Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 557
  1. #81
    Stanford’s relatively low early-season poll position is mostly due to the departure of Catarina Macario, who sits at number one in every list of the world’s best 21-and-under players I’ve seen. If they move forward without skipping a beat, they will rise in the polls.

    Thursday night could be epic.

  2. #82
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Duke has extended the contract of women’s coach Robbie Church through 2025. Good move by our new AD.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

  3. #83
    Duke Women take a 1-0 lead over Stanford after 22 minutes.

  4. #84
    Duke still leads Stanford 1-0 at the half. Michelle Cooper has the goal, her fifth of the season already. Most of Duke's scoring thus far has been in the second half (10 out of 13 goals coming into this game). All four first half goals, including today, have been by Michelle Cooper.

    Stanford is ranked #10 this week, Duke is still #5. Stanford has looked sharp but has not put together a serious threat. They lead in shots 4-3, but have only 1 shot on goal.

  5. #85
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Greas left-footed finish by Cooper. She is a major treat anywhere on the pitch.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

  6. #86
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Stanford has tied it up in the 66th minute.

    The Duke men gave taken a 1-0 lead at Michigan. 20 minutes to go.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

  7. #87
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Duke women have retaken a 2-1 lead. 20 minutes to go.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

  8. #88
    Duke back on top 2-1 over Stanford at 70 minutes.

  9. #89
    5 minutes to go in both games
    Men and women clinging to 1 goal leads

  10. #90
    It’s all over
    2 wins
    What a night for Duke Soccer!!!

  11. #91
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTrain View Post
    It’s all over
    2 wins
    What a night for Duke Soccer!!!
    Awesome night. The women really looked like a title contending team.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

  12. #92
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Van Nuys, CA
    Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Awesome night. The women really looked like a title contending team.
    Great start 5/0 Hope they keep getting better.Duke women have won National championships in Golf and Tennis. It would be great to win in a truly team sport like Soccer. Golf and tennis requires great individual play. Glad they have those, but perhaps basketball and soccer may happen soon.

  13. #93
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Our first 5-0 start ever for the women, with three of the wins coming against ranked teams.

    Our men are undefeated and unscored upon. Iron Dukes?

    I’m looking forward to Stanford taking on the Heel women Monday night.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

  14. #94
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Duke women have retaken a 2-1 lead. 20 minutes to go.
    The Cosme strike to get that second goal could not have been better. Over the wall and toward the near post, off the bottom of the crossbar, bounced over the goal line, then back off the bottom of the crossbar and well into the back of the net in case the ref missed it the first time. The Stanford keeper made a really good effort at it, but there's not a goalie in the world who could have saved that.

  15. #95
    Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Our first 5-0 start ever for the women, with three of the wins coming against ranked teams.

    Our men are undefeated and unscored upon. Iron Dukes?

    I’m looking forward to Stanford taking on the Heel women Monday night.
    Yes, plenty to be encouraged about. The ACC is daunting but perhaps Duke is on the top tier this year.

    The Stanford-UNC game is Sunday 1pm local time on ACCNX. Stanford will be looking for retribution after losing to Duke. Stanford has won the last three matchups and is 3-4 all-time against UNC.

  16. #96
    Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Our first 5-0 start ever for the women, with three of the wins coming against ranked teams.

    Our men are undefeated and unscored upon. Iron Dukes?

    I’m looking forward to Stanford taking on the Heel women Monday night.
    Not ever…actually the 3rd time
    But…first time 5-0 under Robbie Church

  17. #97
    Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    The Cosme strike to get that second goal could not have been better. Over the wall and toward the near post, off the bottom of the crossbar, bounced over the goal line, then back off the bottom of the crossbar and well into the back of the net in case the ref missed it the first time. The Stanford keeper made a really good effort at it, but there's not a goalie in the world who could have saved that.
    The ball was struck from an angle 5 yards outside the 18

    The Stanford goalie did not react until the ball passed over the girl on the outside of the wall (who ducked)

    Had she read the shot and power stepped, it should have been a difficult but achievable top hand save over the bar from that distance

    Great shot
    Clutch shot
    Stanford goalie would love a do-over though

  18. #98
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTrain View Post
    The ball was struck from an angle 5 yards outside the 18

    The Stanford goalie did not react until the ball passed over the girl on the outside of the wall (who ducked)

    Had she read the shot and power stepped, it should have been a difficult but achievable top hand save over the bar from that distance

    Great shot
    Clutch shot
    Stanford goalie would love a do-over though
    We are going to have to disagree on that. I can't find a video replay on a quick search, but my recollection is that the goalie played it about as well as it can be played. She picked the ball up as early as one could expect, but, as is normal from there, she was lined up slightly favoring the far post. She got a very solid push-off on her jump and good height, but she just could not get sufficient power to reach a shot with that kind of power and placement struck from that short a distance and that far away from her (correct) starting position. The only way she saves it on a do-over from the same starting position is if she somehow knows what's coming and begins to react before the ball is struck.

    The telling point to me is her reaction after. She looked bummed for the team to be behind of course, but she did not look angry with herself at all. She looked to me as if she felt that she had done all that she could do.

    Katie Meyer, BTW, is regarded as a pretty good keeper. She is team captain and led the Cardinal to a National Championship as a redshirt Freshman, was MVP of the Championship game (over UNc, I might add), and was selected to the College Cup All-Tournament team. She had a 1.000 save percentage heading into yesterday's game. If she's not unhappy with her performance on that shot, well, I believe her.

  19. #99
    The video is on the Twitter feed

    Not questioning the bonafides of the Stanford goalie…but she flat out reacted slow to the kick

    As a 2x goalie dad, my “dynamic duo” see a delayed response
    Even great players make mistakes

    Regardless, it was a great shot and a clutch shot

  20. #100
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTrain View Post
    The video is on the Twitter feed

    Not questioning the bonafides of the Stanford goalie…but she flat out reacted slow to the kick

    As a 2x goalie dad, my “dynamic duo” see a delayed response
    Even great players make mistakes

    Regardless, it was a great shot and a clutch shot
    Thanks for identifying where to find the replay. Perhaps the one keeper criticism I would make is that she does flinch her weight very slightly toward the far post just before the shot, so she is not completely evenly balanced until she gets a first little hop in, which doesn't complete until slightly after the ball is struck. So maybe an absolutely perfect goalie performance could have just reached the shot...maybe. But that's a really, really high expectation, IMO, and in the heat of the action, I still think very few - if any - keepers actually make that save. But OK, it was not perfection, and as it is, the keeper didn't miss by much.

    But really, for me, the first comment was mostly about the shot. It was a thing of beauty.

Similar Threads

  1. 2021 Women's Soccer
    By DoubleBlue in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 05-18-2021, 01:02 PM
  2. Congratulations Women's Field Hockey--ACC Regular Season Champs
    By MCFinARL in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-22-2016, 07:34 PM
  3. Duke Women's Soccer wins ACC Regular Season Title
    By BuschDevil in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-04-2011, 12:12 PM
  4. Duke v. UNC Women's Soccer
    By Verga3 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-17-2011, 12:33 AM
  5. Duke Women's Soccer
    By ugadevil in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-15-2007, 04:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •