Jim Edmonds is the poster child for being a first ballot inductee into the Hall of Very Good. Toby Keith is that to me.

I'm saying he was very good. I enjoyed watching Jim Edmonds make absolutely crazy diving catches in the outfield. But I also think Andruw Jones is camped under those balls for a full second and they are routine plays.

He has some very good songs. At times you could see greatness from where he was standing, but he just didn't have greatness in him.

I also could have called him Thomas Kincade. Thomas Kinkade is a very talented painter. But he ain't no artist.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    As the resident country aficionado here, I have deep thoughts here. It is hard to put him in perspective. At some level my feelings about him are tainted by his his massive right wing turn later in his career. I have no love for someone who calls themselves a patriot, but would say that I am not. But he also had a very successful career. Never did I feel like he was a top 5-10 country artist, even during his halcyon days. If he were a baseball player I think he would be former Cardinal Jim Edmonds. Edmonds made routine plays look spectacular because of how little ground he could actually cover in centerfield. That isn't the stuff of the hall of fame. Jim Edmonds is the poster child for being a first ballot inductee into the Hall of Very Good. Toby Keith is that to me.

I'm saying he was very good. I enjoyed watching Jim Edmonds make absolutely crazy diving catches in the outfield. But I also think Andruw Jones is camped under those balls for a full second and they are routine plays.

He has some very good songs. At times you could see greatness from where he was standing, but he just didn't have greatness in him.

I also could have called him Thomas Kincade. Thomas Kinkade is a very talented painter. But he ain't no artist.
    Now, I’m really confused by what OPK meant when he called you “Sunshine”?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    Now, I’m really confused by what OPK meant when he called you “Sunshine”?
    You disagree with my take?

You disagree with my take?
    Sunshine, is an RIP thread the best location for your take?

Sunshine, is an RIP thread the best location for your take?
    I'm not saying I'm glad he's dead. Just an assessment of his career. And I called him very good.

As a country fan, I never had much use for his music. As a cancer survivor, it pains me any time someone loses the battle.

I'm not saying I'm glad he's dead. Just an assessment of his career. And I called him very good.
    Sorry, I merely thought your assessment could have a little more sunshine on a RIP thread.

This is when my wife says (almost daily) to me, “you know nothing, Jeffrey Snow”.

I've always been a big fan of his pre-9/11 stuff from the '90s and I wore out his Greatest Hits Volume One album that was released while I was in high school. The rah-rah patriotic nonsense after that was garbage, though.

Just the other day I saw clips from his last TV interview and you could tell where that was going... Cancer I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.in' sucks; you just wilt away and, like many, I've had the displeasure of seeing it up close and personal.

Sorry, I merely thought your assessment could have a little more sunshine on a RIP thread.

This is when my wife says (almost daily) to me, “you know nothing, Jeffrey Snow”.
    No. You're a good poster here. Perhaps you are right.

Toby Keith owned Thoroughbred racehorses.
    https://www.thoroughbreddailynews.co...th-dead-at-62/

Larry
    DevilHorse

RIP Toby!

GTHCancer!

Honestly this is the best summary I’ve seen online so far. A bit generous imo but I’m not one to pile on somebody this soon after death.

I think that's a very good summary. I did wonder when his politics betrayed him if he was playing a public part to sell more content. Either way, some of his songs were fun and I'm sorry that he's gone. Swear Jar Cancer!

No. You're a good poster here. Perhaps you are right.
    Thanks for your kindness!

You’re one of my favorite posters. You really helped me out with my New Orleans trip. I appreciate you!

Sorry to hear of another early death, but I couldn't pick Toby Keith out of a line-up and I couldn't identify a single Toby Keith song if it bit me in the butt. I have absolutely zero interest in country music and have never listened to it even for one second unless it was forced upon me.

Again, I am sad for the loss of another life to cancer, though.

I’m totally in the, “we should be able to judge the person in whole” upon their death. Ted Kennedy is a great example. Bill Clinton will be. Toby Keith was nowhere in the realm of entertainers who genuinely deserve this sort of rapid post Mortem. Michael Jackson, definitely. Bill Cosby, not dead yet. Steven Tyler. Roman and Woody.

Dude just went a little jingoistic but was by all evidence a solid guy who worked through opinions in his music over time.

Let’s not overthink and stink on this one.

Let’s not overthink and stink on this one.
    Strongly agree!

May we please discuss your trip to the future?

Strongly agree!

May we please discuss your trip to the future?
    Hah hah! Wasn’t even a next key typo! Solid two away typo! 2005.