Page 6 of 56 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    His bet made sense. If she bet it all and they both got the answer, she is $1 short. If she bets less than all and he misses the answer and she gets it, he wins. That bet allows only one scenario where she win: she goes all in, answers correctly and he misses the answer.
    This was what I was thinking as well.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Tonight's game was fascinating. Nicolle was a worthy opponent, and quick on the buzzer, too. She got the DD in the Jeopardy round, which took away one of Matt's primary strategies. After the Jeopardy round Matt was actually in second place.
    In the DJ round, when he hit the first DD, they were tied. Not surprisingly, he went all in, and he got it (it was an easy question). She hit the next DD and bet $5K. Her lack of knowledge of the Bible cost her that bet, but she continued to do pretty well, but fell behind as the round wore on.
    However, when she rang in and answered the final clue correctly, she got to exactly half his total, which meant that she had a chance to win it.

It was a tough clue and she missed it. Matt got it right but he only bet one dollar. I don't understand the strategy at all. He should either have bet nothing and give for the win, or bet a ton (why not bet it all if a one dollar miss would still lose you the game?). That strategy faux was aside, he still lived to play another day.
    Mercifully, Joe Buck's time is over. He got worse from day to day, imo.
    She was so annoying with the way she answered the clues. My wife was loudly pulling against her, and cheered when Matt won on that last question.
    ~rthomas

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    His bet made sense. If she bet it all and they both got the answer, she is $1 short. If she bets less than all and he misses the answer and she gets it, he wins. That bet allows only one scenario where she win: she goes all in, answers correctly and he misses the answer.
    I don't think it makes sense, because there isn't really a scenario where she doesn't go all in. She has to go all in in order to reach his total. If she bet less than all of it, she would essentially be ceding victory and playing to get $2000 instead of $1000. She didn't strike me as the kind of player who cared about the difference between second and third.

I did not watch but could he have wagered nothing and ensured himself of at least a tie?
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I did not watch but could he have wagered nothing and ensured himself of at least a tie?
    Yes. And has she gone all in and answered correctly, it would’ve gone to a tiebreaker question. He or she who buzzed in first with a correct answer would win it.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Yes. And has she gone all in and answered correctly, it would’ve gone to a tiebreaker question. He or she who buzzed in first with a correct answer would win it.
    Yes Jeopardy changed the rule a while back on ties. It used to be that both people moved on, now they get a single tie breaker question and whoever buzzes in first and responds correctly moves on. In other words, you don't go for the tie anymore like you may have used to unless for some reason you really think you'll buzz faster and know the questiom to some unknown category/answer.

For anyone who thought Mike Richards was an uninspired choice, you'll get another shot: Mike Richards has quit. No word yet on whether or not Bialik steps in full time or they pick someone else.

Yep

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    For anyone who thought Mike Richards was an uninspired choice, you'll get another shot: Mike Richards has quit. No word yet on whether or not Bialik steps in full time or they pick someone else.
    After reading the articles in The Ringer and the Washington Post, I was strongly hoping he was out.

I bet they end up with Ken Jennings.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    yep, he's paying the price for a bunch of ultra stupid comments he had thought were clever. Not sure I could handle Bialik full time, but I may have to.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    After reading the articles in The Ringer and the Washington Post, I was strongly hoping he was out.

I bet they end up with Ken Jennings.
    Agreed. For whatever reason The Ringer has a writer who has basically been on the Jeopardy beat and has done some really good reporting.

I think Jennings is the right hire. I personally like him a lot and think he would be a very good choice. For what it's worth, it seems like Trebek wanted Jennings as his successor. I know others might differ.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Agreed. For whatever reason The Ringer has a writer who has basically been on the Jeopardy beat and has done some really good reporting.

I think Jennings is the right hire. I personally like him a lot and think he would be a very good choice. For what it's worth, it seems like Trebek wanted Jennings as his successor. I know others might differ.
    I guess Alex wanted a number of successors: https://www.yahoo.com/now/video-resu...w's%20helm.

Ken made a few unpleasant comments of his own some time ago, thus are the perils of the internet.

I just want someone who realizes the game isn't all about them personally.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I just want someone who realizes the game isn't all about them personally.
    I just want someone who realizes that the game isn't about them at all.

Joe Buck Fired Back at James Holzhauer Over His 'Jeopardy!' Shade

This is getting fun!

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/joe-...142900551.html

James Holzhauer, former Jeopardy! champion, found out the hard way this Thursday. In early August, Holzhauer tweeted, “Jeopardy says whoever hosts full time will have to quit their other job, so I’m crossing my fingers it’s Joe Buck.” Cool, man. Shot taken. The thing is, Buck is used to any random assortment of barbs and jabs and profanities being lobbed his way from people like Holzhauer, who, you know, also think it's cool to pick on a random sports commentator. On the Sports Illustrated Media Podcast with Jimmy Traina, Buck fired back.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I don't know what the big deal is? Holzhauer clearly loves Jeopardy. If he really hated Joe Buck, why would he hope that Joe gets the gig as the permanent host?

That's a bit like me look at Jay Bilas and thinking, "If NC State hires him to coach basketball, he'll have to quit announcing college basketball games". Um, no thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post

Contract negotiations with Jennings should be fun. Ken: “I know I’m your second choice but I guarantee I’ll last longer than that other guy, so you should pay me more than he was getting.”
    Mike “I’m the other guy and I was doing two jobs for one paycheck. You haven’t got game show hosting experience like I had. Best we can do is give you beginners rate.”
    Ken “So you’re willing to let me walk and talk rather than pay me? Do you really want to shoot yourself in the foot again?”

Yeah

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    I don't know what the big deal is? Holzhauer clearly loves Jeopardy. If he really hated Joe Buck, why would he hope that Joe gets the gig as the permanent host?

That's a bit like me look at Jay Bilas and thinking, "If NC State hires him to coach basketball, he'll have to quit announcing college basketball games". Um, no thank you!
    I thought Holzhauer's tweet was funny, but perhaps that is because I don't like Joe Buck as an announcer. I thought Buck's comeback was pretty weak and not funny at all, but maybe that is also because I don't like Joe Buck as an announcer. In short, I think Holzhauer won the exchange.

I was really impressed with Robin Roberts, and am hoping she gets the gig, even though it’s probably a long shot.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    I thought Holzhauer's tweet was funny, but perhaps that is because I don't like Joe Buck as an announcer. I thought Buck's comeback was pretty weak and not funny at all, but maybe that is also because I don't like Joe Buck as an announcer. In short, I think Holzhauer won the exchange.
    Not only was Joe’s comeback lame, but it also illustrated perfectly why he should not become the Jeopardy host (not that anyone was thinking he should be, lol): anybody who doesn’t know very well who Holzhauer is clearly hasn’t been a fan of the show.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by toughbuff1 View Post
    I was really impressed with Robin Roberts, and am hoping she gets the gig, even though it’s probably a long shot.
    Ewww.

Quote Originally Posted by toughbuff1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Neals384 View Post
    Ewww.
    She was too over the top. Too gushy. Ok for GMA, but not for Jeopardy. I agree with a previous poster, the best host will be one who does not make it about himself/herself.

I am still voting for Aaron Rodgers! And he wants the job!