Page 5 of 55 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    It's not terribly surprising that they would cut slack on the given name, because they are ordered differently in Chinese than most other languages. Plus, it isn't as though he might have been thinking of the wrong Xiaoping (and the main reason for requiring last names is that the first name only isn't usually enough to be sure you actually knew the answer).
    True. I wonder whether he would’ve gotten credit had his response been simply “Deng.”

Quote Originally Posted by Neals384 View Post
    Good analysis. When he eventually loses, it will be the avoidable errors like crossing off the right answer, or missing easy ones like "ethanol."
    Or answering Rickles instead of Dangerfield. Seriously?!? I actually loved Buck's reaction to that one.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    Or answering Rickles instead of Dangerfield. Seriously?!? I actually loved Buck's reaction to that one.
    Yeah, that one was definitely a swing and a miss!

As far as Joe Buck goes, he is better than I thought he would be, but he has to understand that Jeopardy is not a sporting event. There is a little too much hyping and sports talk for the show, in my opinion. Doesn't matter, though, as he is gone soon.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Funny

Exactly! She may be book smart, but she came off as ditzy, the way she giggled at all the responses. I'm glad she's not doing the main shows.
    I liked her laughter. I thought it just showed how much she enjoyed the intelligence of the contestants.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    I liked her laughter. I thought it just showed how much she enjoyed the intelligence of the contestants.
    Not when it was something like, "What is the Black Plague?".

Not when it was something like, "What is the Black Plague?".
    LOL.

But put me down as somebody who felt that she did a lot better than I expected. I actually missed her a little when her turn was up.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    LOL.

But put me down as somebody who felt that she did a lot better than I expected. I actually missed her a little when her turn was up.
    Agree.

Tonight was a close call, at least until final jeopardy.
    He got the daily double on the very first pick of the first round, so could only bet $1000 (it was already the $1000 clue), so he wasnt able to really build up his usual huge early lead.
    When he hit the first daily double of the second round, he only bet $1000 (maybe he wasn't feeling confident about the topic?). Then, his closest competitor found the second daily double. At that point she had ten thousand and he was at about 23K. She bet $9K and got it right, which put her very close behind.
    They all sat and stared at some pretty easy stuff (graveyard of the Atlantic, for example).
    In the end, she had a chance to beat him but he was the only one who got the Final, which I thought was a really easy question.
    Bottom line, though, is another dub. Now he has moved into third all time, presumably behind only Holzhauer and Jennings. Pretty impressive.

I just can't see how one can be smart enough to get on Jeopardy and yet miss last night's Final. Overthinking it?

I just can't see how one can be smart enough to get on Jeopardy and yet miss last night's Final. Overthinking it?
    The pressure of the game is different than our living rooms. As an analogy, a 2 foot putt is one thing in a Tuesday afternoon round at the local course and on the 18th at the Masters on Sunday - for the win.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    The pressure of the game is different than our living rooms. As an analogy, a 2 foot putt is one thing in a Tuesday afternoon round at the local course and on the 18th at the Masters on Sunday - for the win.
    I actually think I could handle the two foot putt for the win.

It's the other three hundred and some shots before the two footer that would do me in.

But yes, I get the point.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Yes, I get that, but,

"Based on a 1974 novel, this film has been described as combining “An Enemy of the People” & “Moby Dick”"

This seemed more like a tap-in to me. Especially right after Shark Week.

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    Elaborate on those reasons? Not challenging-just unfamiliar with what they might be.
    I probably shouldn’t be so judgmental but her fringe parenting beliefs give me the heeby-jeebies. (This is from memory so some details may br off.) She is heavy into bonding and does everything with that intent, starting with home childbirth where she uses no pain meds (interferes with bonding), the childs brother is in the room cutting the umbilical cord (more bonding). The children are carried in a sling for years and decide on their own when to quit breastfeeding and at least one was breastfeeding as a 4yo. She is into not doing anything that would upset the child so no potty training, no sleep training (they sleep in the parental bed whenever and however long they wish), and she says you prevent crying by anticipating the child’s need before it reaches that point. She homeschools and uses no meds or antibiotics with her children, who are raised vegetarian. Bottom line - she is either carrying or breastfeeding or in the bathroom supervising pooping or teaching or sleeping with her children 24/7.

Maybe its all fine, but I lived on the West Coast and became all too familiar with these childs-need-is-my-command holistic parents, watching them feed their children “coop-raised” raw milk, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    I actually think I could handle the two foot putt for the win.

It's the other three hundred and some shots before the two footer that would do me in.

But yes, I get the point.
    Well, I can tell you that if you had three hundred or more shots prior to the two-footer to win, you wouldn't have a two-footer to win. You would've missed the cut.

I agree with the general point that a two-footer is not always a two-footer. Don't even need the pressure of a US Open or Masters to make it harder; might be harder if, for example, it was a putt to beat your personal best score, or to break par for the first time, or to win $50 off your friend, or whatever. The putt is definitely easiest when there is nothing on the line.

Having said that, last night's Final Jeopardy was really, really easy and it surprised the heck out of me that two of the three missed it.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Having said that, last night's Final Jeopardy was really, really easy and it surprised the heck out of me that two of the three missed it.
    Yeah, Moby Dick is the dead giveaway that this is about something in the water. I mean, it has to be this 1970s classic...

Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    I probably shouldn’t be so judgmental but her fringe parenting beliefs give me the heeby-jeebies. (This is from memory so some details may br off.) She is heavy into bonding and does everything with that intent, starting with home childbirth where she uses no pain meds (interferes with bonding), the childs brother is in the room cutting the umbilical cord (more bonding). The children are carried in a sling for years and decide on their own when to quit breastfeeding and at least one was breastfeeding as a 4yo. She is into not doing anything that would upset the child so no potty training, no sleep training (they sleep in the parental bed whenever and however long they wish), and she says you prevent crying by anticipating the child’s need before it reaches that point. She homeschools and uses no meds or antibiotics with her children, who are raised vegetarian. Bottom line - she is either carrying or breastfeeding or in the bathroom supervising pooping or teaching or sleeping with her children 24/7.

Maybe its all fine, but I lived on the West Coast and became all too familiar with these childs-need-is-my-command holistic parents, watching them feed their children “coop-raised” raw milk, etc.
    What does any of this have to do with her ability to read clues?

It's like when local news anchors are advertised as being trustworthy. What does trust have to do with it? An anchor delivers words off a monitor or a sheet of paper. As long as he or she doesn't lie about a storm or an alternate traffic route, I don't care.

I got used to every guest host on Jeopardy! Yes, even Dr. Oz. I thought some were better than others, but all of them were able to read clues out loud. None of them made me forget Alex Trebek, but at least I felt confident that the show would be fine.

I've watched more episodes and more years of Jeopardy! than any other show in my lifetime. My cousin was on Sports Jeopardy! I've personally known 4 Jeopardy! contestants before they were contestants, read the book of a 5th before his appearance, and interacted with a few more (or read their books) after their appearances. And I take absolutely no ownership of the show. I don't particularly care about the personal life of a Jeopardy! host, and I do not require his or her values to align with mine. I'm a nobody, and I take what I can get.

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post

Forgot to out her as an anti-vaxxer. (I have no idea if that's the case.)

Tonight's game was fascinating. Nicolle was a worthy opponent, and quick on the buzzer, too. She got the DD in the Jeopardy round, which took away one of Matt's primary strategies. After the Jeopardy round Matt was actually in second place.
    In the DJ round, when he hit the first DD, they were tied. Not surprisingly, he went all in, and he got it (it was an easy question). She hit the next DD and bet $5K. Her lack of knowledge of the Bible cost her that bet, but she continued to do pretty well, but fell behind as the round wore on.
    However, when she rang in and answered the final clue correctly, she got to exactly half his total, which meant that she had a chance to win it.

It was a tough clue and she missed it. Matt got it right but he only bet one dollar. I don't understand the strategy at all. He should either have bet nothing and give for the win, or bet a ton (why not bet it all if a one dollar miss would still lose you the game?). That strategy faux was aside, he still lived to play another day.
    Mercifully, Joe Buck's time is over. He got worse from day to day, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Neals384 View Post
    Forgot to out her as an anti-vaxxer. (I have no idea if that's the case.)
    I initially said I was not a Bialik fan for non-Jeopardy reasons and nothing else. Then someone asked what the reasons were so I answered, probably with a bit too much detail.

Tonight's game was fascinating. Nicolle was a worthy opponent, and quick on the buzzer, too. She got the DD in the Jeopardy round, which took away one of Matt's primary strategies. After the Jeopardy round Matt was actually in second place.
    In the DJ round, when he hit the first DD, they were tied. Not surprisingly, he went all in, and he got it (it was an easy question). She hit the next DD and bet $5K. Her lack of knowledge of the Bible cost her that bet, but she continued to do pretty well, but fell behind as the round wore on.
    However, when she rang in and answered the final clue correctly, she got to exactly half his total, which meant that she had a chance to win it.

It was a tough clue and she missed it. Matt got it right but he only bet one dollar. I don't understand the strategy at all. He should either have bet nothing and give for the win, or bet a ton (why not bet it all if a one dollar miss would still lose you the game?). That strategy faux was aside, he still lived to play another day.
    Mercifully, Joe Buck's time is over. He got worse from day to day, imo.
    His bet made sense. If she bet it all and they both got the answer, she is $1 short. If she bets less than all and he misses the answer and she gets it, he wins. That bet allows only one scenario where she win: she goes all in, answers correctly and he misses the answer.