Page 45 of 56 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Why did Sam wager it all on FJ last night? Makes no sense. He was in second with $20k trailing Amy with $25k, while Andrew had only $6.8k. Everyone got it wrong and Amy came out with the victory. Perfect time to bet nothing...Amy's bet may also have been risky given if both her and Sam got it right, she would have lost despite being in the lead.
    Responding here to prfduke's comment from the other Jeopardy! thread.

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Optimal bet for Sam is somewhere between $5,001 and $6,399. It ensures a correct answer tops Amy (unless she is also correct) but ensures he can't be caught by Andrew with an incorrect answer. Of course, given Amy's wager (which may have been informed by assessing what Sam's optimal bet would have been), he would have lost last night anyway had he made such a bet.
    That makes sense. Thanks.

Sam going all-in was a sub-optimal bet and cost him the game last night (but would have won him the game if he had the correct response). I wonder what would happen if Amy and Sam end up in a similar scenario again. Would Amy take the same approach next time, or would she "bet to cover with a correct response", knowing that Sam went all-in once. In this sense, due to the nature of the multi-day competition between the same competitors, FJ betting seems a bit like a game of rock-paper-scissors (Amy knows that Sam chose "rock" last night, but would he do it again?).

I also wonder if the optimal betting strategy changes now that the contestant know that the FJ clues seem significantly harder than average even for elite players like Amy, Andrew, and Sam. If I am remembering correctly, there have only been 4 correct responses* out of 12 opportunities in the championship round so far (including 2 triple stumpers). It seems that the most likely outcome for any pair of contestants at this point is "neither gets the correct response". That seems to be how Amy was playing it yesterday.

*or 5, depending on what you make of Wednesday's game.

Quote Originally Posted by House P View Post
    Sam going all-in was a sub-optimal bet and cost him the game last night (but would have won him the game if he had the correct response). I wonder what would happen if Amy and Sam end up in a similar scenario again. Would Amy take the same approach next time, or would she "bet to cover with a correct response", knowing that Sam went all-in once. In this sense, due to the nature of the multi-day competition between the same competitors, FJ betting seems a bit like a game of rock-paper-scissors (Amy knows that Sam chose "rock" last night, but would he do it again?).
    She bet to cover Andrew (more or less) and ended up losing despite going in with a lead and getting FJ correct. I still maintain that has to be the worst feeling - to go into FJ with the lead, get the question right, and still lose because the bet was not high enough. I’d rather lose because I bet too much and got it wrong than lose because I got it right but didn’t bet enough.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    She bet to cover Andrew (more or less) and ended up losing despite going in with a lead and getting FJ correct. I still maintain that has to be the worst feeling - to go into FJ with the lead, get the question right, and still lose because the bet was not high enough. I’d rather lose because I bet too much and got it wrong than lose because I got it right but didn’t bet enough.
    is it fair to assume that Amy will bet cover 2nd place if she finds herself with the lead going into Final Jeopardy on Monday (or Tuesday)?

Yes

is it fair to assume that Amy will bet cover 2nd place if she finds herself with the lead going into Final Jeopardy on Monday (or Tuesday)?
    You would think, but given the difficulty of the FJ questions, is that the right strategy? Or does it depend on who is in second?

Well she's done the same strategy two games in a row, betting to not cover 2nd place. It worked out for her once and didn't the second time. Who knows which has made a larger impression in her mind and also if there was a day break after game 5 in filming that could influence decision making rather than the rapid fire succession of games.

Very good final match. Sam got all 3 daily doubles - I would have made a larger wager than he did on the third, but it wouldn’t have made a difference. Winner was a very deserving champ.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

With the Tournament of Champions completed, we return to Season 39, already in progress. 11-time champion Cris Pannullo resumes play with his 12th episode Tuesday. It's time to add him to the tables. I am not updating the dollar amounts for Amy, Matt, Mattea, Ryan, and Jonathan because these tables are for initial runs only, so they won't include TOC winnings. Check The Jeopardy! Fan in the next few days for that updated list of All-Time Winnings Including Tournaments (it's the one with Brad Rutter at #1).

Name Episodes
    Ken Jennings 75
    Amy Schneider 41
    Matt Amodio 39
    James Holzhauer 33
    Mattea Roach 24
    Julia Collins 21
    David Madden 20
    Jason Zuffranieri 20
    Ryan Long 17
    Matt Jackson 14
    Seth Wilson 13
    Austin Rogers 13
    Arthur Chu 12
    Jonathan Fisher 12
    Cris Pannullo (active) 12

Name Winnings
    Ken Jennings $2,522,700
    James Holzhauer $2,464,216
    Matt Amodio $1,519,601
    Amy Schneider $1,384,800
    Mattea Roach $562,983
    Jason Zuffranieri $534,496
    David Madden $432,400
    Julia Collins $429,100
    Matt Jackson $413,612
    Austin Rogers $413,000
    Cris Pannullo (active) $356,702
    Ryan Long $300,400
    Arthur Chu $298,200
    Seth Wilson $267,002
    Jonathan Fisher $248,100

Mistake last night

the "answer" said the Beverly Hillbillies came from Appalachia. They were actually from the Ozarks.

It's been over a week, so I think we're out of spoiler territory. Cris Pannullo was beaten on his 22nd episode. As always, info gathered from J! Archive and The Jeopardy Fan.

Name Episodes
    Ken Jennings 75
    Amy Schneider 41
    Matt Amodio 39
    James Holzhauer 33
    Mattea Roach 24
    Cris Pannullo 22
    Julia Collins 21
    David Madden 20
    Jason Zuffranieri 20
    Ryan Long 17
    Matt Jackson 14
    Seth Wilson 13
    Austin Rogers 13
    Arthur Chu 12
    Jonathan Fisher 12

Name Winnings
    Ken Jennings $2,522,700
    James Holzhauer $2,464,216
    Matt Amodio $1,519,601
    Amy Schneider $1,384,800
    Cris Pannullo $749,286
    Mattea Roach $562,983
    Jason Zuffranieri $534,496
    David Madden $432,400
    Julia Collins $429,100
    Matt Jackson $413,612
    Austin Rogers $413,000
    Ryan Long $300,400
    Arthur Chu $298,200
    Seth Wilson $267,002
    Jonathan Fisher $248,100

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    the "answer" said the Beverly Hillbillies came from Appalachia. They were actually from the Ozarks.
    More important question - how was the incorrect correct answer pronounced? Could have been, er, doubly incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    More important question - how was the incorrect correct answer pronounced? Could have been, er, doubly incorrect.
    I believe he said, appuhLAYcha. So, yeah, wrong!

Technically, the Ozarks are part of the vast geographic region known as Appalachia, so maybe they just pronounced it incorrectly.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Technically, the Ozarks are part of the vast geographic region known as Appalachia, so maybe they just pronounced it incorrectly.
    Meh, not really. The Ozarks are considered between the Appalachians and the Rockies. Missouri, Arkansas, and Oklahoma.

can someone, ANYONE please stop the current champ from wiggling like he's about to pee in his pants? It's just bizarre.

He is likely just nervous, and that is his response to the stress. He probably isn't even aware that he is doing it.

And since he has an identical twin Brother that is trying out, it is probably best to just get used to it, because we might be seeing it again.

I agree that it is a bit bizarre, but the I don't find it anywhere near as annoying or off-putting as Matea's limp, dangling wrist.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    He is likely just nervous, and that is his response to the stress. He probably isn't even aware that he is doing it.

And since he has an identical twin Brother that is trying out, it is probably best to just get used to it, because we might be seeing it again.

I agree that it is a bit bizarre, but the I don't find it anywhere near as annoying or off-putting as Matea's limp, dangling wrist.
    yeah, the dangling wrist was worse. Maybe they could hook this guy up to a treadmill or something and have him generate electricity...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    can someone, ANYONE please stop the current champ from wiggling like he's about to pee in his pants? It's just bizarre.
    I like the current guy. Yeah, his swaying is a little annoying, but he's funny. I don't think anyone can be as annoying as the hand flipper.

I like the current guy. Yeah, his swaying is a little annoying, but he's funny. I don't think anyone can be as annoying as the hand flipper.
    One thing I'll say for him, he's got the best voice of any champion in a long while.

Let's put Bostondevil on his case, he's Canadian.

Wiggle Man wiggles onward. He does have a nice voice, maybe he should be on radio where he can wiggle without consequence?