Page 10 of 72 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 NFL Season

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    There's a lot of competition for "the most Lions-esque loss ever"...
    Yes, but really, the Miseries keep outdoing themselves, so there's that.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

The football insanity continues...

What's the deal with the owners kiboshing a team in STL? They paid 850 mil to shut it down and included the provision that all the negotiation documentation and records be destroyed. I probably have things mixed up but doesn't that sound pretty fishy?
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

How 'bout that Football Team?!?

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    What's the deal with the owners kiboshing a team in STL? They paid 850 mil to shut it down and included the provision that all the negotiation documentation and records be destroyed. I probably have things mixed up but doesn't that sound pretty fishy?
    Word on the street is that it's not so much anti-St. Louis sentiment as it was a distinct desire to get back into LA. Several prominent NFL owners, including Jerry Jones (Cowboys), the Kraft family (Patriots), the Mara & Tisch families (Giants), and the Lurie family (Eagles), have significant business interests in the Los Angeles area (and there are surely other prominent NFL figures with likewise significant stakes there).
    It is unquestionably fishy. Some of the latest news is that, in the last round of discovery for the lawsuit between St. Louis and the league & owners, it's been revealed that much of the NFL and its stakeholders' documentation regarding the move has been (illegally) destroyed. It will be very interesting to see what judgment St. Louis (or whoever the actual named plaintiff is) might eventually get against the NFL, and who would foot the bill if the league actually gets tagged. The league would figure to be on the hook for a judgment in the hundreds of millions, and at least some of the relevant verbiage suggests that all 31 owners would be responsible for paying it collectively.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Word on the street is that it's not so much anti-St. Louis sentiment as it was a distinct desire to get back into LA. Several prominent NFL owners, including Jerry Jones (Cowboys), the Kraft family (Patriots), the Mara & Tisch families (Giants), and the Lurie family (Eagles), have significant business interests in the Los Angeles area (and there are surely other prominent NFL figures with likewise significant stakes there).
    It is unquestionably fishy. Some of the latest news is that, in the last round of discovery for the lawsuit between St. Louis and the league & owners, it's been revealed that much of the NFL and its stakeholders' documentation regarding the move has been (illegally) destroyed. It will be very interesting to see what judgment St. Louis (or whoever the actual named plaintiff is) might eventually get against the NFL, and who would foot the bill if the league actually gets tagged. The league would figure to be on the hook for a judgment in the hundreds of millions, and at least some of the relevant verbiage suggests that all 31 owners would be responsible for paying it collectively.
    This was resolved last week - the league owes St. Louis $790 million. This article that I quickly found doesn't specify, but I believe Kroenke is paying most/all of the bill. This is a nice windfall for St. Louis, whose finances are fine but not spectacular.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...s-angeles-790m

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    This was resolved last week - the league owes St. Louis $790 million. This article that I quickly found doesn't specify, but I believe Kroenke is paying most/all of the bill. This is a nice windfall for St. Louis, whose finances are fine but not spectacular.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...s-angeles-790m
    Oh, I hadn't seen this; thanks for posting. Kroenke will presumably absorb things easily enough...he and the other American owners of English Premier League soccer clubs heavily (over) leveraged their purchases and are now just printing money with "stock sales" and dividends and whatnot.
    I do think it's funny that he's now decidedly not the most popular kid in the billionaires' club, though.

The WFT has quietly won 3 in a row to get to 5-6 and currently control their own playoff destiny with 6 games left as the 7 seed (3rd wild card spot) in the NFC.

Their last 6 games:

At Oakland (6-5)
    At/Vs Dallas (7-4)
    At/Vs Philadelphia (5-7)
    At NYG (4-7)

They started 2-6. It’s looking favorable for Ron Rivera to make the playoffs in his first two years there as head coach.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    The WFT has quietly won 3 in a row to get to 5-6 and currently control their own playoff destiny with 6 games left as the 7 seed (3rd wild card spot) in the NFC.

Their last 6 games:

At Oakland (6-5)
    At/Vs Dallas (7-4)
    At/Vs Philadelphia (5-7)
    At NYG (4-7)

They started 2-6. It’s looking favorable for Ron Rivera to make the playoffs in his first two years there as head coach.
    That was a crazy game last night, if anybody actually put eyes on it (spoilers coming).

Near the end of the first half, the WFT had made a touchdown to make the score 9-7 in favor of "the Team." They they attempted the extra point. It came off really low, hit one of the defensive line layers on the arm, bounced forward and was scooped up by the same player, who carried it all the way back to the opposite end zone for what is now a safety, making the score 9-9 at the half, rather than 10-7 (essentially like gifting the Seadogs a field goal). In the process, Washington's place kicker, who had attempted to chase down the lineman, pulled a hamstring and was unable to kick at all thereafter.

Tress Way, the punter for the Team, did the kickoff of the second half, but was not up to field goals or even extra points. Rivera indicated that they would go on all fourth downs midfield or closer to the opposing team's endzone and punt the rest. Any touchdown would be followed by a 2-point try, as they didn't even have anybody on the team who could make an extra point.

Well, when the Team made their first touchdown of the second half, sure enough, they went for two. They had gone oh-for-their last 12 two-point conversions, but they actually made it, making the score Team 17, Seadogs 9. What followed was a defensive slug-fest; at one point the Seadogs lived up to their nickname, going three-and-out five consecutive times.

With about 8 minutes to go in the game, the WFT did what the WFT does; namely, run off a very long, very drawn-out drive that eats up a ton of time. They got to the point that it was fourth and goal from the 4-yard line. In any sane world, they send out the kicker who makes the chippy field goal and makes it a two score game with just over two minutes left to play. But remember, the WFT had ZERO field goal kickers waiting on the sideline. So they went for the touchdown on fourth and goal. Heinicke threw a pass to Logan Thomas about two feet inside the end zone which it appears he caught for what would be the game-winning touchdown. The refs signaled touchdown and the crowd went wild! You guessed it, after review they decided he had not controlled the ball the entire way to the ground, and therefore the points were taken off the board.

This left the Seadogs on the 4-yard line, still only one score down, but with about 2:14 seconds left, no time-outs, and an offense that had barely made a first down in the entire second half.

Of course you knew exactly what was going to happen. They marched down the field. Landon Collins, the middle linebacker, got injured when the Seadogs were on about the WFT 35-yard line and had to go out. The next play they went right at his replacement, who left the receiver WIDE OPEN in the center of the field for a very easy touchdown. But they still needed a 2-point conversion to tie the game. Surprisingly, the WFT did not dial up the pressure on the conversion, leaving Wilson plenty of time to survey the field. He thought he found his open receiver, but one of the other cornerbacks saw the throw coming, left his receiver, and made the interception.

Game over, right? Only 15 seconds left to play, two-point lead, Seattle kicking off to you. Well....if you have watched as many WFT games as I have, you might've expected some of what came next. They set up the onside kick and Seattle appeared to have recovered it at about the WFT 44. The Seadog player OBVIOUSLY had the ball. I started to sweat. One pass play that gets out of bounds and then a field goal and Washington could actually lose a game they essentially dominated. But then came the late flag; illegal formation on the onside kick, 5-yard penalty and the kick is repeated.

Honestly, Seattle ALMOST recovered the second one, too!

Bad news for WFT fans? Collins limping off, short week. McKissic got hit in the head late in the fourth quarter and was taken off on a stretcher; not sure when he'll be back. Still missing Montez Sweat and Chase Young, two of the best defensive ends in the game; no timeline on their return.

Still the only team starting an undrafted guy at quarterback!
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Not sure yet what to make of RG3’s forthcoming memoir but he dropped this bomb in a recent interview

"Sexual harassment victims should share their stories when they are ready not when you want them to," he wrote in a tweet. "The book is not about other people's experiences with sexual harassment in Washington. Its [sic] about my experience with sexual harassment in Washington. Hopefully you will listen."

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Not sure yet what to make of RG3’s forthcoming memoir but he dropped this bomb in a recent interview

"Sexual harassment victims should share their stories when they are ready not when you want them to," he wrote in a tweet. "The book is not about other people's experiences with sexual harassment in Washington. Its [sic] about my experience with sexual harassment in Washington. Hopefully you will listen."
    Sounds like business as usual for the WFT.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Sounds like business as usual for the WFT.
    I totally despise the WTF owner and the leeches surrounding him. Yet, when the team starts to look competitive, I am a born again fan.

I need to be cured of this illness.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    I totally despise the WTF owner and the leeches surrounding him. Yet, when the team starts to look competitive, I am a born again fan.

Many are cured, but reinfection is common.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    That was a crazy game last night, if anybody actually put eyes on it (spoilers coming).

Near the end of the first half, the WFT had made a touchdown to make the score 9-7 in favor of "the Team." They they attempted the extra point. It came off really low, hit one of the defensive line layers on the arm, bounced forward and was scooped up by the same player, who carried it all the way back to the opposite end zone for what is now a safety, making the score 9-9 at the half, rather than 10-7 (essentially like gifting the Seadogs a field goal). In the process, Washington's place kicker, who had attempted to chase down the lineman, pulled a hamstring and was unable to kick at all thereafter.

Tress Way, the punter for the Team, did the kickoff of the second half, but was not up to field goals or even extra points. Rivera indicated that they would go on all fourth downs midfield or closer to the opposing team's endzone and punt the rest. Any touchdown would be followed by a 2-point try, as they didn't even have anybody on the team who could make an extra point.

Well, when the Team made their first touchdown of the second half, sure enough, they went for two. They had gone oh-for-their last 12 two-point conversions, but they actually made it, making the score Team 17, Seadogs 9. What followed was a defensive slug-fest; at one point the Seadogs lived up to their nickname, going three-and-out five consecutive times.

With about 8 minutes to go in the game, the WFT did what the WFT does; namely, run off a very long, very drawn-out drive that eats up a ton of time. They got to the point that it was fourth and goal from the 4-yard line. In any sane world, they send out the kicker who makes the chippy field goal and makes it a two score game with just over two minutes left to play. But remember, the WFT had ZERO field goal kickers waiting on the sideline. So they went for the touchdown on fourth and goal. Heinicke threw a pass to Logan Thomas about two feet inside the end zone which it appears he caught for what would be the game-winning touchdown. The refs signaled touchdown and the crowd went wild! You guessed it, after review they decided he had not controlled the ball the entire way to the ground, and therefore the points were taken off the board.

This left the Seadogs on the 4-yard line, still only one score down, but with about 2:14 seconds left, no time-outs, and an offense that had barely made a first down in the entire second half.

Of course you knew exactly what was going to happen. They marched down the field. Landon Collins, the middle linebacker, got injured when the Seadogs were on about the WFT 35-yard line and had to go out. The next play they went right at his replacement, who left the receiver WIDE OPEN in the center of the field for a very easy touchdown. But they still needed a 2-point conversion to tie the game. Surprisingly, the WFT did not dial up the pressure on the conversion, leaving Wilson plenty of time to survey the field. He thought he found his open receiver, but one of the other cornerbacks saw the throw coming, left his receiver, and made the interception.

Game over, right? Only 15 seconds left to play, two-point lead, Seattle kicking off to you. Well...if you have watched as many WFT games as I have, you might've expected some of what came next. They set up the onside kick and Seattle appeared to have recovered it at about the WFT 44. The Seadog player OBVIOUSLY had the ball. I started to sweat. One pass play that gets out of bounds and then a field goal and Washington could actually lose a game they essentially dominated. But then came the late flag; illegal formation on the onside kick, 5-yard penalty and the kick is repeated.

Honestly, Seattle ALMOST recovered the second one, too!

Bad news for WFT fans? Collins limping off, short week. McKissic got hit in the head late in the fourth quarter and was taken off on a stretcher; not sure when he'll be back. Still missing Montez Sweat and Chase Young, two of the best defensive ends in the game; no timeline on their return.

Still the only team starting an undrafted guy at quarterback!
    It's even crazier IIRC (though I deleted the DVR recording so going off memory here...)

On a play or two before the overruled late 4th down TD, there was a running play where the guy was making no progress, but kept bouncing further and further outside, and eventually was pushed out of bounds, when he should have been down probably between the hashes. Anyway, that stopped the clock around 2:25 or so when it should have ran down to the 2:00 warning.

So on Seattle's late drive, they had an extra 25 seconds of clock they shouldn't have had.

Also, during the late 3rd Q / 4th Q play, Washington was stopped literally three straight times in a row while trying to run the ball on 3rd and 1. The third time they actually went for it on 4th down and converted, but first two were punts.

So let's review:

Make PAT... NO
    Tackle guy who picks up blocked PAT to prevent 2-point score other way... NO
    Convert a 3rd and 1 running play (multiple chances)... NO
    Make sure the clock runs late in game on a running play... NO
    Be able to attempt simple FG from 4-yard line to make it 2-score game... NO
    Successfully corral ball for put-game-out-of-reach TD try on 4th down... NO
    Prevent Seattle from making long pass plays on last-ditch desperation drive... NO
    Prevent Seattle from converting 2-pt try... YES
    Prevent Seattle from recovering on-side kick... NO
    Be thankful one of their guys lined up incorrectly... YES

All they had to do was flip a single 'NO' to a 'YES' and it's not the "oh my gosh I can't believe they're gonna blow this cause it's WFT after all" unnecessarily tense game it became.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie

Right there with you.
    A text without a context is a pretext.

Congrats to the Lions, who are wearing some of the worst jerseys I've ever seen.

The WFT beat the Raiders in Las Vegas today 17-15.

That’s 4 wins in a row for the WFT to get their record to 6-6.

Huge game next Sunday at home in Maryland for the WFT. They host the 8-4, NFC East division leading Dallas Cowboys.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Congrats to the Lions, who are wearing some of the worst jerseys I've ever seen.
    Silverdome Grey!

Yeah, those things looked a bit like what you'd seen in a made-for-TV movie about football, and not even worn by the team the movie would be about. It would be worn by their generic opponent.

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    Silverdome Grey!

Yeah, those things looked a bit like what you'd seen in a made-for-TV movie about football, and not even worn by the team the movie would be about. It would be worn by their generic opponent.
    Is it their special Nike unis? Honestly I hate when Duke wears their grays.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    The WFT beat the Raiders in Las Vegas today 17-15.

That’s 4 wins in a row for the WFT to get their record to 6-6.

Huge game next Sunday at home in Maryland for the WFT. They host the 8-4, NFC East division leading Dallas Cowboys.
    Could be the 1st franchise (I think)to make consecutive playoffs with non-winning records. That’s likely the ceiling with Snyder led enterprise.

Brady leads the league in passing yards and TDs.

I don’t necessarily like the guy but for Pete’s sake the man doesn’t just keep going he keeps being the best. I honestly don’t understand how he’s doing it.