Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    It used to be (and I don't know if it is still true?) that real estate prices around Atlanta were quite reasonable compared to the Northeast, for example. I have a close friend of mine who went to Duke and he used to own a fairly nice two bedroom condo outside Boston and in the early 90's he got transferred down to Atlanta, so he sold his condo outside Boston and for approximately the same amount of money that he got from the condo sale, he bought a very nice brick "mansion" in one of those suburban towns north of Atlanta that was probably triple the square footage of his Boston condo.
    Yes - these are pretty common in Atlanta and are much of what I was referring to. Unless prices have gone up more than I thought, the vast majority are under $1 million. A lot of them are being built in the suburban sprawl that I don’t believe is City of Atlanta.

Reviving this thread b/c Christian McCaffrey is selling his mansion. Thinking he's planning on staying in San Fran a while longer.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1.../6056585_zpid/

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    Reviving this thread b/c Christian McCaffrey is selling his mansion. Thinking he's planning on staying in San Fran a while longer.

Is that a staircase in the closet?

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Is that a staircase in the closet?
    Yeah, I questioned that, too. Seems a little froo-froo for him.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post

It is a beautiful house but that seems a bit high for where it is. Also, the taxes ($35k) to home price ratio is incredibly low - my perspective is completely distorted living in the northeast where you would pay $35k of taxes on a house that is a fraction of that amount in a lot of places.

Am I the only person who finds that design hideous? Big and luxurious doesn't have to mean gaudy, but that place is gross.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Am I the only person who finds that design hideous? Big and luxurious doesn't have to mean gaudy, but that place is gross.
    The first thing I thought of when looking at that was that no matter how much money I have, I'm never buying that place. Fortunately(?), that'll never be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    The first thing I thought of when looking at that was that no matter how much money I have, I'm never buying that place. Fortunately(?), that'll never be an issue.
    definitely has that Saudi prince vibe to it.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    It is a beautiful house but that seems a bit high for where it is. Also, the taxes ($35k) to home price ratio is incredibly low - my perspective is completely distorted living in the northeast where you would pay $35k of taxes on a house that is a fraction of that amount in a lot of places.
    Iredell County. Fast growing, but still way behind the taxes of Charlotte and Mecklenburg County. On a finger of Lake Norman, though. Great location, but I don't like the house, either. Would much rather go for a log cabin-type house there.

Me too. By me, houses that are assessed for ~$1.5M have about $35k taxes/year. Although admittedly, really really expensive homes are often under-assessed. And basically nothing is $12.5M...But conceivably, that'd be $300k in annual taxes (!).

The location is amazing — gorgeous lot on a fairly secluded/private part of the lake surrounded by hardwood trees. And the backyard pool and deck are pretty spectacular. And the kitchen is a WOW.

Sure, the interior design is not exactly what I would want, but damn, all things considered that property is quite sweet. I’d take it in a heartbeat.

Tax to home price ratio is an entirely different animal in many southern locales than it is up north. I know a lot of guys I worked with who retired and sold their Vermont homes and bought comparably priced places down south, and their taxes are about one third of what they were up north. When you take a good look at their public schools, you begin to understand much of the difference. Would love to discuss further but public policy and all, you know.

Tax to home price ratio is an entirely different animal in many southern locales than it is up north. I know a lot of guys I worked with who retired and sold their Vermont homes and bought comparably priced places down south, and their taxes are about one third of what they were up north. When you take a good look at their public schools, you begin to understand much of the difference. Would love to discuss further but public policy and all, you know.
    LOL at taxes ya'll! Our tax bill in Wake County just hit $4k and we are ready to storm the county commissioners! Judging by your northern tax math, we would be paying around $17k in taxes. That's just nutso!

LOL at taxes ya'll! Our tax bill in Wake County just hit $4k and we are ready to storm the county commissioners! Judging by your northern tax math, we would be paying around $17k in taxes. That's just nutso!
    for a lot of places down your way, a valid comparison has to include the cost of tuition at the private schools where a lot of the kids are sent...not sure about Wake, but in some of other, non Trrianglish counties I'm familiar with, the schools are utter trash.

The price for better schools. It's not uncommon for the property taxes up north to equal the yearly mortgage payments in the south for similar homes until about a decade ago. I haven't see the figures lately.

for a lot of places down your way, a valid comparison has to include the cost of tuition at the private schools where a lot of the kids are sent...not sure about Wake, but in some of other, non Trrianglish counties I'm familiar with, the schools are utter trash.
    Wake schools are supposed to be pretty good. My wife was unimpressed with our area schools when she did the Kindergarten tours. So...we've homeschooled for the past 8 years. She is probably the most overqualified teach in history...but that's ok.

Wake schools are supposed to be pretty good. My wife was unimpressed with our area schools when she did the Kindergarten tours. So...we've homeschooled for the past 8 years. She is probably the most overqualified teach in history...but that's ok.
    and when it comes to some of the more rural spots (I'm familiar with taxes and some schools down in Brunswick County) the public schools are often trash, any families with money send the kids to private schools, which leads to even worse public schools. Not good.

and when it comes to some of the more rural spots (I'm familiar with taxes and some schools down in Brunswick County) the public schools are often trash, any families with money send the kids to private schools, which leads to even worse public schools. Not good.
    Ya, I went to two different high schools in Onslow County (Jacksonville and Swansboro) and they were complete trash compared to the private catholic school I attended before moving to NC. The AP classes at Jacksonville were OK, but the rest.../smdh.

Ya, I went to two different high schools in Onslow County (Jacksonville and Swansboro) and they were complete trash compared to the private catholic school I attended before moving to NC. The AP classes at Jacksonville were OK, but the rest.../smdh.
    it's sad, because once the spiral begins, public schools are toast. No reason for taxpayers to fund them if only the poor kids go there (so they think).

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    The location is amazing — gorgeous lot on a fairly secluded/private part of the lake surrounded by hardwood trees. And the backyard pool and deck are pretty spectacular. And the kitchen is a WOW.

Sure, the interior design is not exactly what I would want, but damn, all things considered that property is quite sweet. I’d take it in a heartbeat.
    I grew up in a close-in suburb to NYC and now live in NYC. For my primary residence (which I assume is what this is), I want density. I would want enough acreage that I'm not hearing my neighbors, but I want to easily be able to get to the supermarket, restaurants, and have my kids be able to walk to their friends homes. This house seems pretty remote (at least by my standards). If I had a second home, I would want it to be in a location exactly like this - plenty of space, away from the more urban area but close enough that you could get there really easily. If CMC lived here when he was on the Panthers, he had a long drive to practice each day - I just mapped it - 37 mile drive. No thanks.

Many people disagree with me. That's what makes the world interesting.