Page 48 of 55 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    I'm not sure I understand the hatred of Mayim's hosting. Back when they were giving a bunch of people a shot at it, I thought she was better than anybody not named Ken Jennings.

I still think she does ok. I mean, she's obviously no Ken, but most of the time she does fine. And I'm not a fan of hers otherwise. I have never watched Big Bang Theory and I have no idea what other shows she may have been in.

I find her voice very pleasant, which may be why I am overlooking the other flaws that everybody else sees.
    With you, although she hesitates after the contestant answers - always. I assume that she is waiting for confirmation of correct/incorrect from the producer/technical staff before responding.

It's a bit annoying - Ken doesn't seem to have that problem. It's not that she's not bright - she clearly is...academically.

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    With you, although she hesitates after the contestant answers - always. I assume that she is waiting for confirmation of correct/incorrect from the producer/technical staff before responding.

It's a bit annoying - Ken doesn't seem to have that problem. It's not that she's not bright - she clearly is...academically.
    Ken knows all the answers. She doesn't.

You can often see her looking down at a cheat sheet of sorts to make sure the contestants had it right, too.

But she is nowhere near as bad as people make her out to be.

Well

I'm not sure I understand the hatred of Mayim's hosting. Back when they were giving a bunch of people a shot at it, I thought she was better than anybody not named Ken Jennings.

I still think she does ok. I mean, she's obviously no Ken, but most of the time she does fine. And I'm not a fan of hers otherwise. I have never watched Big Bang Theory and I have no idea what other shows she may have been in.

I find her voice very pleasant, which may be why I am overlooking the other flaws that everybody else sees.
    Besides the awkward delays, when she gives the correct answer after none of the contestants have been able to do so, she has a sort of know it all tone. I don't think she means to have that tone, of course, but it really comes across that way..

Ken, despite being a true know it all, somehow manages to deliver the correct answer in a much more evenhanded way. Also, when a contestant misses a daily double or another big-money answer, Ken expresses sympathy in a way that is very nice.

In the banter where the contestants introduce themselves and respond to questions from the host, Ken handles that very well and has very many quickwitted, humorous responses. Mayim, not so much.

I am really glad, however, that they did not pick Aaron Rodgers. :-)
    That would've been a complete disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Besides the awkward delays, when she gives the correct answer after none of the contestants have been able to do so, she has a sort of know it all tone. I don't think she means to have that tone, of course, but it really comes across that way..

Ken, despite being a true know it all, somehow manages to deliver the correct answer in a much more evenhanded way. Also, when a contestant misses a daily double or another big-money answer, Ken expresses sympathy in a way that is very nice.

In the banter where the contestants introduce themselves and respond to questions from the host, Ken handles that very well and has very many quickwitted, humorous responses. Mayim, not so much.

I am really glad, however, that they did not pick Aaron Rodgers. :-)
    That would've been a complete disaster.

Yeah, his green Jets uni would have looked out of place as host. ��

When does Ken come back - so that I can watch again?

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    When does Ken come back - so that I can watch again?
    He is supposed to be back tomorrow night.
    Last edited by aimo; 03-09-2023 at 01:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    He is supposed to back tomorrow night.
    Thank you for the info. That's great.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Thank you for the info. That's great.
    It will be short-lived:

"Jennings will remain behind the iconic lectern through April 28, at which point Bialik will return (beginning May 1). Bialik will stay put for the rest of Jeopardy!‘s current 39th season, which is slated to conclude in late July."

As I've said before, I don't mind Mayim. I actually think it's nice to get a little variety. Clearly Ken is a much more natural and gifted host, but I think Mayim does a competent job.

I have been enjoying the tournament of return players from old teen tournaments. It's been interesting to watch and most of them are quite likable.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

As I've said before, I don't mind Mayim. I actually think it's nice to get a little variety. Clearly Ken is a much more natural and gifted host, but I think Mayim does a competent job.
    Mayim Bialik walked off “Jeopardy!” in support of the writers’ strike. The “Big Bang Theory” alum departed the set Thursday out of solidarity for the Writers Guild of America, making “Jeopardy!” the first game show to be affected by the ongoing labor dispute. The show must go on, however, as fellow host Ken Jennings will take over the remainder of Bialik’s filming for the one week that remains in Season 39.

https://pagesix.com/2023/05/12/mayim...riters-strike/

Jeopardy Masters

Anyone else watching the Jeopardy Masters tournament? Amazing multi-stage tournament with James Holzhauer, Amy Schneider, Sam Buttrey, Andrew He, Mattea Roach, and Matt Amodio. The level of play is just amazing. Most of them are forced to go "all in" on any Daily Doubles.

And on regular Jeopardy, we've got a long winning streak (8 games) by Hannah Wilson, who is close to dominating, but almost lost in Final Jeopardy in her fifth game. Only a less than optimal wager by the second place person saved her.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Anyone else watching the Jeopardy Masters tournament? Amazing multi-stage tournament with James Holzhauer, Amy Schneider, Sam Buttrey, Andrew He, Mattea Roach, and Matt Amodio. The level of play is just amazing. Most of them are forced to go "all in" on any Daily Doubles.

And on regular Jeopardy, we've got a long winning streak (8 games) by Hannah Wilson, who is close to dominating, but almost lost in Final Jeopardy in her fifth game. Only a less than optimal wager by the second place person saved her.
    Enjoying it. And really liking the banter and personalities being displayed. Very different than “regular” Jeopardy.

Enjoying it. And really liking the banter and personalities being displayed. Very different than “regular” Jeopardy.
    where does this appear? You city folk and all your fancy channels!

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Gee, on my TV it is on the same channel as regular Jeopardy at 8:00 to 9:00

I believe that ABC is carrying it. The syndicated version in Greensboro is on the local CBS channel.

This tournament is on during prime time at 8:00 PM.
    Last edited by killerleft; 05-13-2023 at 08:51 AM. Reason: Add

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    You have TV in VT by now, I assume? Crank up your generators. 😉.

Prime time on ABC. Ch. 7 here in the big city. Every night last week…

Do you have Hulu in VT? Probably not, since you’re still in mud season, but if you do you can watch last week’s show on it.

You have TV in VT by now, I assume? Crank up your generators. 😉.

Prime time on ABC. Ch. 7 here in the big city. Every night last week…
    somewhat amazingly, DirecTV has, for some nefarious contractual reason, taken the local ABC affiliate off the air here...usually these situations are short lived, but not this one.

My tv. as been on the blink for several weeks, so I haven't seen any Jeopardy. A guy came out and fixed it today, so the first thing I did was watch episode one of the Superheroes Tournament. Happy to still score points on triple stumpers given this level of competition, but that's a story for another thread.

very entertaining episode, especially the second half, which featured James. He is really something. I am excited to see the rest of the episodes and see what happens. No spoilers, please.

My tv. as been on the blink for several weeks, so I haven't seen any Jeopardy. A guy came out and fixed it today, so the first thing I did was watch episode one of the Superheroes Tournament. Happy to still score points on triple stumpers given this level of competition, but that's a story for another thread.

very entertaining episode, especially the second half, which featured James. He is really something. I am excited to see the rest of the episodes and see what happens. No spoilers, please.
    I honestly did not know that TVs could be repaired these days...I remember when every town had a tv repair guy...