Page 8 of 72 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 NFL Season

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    I remember one high school game I played in, western NC in the 60s before that global warming thing. It was a playoff game in November and we played in a freezing rain. One vivid memory from that game is seeing icicles forming on the team benches during the game.

Luckily for me, my school was small enough that we needed two way players and I was one of them so I was running around the whole game. The subs on the sidelines were totally miserable.
    Nothing like your high school game but my senior year('61) we played Hanes High School at Bowman Gray Stadium and the temperature was 9 degrees that night. Hanes played a single wing formation and their tailback was Buddy Bovender who was a terrific player. I played defensive back but was forced to play linebacker when the starter went down in the first quarter. All this 135 pound guy could do was try to knock down the blockers in front of Buddy. Needless to say we were beaten badly but I was credited with 11 tackles that night. I was just grateful to be playing and not freezing to death on the sidelines.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    The worst I can ever recall is the 3-0 game between the Steelers and the Dolphins (@ Pittsburgh of course). Players were like ankle deep in mud. Someone stepped on Ricky Williams after he fell down and it was like his whole body got squished down into it. Same kind of deal with the punts as the game you're describing. It was really unbelievable.

There was a Duke game @ Miami (feels like it was just a year or two ago but it probably had to be a little longer than that) where the rain was coming down something fierce (there was a lot of water on the field but it seemed to actually hold up pretty well).

Sadly, bad weather games in the NFL are going the way of the dodo as teams move towards covered stadiums (especially since I believe the NFL requires covered stadiums to host the Suberbowl IIRC).
    I was present at that game. With the possible exception of the Dolphins-Chargers Kellen Winslow/Dolphins hook and ladder game, it was probably the most fun I've ever had at a pro football game.

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Most WTF fans I know are calling for the head of the owner.

-jk
    Yes, we WFT fans would prefer a new owner. Many fear that it'll be Bezos and that he will move the team. I'm at the point where I don't care if the team gets moved, we will not really move forward until Dan is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Haven't they been doing that for decades?
    I'd say 'decade' more or less. I think he's been an owner for about 20 years. People were OK with him for a while but that time is over. We have the worst stadium, the worst game day experience and all the awful behavior AND 20 years of losing...argh

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    I’d like to add non-WTF fans to that.
    Yeah, this is what's new. For years, fans of other team loved Dan - because he made it likely that we would lose to their team. But now that his true, awful, colors and behavior are being brought to light, people with a stronger moral compass are ready for the NFL to remove Dan.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Yep, seems impossible the Lions have exactly ONE playoff win then the Super Bowl era.

Of course as long as the miserable SnyderWTFs remain, the Lions have a chance to rise up and become the 2nd worst franchise. Snyder’s buffoonery has taken NFL enjoyment away from millions of fans in DC, Maryland, Virginia and NC.
    "buffoonery" is a great description for Snyder's actions. So many fans are frustrated more than in the past. Some are also frustrated because of the name change...for me, I'm OK with the name change (times change, what words and phrases mean change) but I'm not OK with how poorly the team handled it. Basically Snyder was brat and just thought he would say 'no' to the name change not matter what and didn't make a plan (or file for copyrights) just in case. As as a result, the sponsors forced his hand, they screwed the whole thing up (typical Snyder mess).

I help moderate a WFT group on Facebook. It gets ugly often and with each loss it gets worse (some fans weren't realistic about our season).

There was a Duke game @ Miami (feels like it was just a year or two ago but it probably had to be a little longer than that) where the rain was coming down something fierce (there was a lot of water on the field but it seemed to actually hold up pretty well).
    November 2018 — the recent high water mark for our Blue Devils. I fondly recall the days when we had so few things to complain about that we (well, not me) complained about TJ Rahming.
    Carolina delenda est

I doubt many folks will be interested in watching, but my Seahawks are desperate for a win tonight against Crab Legs and the Saints.

Odds are against them, but it's at home and Marshawn will be part of the broadcast. Should be good fun.

I doubt many folks will be interested in watching, but my Seahawks are desperate for a win tonight against Crab Legs and the Saints.

Odds are against them, but it's at home and Marshawn will be part of the broadcast. Should be good fun.
    I'll be pulling for the fightin' Geno Smiths tonight!

I'll be pulling for the fightin' Geno Smiths tonight!
    We need all the mojo that can be found.

We need all the mojo that can be found.
    Being a Bucs’ fan, I’m definitely rooting for your Seahawks tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    Being a Bucs’ fan, I’m definitely rooting for your Seahawks tonight.
    Get on that Geno bandwagon, baby! There's TONS of space.

Get on that Geno bandwagon, baby! There's TONS of space.
    I don't know, might start running out of room!

and Marshawn will be part of the broadcast. Should be good fun.
    Anyone who missed this missed out.

Anyone who missed this missed out.
    He is always true. He's a truly amazing human.

He is always true. He's a truly amazing human.
    I'm pretty sure it was meant to be funny, but I was cracking up at the description of Gronk's "process". I have to admit I really enjoyed Brady's segment.

I can't believe the producer didn't bail on the Marshawn bit after the first "slip". They had to know...

I'm pretty sure it was meant to be funny, but I was cracking up at the description of Gronk's "process". I have to admit I really enjoyed Brady's segment.
    Watch Marshawn and Gronk on Conan playing Mortal Combat. Thank me later.

Watch Marshawn and Gronk on Conan playing Mortal Combat. Thank me later.
    Life coach 😂. Outstanding.

Life coach 😂. Outstanding.
    Honestly, Marshawn is an amazing individual.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    Yes, we WFT fans would prefer a new owner. Many fear that it'll be Bezos and that he will move the team. I'm at the point where I don't care if the team gets moved, we will not really move forward until Dan is gone.

I'd say 'decade' more or less. I think he's been an owner for about 20 years. People were OK with him for a while but that time is over. We have the worst stadium, the worst game day experience and all the awful behavior AND 20 years of losing...argh

Yeah, this is what's new. For years, fans of other team loved Dan - because he made it likely that we would lose to their team. But now that his true, awful, colors and behavior are being brought to light, people with a stronger moral compass are ready for the NFL to remove Dan.

"buffoonery" is a great description for Snyder's actions. So many fans are frustrated more than in the past. Some are also frustrated because of the name change...for me, I'm OK with the name change (times change, what words and phrases mean change) but I'm not OK with how poorly the team handled it. Basically Snyder was brat and just thought he would say 'no' to the name change not matter what and didn't make a plan (or file for copyrights) just in case. As as a result, the sponsors forced his hand, they screwed the whole thing up (typical Snyder mess).

I help moderate a WFT group on Facebook. It gets ugly often and with each loss it gets worse (some fans weren't realistic about our season).
    To be fair, though, we were supposed to have one of the strongest defenses in the league (what happened???) and we were also expecting Fitzmagic, who never even made it through a single game.
    I guess expectations were somewhat unrealistic, but I have to say even modest expectations have not been met by this team whose defense was last spotted on a milk carton...

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    To be fair, though, we were supposed to have one of the strongest defenses in the league (what happened???) and we were also expecting Fitzmagic, who never even made it through a single game.
    I guess expectations were somewhat unrealistic, but I have to say even modest expectations have not been met by this team whose defense was last spotted on a milk carton...
    Washington Football fans like myself have been waiting for the glory days of, Doug Williams, Joe Theismann, Art Monk, John Riggins "The Diesel" and Charley Taylor to return. It's been almost 30 years since they last won a Super Bowl. When Snyder bought the team, I figured we'd begin to get some very good players but that hasn't been the case. I guess he's more interested in pictures of the teams cheerleaders.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    I wasn't expecting a great record this season because we have a tough schedule (because we won the division last year). But the defense has not been as expected and I think the way those games were lost (defense not showing up) has really been hard on fans. The last couple of weeks the defense has shown up but the offense and died (injuries to 4 starters, including the right OG and OT have not helped). Bottom line, I agree with you. I still have hope that we can turn it around and have a decent season but I have realistic expectations...

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    ...we have a tough schedule (because we won the division last year)...
    This is mostly a misconception. There are only three games affected by a team's division finish the previous season. The other 14 are opponents in common with the remainder of a given team's division-mates: 6 home-and-homes with others in the division, plus full slates against one intraconference division and one interconference division.