Page 51 of 72 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 1438

Thread: 2021 NFL Season

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I don't follow baseball enough to make sense of it. I just read it that the home team is first up and if they score, game over, thus the visitors don't get a shot.

If that's not the case (and I don't care enough about baseball to verify), then that leaves football as the only sport that can end with only one team/opponent having the ball. And that was the point of the post.

Edit...I did read the rules wrong and you are correct. So that leaves only football.
    Baseball is probably among the fairest sports in giving both teams their fair shot at winning the entire game including extra innings. For one, there is no clock in baseball. Secondly, it’s the only sport I’m aware of where the defense does possess the ball. The visiting team gets to have a half inning where they go on offense and try to score. The home team’s defense has to throw the ball over the plate and let the visitors get their swings in or else they will walk the visiting team’s batters most likely and that will eventually lead to runs and they’ll lose. Conversely, if the home team’s defense can get off the field and register 3 outs, they also get their fair shake at the plate.

In order to win a baseball game, what’s cool about the sport is you have to give their other offense their fair shake in a non-timed environment. It’s probably the fairest sport of them all to me on the basis of rules in that regard, especially in OT (extra innings).

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Didn't Duke win an NCAA Lax championship this way?

But a face-off is a 50-50 start, not a team given the ball to start.

-jk
    Yeah, I believe they did.

If the NFL doesn’t modify their OT rules, does this uproar about the unfairness of the current rule structure raise the demand for statisticians to be hired by NFL clubs? They could analyze the coin flips around the league and run some type of algorithm or analysis that predicts what the teams should call (heads or tails) on the coin flip for that game to give them the best odds of winning the coin toss and getting the ball. Seems better than the current “tails never fails” or “you bet with your head so go out there and pick heads” methodology most NFL clubs most likely employ. Or maybe, instead of this, work on defensive schemes better to prevent teams from shoving it down your throat right off the bat in OT!

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Maybe they’ll be back next year better than ever after a long offseason stewing on how to win a game up 3 with 13 seconds left. I hope they are. I’m tired of seeing the Chiefs in the AFC title game.
    Maybe, but Allen had a truly historic run at the end of the season and through two playoff games and he still came up short. These type of experiences can either cause you to persevere and overcome, or send you reeling backwards. Perhaps it’s the Buffalo history, but I fear the second option is more likely than the first. So I think you better get used to the Chiefs not only being in the AFC title game, but probably going to the Super Bowl multiple times over the next decade. They are young, and they seem to enjoy playing together. I doubt the band is going to be broken up anytime soon.

-jk
    CJ Costabile for our first title in 2010 over ND.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    Maybe, but Allen had a truly historic run at the end of the season and through two playoff games and he still came up short. These type of experiences can either cause you to persevere and overcome, or send you reeling backwards. Perhaps it’s the Buffalo history, but I fear the second option is more likely than the first. So I think you better get used to the Chiefs not only being in the AFC title game, but probably going to the Super Bowl multiple times over the next decade. They are young, and they seem to enjoy playing together. I doubt the band is going to be broken up anytime soon.
    True, but a key cog of the band turns 64 in less than 2 months and fits the profile by the naked eye of a good candidate for some likely potential health issues in this decade of his life. Andy Reid’s contract also expires in 4 years. So while that isn’t anytime soon it is on the horizon albeit a bit out. He is a top 5 head coach in NFL history without question. Losing him may cause the band to break up in the next 4ish years.

He’s the 4th oldest head coach currently:

Pete Carroll - 70
    Bill Belichick - 69
    Bruce Arians - 69
    Andy Reid - 63
    Last edited by CameronDuke; 01-24-2022 at 04:38 PM.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

-jk
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    CJ Costabile for our first title in 2010 over ND.
    That play was insane, and record setting. Hard to believe it will ever be broken.

Duke Sophomore CJ Costabile, a long stick midfielder, won the opening faceoff cleanly and sprinted straight downfield to score just 5 seconds into the extra period. The goal set the record for the fastest to end an overtime in NCAA championship history, and gave Duke its first national title in school history.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_N...e_Championship
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Hard for me to see who we should expect to be challenging the Chiefs going forward, to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Hard for me to see who we should expect to be challenging the Chiefs going forward, to be honest.
    My point exactly. I think they have clear sailing for the next several years. Yes, Buffalo and perhaps Cincinnati look to be good teams, but Kansas City is head and shoulders above everyone else in the AFC. I just don’t see any legitimate challengers in that conference.

My point exactly. I think they have clear sailing for the next several years. Yes, Buffalo and perhaps Cincinnati looked to be good teams, but Kansas City is head and shoulders above everyone else in the AFC. I just don’t see any legitimate challengers in that conference.
    The Titans and Chiefs had the same regular season record. The Titans actually beat the Chiefs 27-3 this year in their lone meeting. The Bills won one fewer game than the Chiefs in the regular season and beat them 38-20 in their lone regular season meeting. They lost in OT on the road in the playoffs to them. The Chiefs are good, but it’s a stretch to say they’re head and shoulders above everyone else in the AFC. They’ve lost 5 times this year. They’re good but not unbeatable.

I would certainly expect them to be heavy favorites against Cinci and the eventual NFC champion (of course nothing in sports is gaurunteed).

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post

Oh no, we really do hate prevent D. Don't get me wrong, execution is important but some of us understand the prevent D quite well but still hate it. Note these same people probably hate when Coach K plays stall ball (even though it's usually successful).
    I phrased this quite poorly, as evidenced by the fact that I railed against the prevent. I probably should have said:"I dont hate the idea prevent defense, but I hate how it is imagined and implemented." Good point by you.

The Titans and Chiefs had the same regular season record. The Titans actually beat the Chiefs 27-3 this year in their lone meeting. The Bills won one fewer game than the Chiefs in the regular season and beat them 38-20 in their lone regular season meeting. They lost in OT on the road in the playoffs to them. The Chiefs are good, but it’s a stretch to say they’re head and shoulders above everyone else in the AFC. They’ve lost 5 times this year. They’re good but not unbeatable.
    They had some bumps in the road early on, but they turned it on when they needed to. Buffalo was absolutely right there with them. But can the Bills sustain that kind of success going forward? I’m just not sure. Right now I’m inclined to say Kansas City is indeed heads and shoulders above the competition in the AFC.

YMMV… but for the Chiefs this is four years in a row in the AFC championship game. And if they win this Sunday, three years in a row in the Super Bowl. That’s nothing to sneeze at. And they are a young team at that.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    My point exactly. I think they have clear sailing for the next several years. Yes, Buffalo and perhaps Cincinnati look to be good teams, but Kansas City is head and shoulders above everyone else in the AFC. I just don’t see any legitimate challengers in that conference.
    Don’t forget the Chargers.

Okay, now that I’m done laughing, I tend to agree that the Chiefs look poised to continue their dominance in the AFC. That said, it only takes a few key injuries and bad personnel decisions to bring a team back to the pack. Even players who are not knocked out by injuries are slowed by age and cumulative hits.

It is very impressive what Kansas City has done building and maintaining the team that they have now. The question is whether they will be able to find ways to extend that run as they lose key players along the way.
    Carolina delenda est

Baseball is probably among the fairest sports in giving both teams their fair shot at winning the entire game including extra innings. For one, there is no clock in baseball. Secondly, it’s the only sport I’m aware of where the defense does possess the ball. The visiting team gets to have a half inning where they go on offense and try to score. The home team’s defense has to throw the ball over the plate and let the visitors get their swings in or else they will walk the visiting team’s batters most likely and that will eventually lead to runs and they’ll lose. Conversely, if the home team’s defense can get off the field and register 3 outs, they also get their fair shake at the plate.

In order to win a baseball game, what’s cool about the sport is you have to give their other offense their fair shake in a non-timed environment. It’s probably the fairest sport of them all to me on the basis of rules in that regard, especially in OT (extra innings).
    Baseball is also a sport where lefties have advantages because of the geometry of the game. In particular, lefties don't have to be catchers. - I considered this a big plus in Little League, being a lefty who was built like a backstop.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    It seems to me that football and baseball are the only sports that potentially don't give both teams a chance. In baseball, if the home team scores a run in the first inning, they win the game and team 2 goes home in Buffalo Bills style.

But every other sport I can think of, it's likely that both teams at least touch the ball (or puck in the case of hockey). Of course that's due to the structure of those sports, where there are two definitive sides. In basketball/hockey/tennis/golf, etc, the two opponents are both playing offense and defense during a structured time. In hockey, I guess one team could win the faceoff and miraculously make it untouched to the goal and score, but that's rare and also in that case, the losing team deserves it, lol.
    Huh? Lol

Yep, you can play stall ball like in basketball or milk the clock like in football. It’s really the only sport where you’re basically forced to keep playing all the way to the end.

BTW, the Chiefs are heavy favorites to win the Super Bowl out of the four teams that are left. Going off at +120. Rams are next in line at +200. Sounds about right. As much as I’ll be rooting for the Bengals, I can’t see the Super Bowl being anything except KC v LA. With Kansas City being decent favorites.

Anyone think otherwise?

Quote Originally Posted by kshepinthehouse View Post
    Yep, you can play stall ball like in basketball or milk the clock like in football. It’s really the only sport where you’re basically forced to keep playing all the way to the end.
    Baseball teams have been known to play stall ball if they have the lead after five innings and a thunderstorm is on the way.

Sorry, ump, my hamstring is really bothering me. Just take a few to work out the kinks. Just a few.

BTW, the Chiefs are heavy favorites to win the Super Bowl out of the four teams that are left. Going off at +120. Rams are next in line at +200. Sounds about right. As much as I’ll be rooting for the Bengals, I can’t see the Super Bowl being anything except KC v LA. With Kansas City being decent favorites.

Anyone think otherwise?
    Well no, but then again, would anyone have thought this weekend that both #1 seeds would go down (at home, of course) and that one #2 seed would as well, and the other #2 would need a mind-bending comeback to win in OT? We came very, very close to the conference finals being a a 6 vs. 4 and a 4 vs. 3.

My NFL OT idea

Each team gets one possession. If game is still tied, then next score wins.

So if you win the coin toss and kick off you will know if you need a field goal or TD to tie or win.
    But if you don't outscore the receiving team, then the receiving team needs only to score to win.

SoCal