Page 4 of 72 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 NFL Season

I picked a heck of the weekend to skip sports. Go Panthers (and Duke)!

Also, WTF happened in the 4th quarter of that Baltimore game? I saw the score part way through and thought the Ravens were toast. Looks like a bunch of exciting games today.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post

Also, WTF happened in the 4th quarter of that Baltimore game? I saw the score part way through and thought the Ravens were toast. Looks like a bunch of exciting games today.
    It was definitely not the desired outcome around here. Chiefs fumbled their chance on their last possession - only need a FG to win.

I didn't see it, but on sports talk this morning on Sirius/XM I gathered that Lamar Jackson happened. Apparently he ran for two touchdowns in the fourth quarter.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Old Dominion University’s Taylor Heinicke of the Washington Football Team has completed more passes than anyone in NFL history over their first three career starts.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Old Dominion University’s Taylor Heinicke of the Washington Football Team has completed more passes than anyone in NFL history over their first three career starts.
    All for the same coach, right? Rivera - Panthers/WFT?
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    I didn't see it, but on sports talk this morning on Sirius/XM I gathered that Lamar Jackson happened. Apparently he ran for two touchdowns in the fourth quarter.
    It was an absolutely fantastic game. Two unstoppable qb’s (Jackson, besides having his 4th 200yd passing+100yd rushing game which is 4 more than any NFL player ever, also made a career highlight-reel jump pass. Mahones was magnificent with several impossible escape pressure scramble passes. TE Kelsey ran 46 yards breaking tackle after tackle but mostly juking out fast safeties and cornerbacks like they were cones (he lead the league in TE yardage last year). So KC take lead, BAL answer, KC take lead, BAL answer, over and over and over the entire game. Last 3 minutes BAL take 2pt lead, then KC is in fg range for win, but then BAL rookie forces KC fumble, then 1 min left with BAL still leads but at own 45, 4th and 1.5 yards. The obv ‘safe’ play is punt bc if they try and are stopped they lose bc KC kick fg. They decide to go for it. KC puts 5000 lb glob of players right on line, Jackson keeps ball and goes straight into the brick wall. Rest was history.

tldr; announcer asked if it was ok to stand up and clap for a game he was announcing.
    Last edited by Skydog; 09-20-2021 at 12:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    All for the same coach, right? Rivera - Panthers/WFT?
    Yes I believe that’s correct.

I do think people are a little premature the way they are jumping on the Jameis Winston bandwagon (not anyone in this thread, just what I've seen on TV and heard on the radio). He did look really good, I'm not trying to dispute that, but that Packers defense looked really bad (and the Packers offense gave them some freebies as well). I think there is still at least a 50% chance yesterday was just a fluke.
    You were right.

I do think people are a little premature the way they are jumping on the Jameis Winston bandwagon (not anyone in this thread, just what I've seen on TV and heard on the radio). He did look really good, I'm not trying to dispute that, but that Packers defense looked really bad (and the Packers offense gave them some freebies as well). I think there is still at least a 50% chance yesterday was just a fluke.
    As someone who has lived in the Tampa Bay area most of my life, I fully endorse this comment. Winston showed me yesterday what he showed Buccaneer fans for many years - inconsistency. I suspect that will be the way his season goes in New Orleans.

Submitting a new name for the football team in Detroit: The Miseries. Using the name Lions is offensive to the kings of the animal kingdom.
    Sick to death of these pathetic losers. Another winless season is under way.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Submitting a new name for the football team in Detroit: The Miseries. Using the name Lions is offensive to the kings of the animal kingdom.
    Sick to death of these pathetic losers. Another winless season is under way.
    But your Tigers are improving and have some good young players coming along. There's that.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Using the name Lions is offensive to the kings of the animal kingdom.
    That's a good point ... it would be funny to have people surveyed and ask what animals they're most afraid of, and see if "lions" had dropped in ranking over the last, oh, 64 years.

But yeah, who would have thought that tough talk and swagger isn't enough to win? There's been one relative constant for the last 58 years and I would very much like to see that changed.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    But your Tigers are improving and have some good young players coming along. There's that.
    As of this morning they're not quite yet eliminated from the wildcard race.

Cue Jim "So you're telling me there's a chance!" Carrey.

But it's more like a 100 yd dash in which the top 5 runners are within a couple steps of the tape, and you're about 80 yards behind ... you can technically still win, but they all have to have simultaneous heart attacks and fall down.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Yes there's that. And, as I've said here before, the Tigs are a very good looking bunch of young men. So, that's fun!

But the Miseries, a disgusting bunch of boneheads.

DBR's favorite QB taunts the woof gods by saying the NFL has gotten softer in recent years. Hmmmm...

(yes, the Tigers have progressed from hapless to competitive, which is nice).

Unbelievable TD return by the Jags after the Cardinals short a 68 yard field goal.

I only saw the final play but it seems like the Lions lost in the most Lions way ever.

Though as a Giants fan I should probably keep quiet. Yuck.

Oy. My Seahawks look like Duke. Little to no defense.

Oy. To be a Mets/Jets fan. I give up.

Richard Sherman better be in a Bucs uniform next week if Tampa Bay wants to repeat. Their secondary was poor last year, and with two starters out now they are abysmal. They have no hope of a repeat championship if they don’t shore up the secondary. Absolutely no chance. Of course Gilmore would be better. Am I asking for too much?