Page 50 of 72 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast
Results 981 to 1,000 of 1438

Thread: 2021 NFL Season

Touché. No hard feelings on my end. ROTFL

Quote Originally Posted by kshepinthehouse View Post
    I guess maybe as a previous poster stated maybe they’re just that scared of Tyreek Hill.
    Which ain't crazy. I'm just positing that it is more likely he outruns you if he catches one in space than winning a jump ball against three Defenders.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    Well I guess if you didn’t care who won, it was a very entertaining game. For me it absolutely sucked. I’ll be rooting hard for the Bengals, but it seems inevitable to me. Kansas City and LA in a Super Bowl that I will not watch.

On the plus side I went 2-2 this weekend. So I’m 7-3 picking these games in the playoffs. But oh how I wanted to be wrong today with both my picks! Utterly heartbreaking.
    I thought the Bills/Chiefs game was the real super bowl (2 best teams). I'm really hoping for KC vs LA, that looks like a great Super Bowl. KC has shown a lot the last few years. Solid franchise. And Stafford is so easy to root for after suffering in Detroit for so long.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Defense and special teams are important components of the game, too. If one of those components is inept, your team should have to pay for it.
    Although your statement is true, the rules of the NFL have changed and improved over the years to favor the offense. The overtime rule has not changed. Thus the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    So, is there any doubt that this past weekend was the best NFL weekend in history? Can anyone even put forth a close second place?

That was bananas.
    I can't remember a better weekend of NFL football. 4 great games and seeing Rodgers miss his shot and TB12 ousted. Just great stuff all around.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonDevil View Post
    It isn't prevent D people hate, it's the execution.
    Oh no, we really do hate prevent D. Don't get me wrong, execution is important but some of us understand the prevent D quite well but still hate it. Note these same people probably hate when Coach K plays stall ball (even though it's usually successful).

best 2 minutes in football

I grew up in Buffalo...this is painful.

1) Should have probably squibb kicked to burn a few seconds and give KC only one play to get into field goal range.

2) Probably would have ruined the spirit of a great game, but the bills could have just tackled every receiver at the line of scrimmage and taken the 10 yard holding penalty while burning 4-5 seconds. Not sure I would have applauded that play, but I would rather be playing next week.

3) played better defense

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    So, I'm looking at this from a fan's perspective --- why would the owners veto? Average offensive output has increased the past decade, offenses have changed structures and scoring outputs, and rules have changed to favor offenses. It would seem that now more than ever, a coin toss in overtime signals is a lucky break.

Cursory google research backs this up --- the team that wins the coin toss has a statistically significant advantage in winning OT games. I guess owners WANT that? As a fan, I definitely do not.
    The answers are always muddied, but imo it comes down to the fact the owners are just generally conservative. They see college OT as "not real football". They will make tweaks, such as the "need a TD on the first drive" rule, but I doubt we see anything more major than that. The anger over this will peter out in a few months just like it did in 2019, and they'll fall back on reasons like player health, which they don't really care about either, but it's a convenient excuse.

I heard an interesting idea this morning... Just say who is going to get the ball first in OT (if it goes that far) at the initial pre-game coin flip. That probably wouldn't have changed last night's results too much, but if the Chiefs had an extra 20 seconds and they knew that Allen would get the ball first in OT, they aren't going for a tie there.

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    No NFL team would ever do this, but I wonder what would have happened if the Bills played total prevent for the last 13 seconds - no pass rush, but 11 defensive backs. Chiefs could easily run for 10 yards at a time but don't think they would have had enough time to get into FG range.
    Tony Romo made a similar point (just not all 11). You know Mahomes had to get the ball out quick, so the pass rush wasn't going to do anything anyway. Don't waste those spots. Even just rushing two guys to keep KC honest, the Bills could have triple-covered Hill AND Kelce and had guys leftover.

I am Chiefs fan and my heart goes out to Buffalo. To quote Coach K "Both teams were worthy of winning the game". Josh Allen and Patrick Mahomes are the future of the QB position in the NFL. I can't believe that in 2017 6 players went ahead of Allen (including two quarterbacks, Baker Mayfield and Sam Darnold) and in 2018 9 players went ahead of Mahomes (including Mitch Trubisky at QB). I loved watching Allen dismantle the Patriots. I really hope Buffalo under McDermott and Allen win a Super Bowl some day. The AFC has another great young QB in Joe Burrow. Should be a fun matchup next weekend in KC.

That was the most exciting weekend of football I have ever seen. Quite a contrast between how the Chiefs handled their last 13 seconds and the Cowboys theirs, although the Chiefs had all their timeouts. Also somewhere Andy Reid learned clock management.

As for the Rams and the Bucs, that was a just outcome. Matthew Stafford completely outplayed Tom Brady. The only reason Tampa got back into it is because they got 2 short field touchdowns after Ram turnovers. Brady did have the one great long TD pass, but when the Rams weren't turning it over, Tampa couldn't move the ball. I actually really like and respect Tom Brady, but it was hilarious to see him get called for a 15 yard unsportsmanlike when he bragged earlier in the week about how he got away with chirping to the refs so much. The way Stafford and Kupf executed on that last drive was Brady and Gronk like. The big question for Brady is that Tampa is likely not be as talented next year as they were when they won the Super Bowl and they also had great injury luck in 2020.

Aaron Rodgers is as gifted as QB as I have ever seen, but man have the Packers had some gacks in the playoffs.

I agree that the NFL overtime rules should be changed, but they worked against the Chiefs in the 2019 AFC title game, so it's karma that it worked for them yesterday. Also they have been changed because it used to be any score ended the game and now you at least have to get a touchdown.

Quote Originally Posted by kexman View Post
    2) Probably would have ruined the spirit of a great game, but the bills could have just tackled every receiver at the line of scrimmage and taken the 10 yard holding penalty while burning 4-5 seconds. Not sure I would have applauded that play, but I would rather be playing next week.
    You can't do this anymore. The NFL changed the rules after the Ravens exploited the loophole a few years back. Multiple holds on the same play to manipulate the clock is a 15 yard penalty and the clock resets.

Now... you could drive a truck through the loopholes in that language too. If "multiple" is the standard, just have 4 dudes tackle Kelce and Kelce only. And there's a lot of subjectivity in proving that a team is trying to manipulate the clock. Kelce/Hill get held all of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by chris13 View Post
    I am Chiefs fan and my heart goes out to Buffalo. To quote Coach K "Both teams were worthy of winning the game". Josh Allen and Patrick Mahomes are the future of the QB position in the NFL. I can't believe that in 2017 6 players went ahead of Allen (including two quarterbacks, Baker Mayfield and Sam Darnold) and in 2018 9 players went ahead of Mahomes (including Mitch Trubisky at QB). I loved watching Allen dismantle the Patriots. I really hope Buffalo under McDermott and Allen win a Super Bowl some day. The AFC has another great young QB in Joe Burrow. Should be a fun matchup next weekend in KC.

That was the most exciting weekend of football I have ever seen. Quite a contrast between how the Chiefs handled their last 13 seconds and the Cowboys theirs, although the Chiefs had all their timeouts. Also somewhere Andy Reid learned clock management.

As for the Rams and the Bucs, that was a just outcome. Matthew Stafford completely outplayed Tom Brady. The only reason Tampa got back into it is because they got 2 short field touchdowns after Ram turnovers. Brady did have the one great long TD pass, but when the Rams weren't turning it over, Tampa couldn't move the ball. I actually really like and respect Tom Brady, but it was hilarious to see him get called for a 15 yard unsportsmanlike when he bragged earlier in the week about how he got away with chirping to the refs so much. The way Stafford and Kupf executed on that last drive was Brady and Gronk like. The big question for Brady is that Tampa is likely not be as talented next year as they were when they won the Super Bowl and they also had great injury luck in 2020.

Aaron Rodgers is as gifted as QB as I have ever seen, but man have the Packers had some gacks in the playoffs.

I agree that the NFL overtime rules should be changed, but they worked against the Chiefs in the 2019 AFC title game, so it's karma that it worked for them yesterday. Also they have been changed because it used to be any score ended the game and now you at least have to get a touchdown.
    Rams are the first team in NFL history to lose 4 fumbles and a 20 pt lead and still win the game.

If you don't like Aaron Rodgers, for whatever reason, you'll love this compilation:

https://www.barstoolsports.com/blog/...ing-on-twitter

My personal favorite:

Aaron Rodgers is learning what George McCaskey knows all to well.

Owning the Bears doesn’t get you much in the playoffs
    (though I wish the tweeter could spell)

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    I have to say, I don't like the NFL's overtime rule that doesn't let the Bills get a chance to put a TD on the board in response.
    I like the idea of tweaking the OT rules to allow each team at least one possession. However, if the team that wins the coin toss scores on their first possession, the other team would need to beat that score on their one and only possession.

In other words,

- If the Chiefs kicked a field goal on their first possession yesterday, the Bill would have one possession to score a touchdown.
    - If the Chiefs score a touchdown (and extra point) on their first possession, the Bills would have one possession to score a touchdown and 2-point conversion.

This would allow each team at least one chance on offense, but would reduce the chance of a prolonged OT with teams matching each other score by score.

(I am not sure what should happen if the first team to possess the ball scores a touchdown and a 2 point conversion.)

Quote Originally Posted by House P View Post
    I like the idea of tweaking the OT rules to allow each team at least one possession. However, if the team that wins the coin toss scores on their first possession, the other team would need to beat that score on their one and only possession.

In other words,

- If the Chiefs kicked a field goal on their first possession yesterday, the Bill would have one possession to score a touchdown.
    - If the Chiefs score a touchdown (and extra point) on their first possession, the Bills would have one possession to score a touchdown and 2-point conversion.

This would allow each team at least one chance on offense, but would reduce the chance of a prolonged OT with teams matching each other score by score.

(I am not sure what should happen if the first team to possess the ball scores a touchdown and a 2 point conversion.)
    Why not just make OT seven minutes long and give each team 3 TOs? After that, it’s sudden death.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    It seems to me that football and baseball are the only sports that potentially don't give both teams a chance. In baseball, if the home team scores a run in the first inning, they win the game and team 2 goes home in Buffalo Bills style.

But every other sport I can think of, it's likely that both teams at least touch the ball (or puck in the case of hockey). Of course that's due to the structure of those sports, where there are two definitive sides. In basketball/hockey/tennis/golf, etc, the two opponents are both playing offense and defense during a structured time. In hockey, I guess one team could win the faceoff and miraculously make it untouched to the goal and score, but that's rare and also in that case, the losing team deserves it, lol.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

If we’re really talking about changing the rules, I think if a team kicks a field goal with no time left on the clock in regulation then the other team deserves to get the ball and see if they can go down and also kick a field goal to tie the game back up. This should be a retroactive rule that goes back only to yesterday’s games. Not Saturday’s. :

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    It seems to me that football and baseball are the only sports that potentially don't give both teams a chance. In baseball, if the home team scores a run in the first inning, they win the game and team 2 goes home in Buffalo Bills style.
    ??? They don't change the inning order in extra innings in baseball, they just stick a runner on second base. If the visitors score a run in the top half, the home team gets a chance to re-tie or better that score in the bottom half. If the visitors fail to score, then a single run ends the game for the home team - but the visitors already had their shot.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    ??? They don't change the inning order in extra innings in baseball, they just stick a runner on second base. If the visitors score a run in the top half, the home team gets a chance to re-tie or better that score in the bottom half. If the visitors fail to score, then a single run ends the game for the home team - but the visitors already had their shot.
    I don't follow baseball enough to make sense of it. I just read it that the home team is first up and if they score, game over, thus the visitors don't get a shot.

If that's not the case (and I don't care enough about baseball to verify), then that leaves football as the only sport that can end with only one team/opponent having the ball. And that was the point of the post.

Edit...I did read the rules wrong and you are correct. So that leaves only football.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

But every other sport I can think of, it's likely that both teams at least touch the ball (or puck in the case of hockey). Of course that's due to the structure of those sports, where there are two definitive sides. In basketball/hockey/tennis/golf, etc, the two opponents are both playing offense and defense during a structured time. In hockey, I guess one team could win the faceoff and miraculously make it untouched to the goal and score, but that's rare and also in that case, the losing team deserves it, lol.
    In hockey, it’s possible for teams to be in OT and one team not touch the puck. If a team loses the face-off and the team that wins the face-off possesses the puck and scores, the losing team would have never touched the puck or gone on offense.

In hockey, it’s possible for teams to be in OT and one team not touch the puck. If a team loses the face-off and the team that wins the face-off possesses the puck and scores, the losing team would have never touched the puck or gone on offense.
    I wish I had thought of that in my post.

In hockey, I guess one team could win the faceoff and miraculously make it untouched to the goal and score, but that's rare and also in that case, the losing team deserves it, lol.

I wish I had thought of that in my post.
    Lol, touché. To me, the losing team deserves it in the NFL too if they lose the coin toss and their defense lets the opposing offense shove it down their throat or up their rear for a TD on the first drive like the Bills did last night. The fact that the Bills also couldn’t hold a 3 point lead with 13 seconds left further proves they weren’t worthy of winning as a team in the big picture. Their offense put on an amazing show and I have nothing against the Bills. I was actually pulling for them. How can you not like their fans? Bills mafia is so fun to watch get into the game and support their team. But they did not deserve to win that game after that total meltdown with 13 seconds left. It’s like they were caught being fan boys of how amazing Josh Allen was on their last drive they totally forgot how to coach and execute special teams and defense. Maybe they’ll be back next year better than ever after a long offseason stewing on how to win a game up 3 with 13 seconds left. I hope they are. I’m tired of seeing the Chiefs in the AFC title game.

Didn't Duke win an NCAA Lax championship this way?

But a face-off is a 50-50 start, not a team given the ball to start.

-jk