Page 10 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    My understanding is that Bruster’s injury is a nagging injury. Not sure she will be 100% any point soon. I was told it is game to game

Quote Originally Posted by TheTrain View Post
    My understanding is that Bruster’s injury is a nagging injury. Not sure she will be 100% any point soon. I was told it is game to game
    IIRC it was a non-contact injury and she just went down holding her left knee. That seems consistent with an on-going issue, perhaps a strained tendon.

Duke Men in a 0-0 tie at halftime with Syracuse (away). Defense has been good as usual, but not many offensive opportunities either.

Duke wins 1-0 on a goal by Thor Ulfarsson with 9 minutes remaining. It was a really chippy game and it could have gone either way. Hamill was great in the net for Duke.

Hamill is sensational; and an even better person
    He mentored my son at Duke ID camp and my 16 yo says he is a great role model

So happy for John Kerr
    One of the nicest people you will ever meet
    A great representative of Duke
    I have my fingers crossed that this is the year that Duke gets back to the College Cup

Gametime approaches for the Duke Women vs Virginia Tech. The starting lineup does not include Cooper, Migli or Bruster who were all out for the UVA game. I'm not sure if Migli or Bruster normally start, but Cooper certainly does.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    Gametime approaches for the Duke Women vs Virginia Tech. The starting lineup does not include Cooper, Migli or Bruster who were all out for the UVA game. I'm not sure if Migli or Bruster normally start, but Cooper certainly does.
    The game is tied 1-1 at the half. Duke dominated possession and shots but have not capitalized on some good opportunities.

We look very mediocre w/out our star rookie. And we are getting outfought and outhustled.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Going to overtime. VT is down one player (red card) so Duke has an advantage.

Game over, 1-1 tie. 2 scoreless OT's.

is a tie in women's soccer like kissing your brother?

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    is a tie in women's soccer like kissing your brother?
    Depends on where he falls on the spectrum.

How can you get a roster update before matches , including injuries and COVID restrictions ?
    Thanks

Game over, 1-1 tie. 2 scoreless OT's.
    This was a disappointing outcome given that Tech is unranked, we had tons of chances we couldn't put on frame, and we had an advantage for the last 30+ minutes of play. We did not handle their physicality and hustle well. I can't find any stats to support it, but to my eye, our passing was atrocious. Sophie Jones is normally really good with the ball, but in this game she tried a lot of thread-the-needle passes that didn't. There were a lot of one-touch pass attempts (from many players, not specifically Sophie) that either went badly astray or went just enough off target that the receiving player couldn't control the ball before they were closed down. And while some of Tech's "physicality" actually amounted to uncalled fouls, I can't blame the ref for this outcome. He did end up sending someone off, and we still couldn't find a way to use the extra player advantage to break them down. Instead we gave up the best scoring chance on either side after the send-off via a breakaway.

Top Drawer has our ranking back down to seventh, which is only the fourth-best ranking in our murderer's row conference, and I think that's about right based on how the team played these last two games.

Having said all that, there's pretty good reason to believe that getting our COVID-protocol players back will make a big difference. Cooper is the real deal, and has a pretty decent chance at being one of the best Duke players ever, if we can keep her in school long enough, and Migli and Bruster have been solid and important contributors, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    This was a disappointing outcome given that Tech is unranked, we had tons of chances we couldn't put on frame, and we had an advantage for the last 30+ minutes of play. We did not handle their physicality and hustle well. I can't find any stats to support it, but to my eye, our passing was atrocious. Sophie Jones is normally really good with the ball, but in this game she tried a lot of thread-the-needle passes that didn't. There were a lot of one-touch pass attempts (from many players, not specifically Sophie) that either went badly astray or went just enough off target that the receiving player couldn't control the ball before they were closed down. And while some of Tech's "physicality" actually amounted to uncalled fouls, I can't blame the ref for this outcome. He did end up sending someone off, and we still couldn't find a way to use the extra player advantage to break them down. Instead we gave up the best scoring chance on either side after the send-off via a breakaway.

Top Drawer has our ranking back down to seventh, which is only the fourth-best ranking in our murderer's row conference, and I think that's about right based on how the team played these last two games.

Having said all that, there's pretty good reason to believe that getting our COVID-protocol players back will make a big difference. Cooper is the real deal, and has a pretty decent chance at being one of the best Duke players ever, if we can keep her in school long enough, and Migli and Bruster have been solid and important contributors, too.
    Losing or tieing two away ACC games without 3 of your best players is nothing to panic about. The #7 ranking would seem to support this. Their RPI ranking is still #2.

Losing or tieing two away ACC games without 3 of your best players is nothing to panic about. The #7 ranking would seem to support this. Their RPI ranking is still #2.
    Hopefully you aren't implying that I am panicking. My last paragraph should have made that pretty clear. But it was still disappointing that we didn't play a lot better against an unranked team after a loss. The way we lost was a case of the folks who could play not executing like they are capable of. We could have and should have gotten a win out of that game. But, you know, we'll still have our chances, and 7-1-1 is nothing to sneeze at, especially when the 1-1 happened on the road in the toughest conference in the nation.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Hopefully you aren't implying that I am panicking. My last paragraph should have made that pretty clear. But it was still disappointing that we didn't play a lot better against an unranked team after a loss. The way we lost was a case of the folks who could play not executing like they are capable of. We could have and should have gotten a win out of that game. But, you know, we'll still have our chances, and 7-1-1 is nothing to sneeze at, especially when the 1-1 happened on the road in the toughest conference in the nation.
    No, you framed the range of outcomes... I'm just resetting the expectations in case anyone is concerned. Hopefully these two games will fuel the drive for some more big wins! For good teams, adversity often leads to growth and development.

Both the Men's and Women's Soccer teams are ranked #4 this week in the Coaches D1 Poll shown on the NCAA.com site.
    https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/soccer...soccer-coaches
    https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/soccer...soccer-coaches

The Men are playing Howard tonight at Koskinen. No score so far after 25 minutes.
    Edit: now 2-0 Duke after 27 minutes.
    Last edited by DoubleBlue; 09-28-2021 at 07:42 PM. Reason: Score update.

Duke now leading 4-0 with 17 minutes remaining. Thor Ulfarsson with a hat trick.

six of seven guys mentioned in the soccer win article are sophs or frosh.