Mr. Smith Goes to College?

This thread might belong rolled into another one but it piqued my interest enough to call it out. Former UNC-commit-who-ultimately-went-straight-to-NBA JR Smith is petitioning the NBA to enroll in North Carolina A&T and join the golf team.

North Carolina A&T athletics spokesman Brian Holloway told ESPN that Smith is officially enrolled in the school and has petitioned the NCAA to be eligible to play. Smith's clock to compete as a collegiate athlete has not yet started because he went to the NBA after high school. Athletes, in most cases, get five years to complete four years of eligibility.

No word on whether he plans to wear a shirt, if successful.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Hopefully they allow him. Even if not, kudos to him for making that choice, especially after a long and successful NBA career.

At the pro-am at the Wyndham Championship in Greensboro, North Carolina, Smith told reporters Wednesday he decided to go back to school after a conversation with Basketball Hall of Famer Ray Allen.

"Ray Allen kind of convinced me," Smith said Wednesday at the golf event. "We had a little golf trip in [the Dominican Republic] and he was talking about some of the things he was doing, about going back to school and challenging yourself for us athletes. I really took heed to it and decided to go back -- and one of the best liberal studies programs is at A&T."
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Hopefully they allow him. Even if not, kudos to him for making that choice, especially after a long and successful NBA career.
    And he has shown that he has matured and grown wiser during his NBA career by realizing his initial choice of going to UNC for an education was not smart and instead choosing to attend a real academic institution, A&T.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    And he has shown that he has matured and grown wiser during his NBA career by realizing his initial choice of going to UNC for an education was not smart and instead choosing to attend a real academic institution, A&T.
    Hah, winner. Cannot spork.

Free golf rounds?! What's not to love?!
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Hah, winner. Cannot spork.
    Got you covered.

They don't mess around - he is already on the roster. They only have six guys including JR, including two guys with very similar names. He is listed as a freshman but I'm not clear on how much eligibility he gets.

I forgot that he went to one of my rival high schools (alma mater of Lance Thomas and a lot of really good soccer players including Claudio Reyna and Gregg Berhalter).

https://ncataggies.com/sports/mens-golf/roster

JR plays his first college golf game and gets attacked by bees in the most JR Smith debut possible while wearing a shirt.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/...olf-tournament

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    JR plays his first college golf game and gets attacked by bees in the most JR Smith debut possible while wearing a shirt.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/...olf-tournament
    JR Smith has applied for membership at Starmount Forest CC, where I am a member. Our golf membership is "full" at 400 members and he is on the waiting list. I'll let you know when he gets in.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

A couple of Duke golfers are playing as individuals at the Grandover Collegiate:
    http://results.golfstat.com/public/l...ayer&tid=23005

Mr. Smith is also there and was in last place after the first round with a +20. He was only +8 in the second round so he is actually two strokes ahead of one of his teammates and eight strokes ahead of a guy from UNC Greensboro.