Page 4 of 55 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Yeah, I thought Bialik was not so good; I had never heard of her before btw.
    She was Sheldon's love interest in The Big Bang Theory. Which means she's going to host Jeopardy forever because the BBT fanboys/fangirls will be all over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    She was Sheldon's love interest in The Big Bang Theory. Which means she's going to host Jeopardy forever because the BBT fanboys/fangirls will be all over it.
    I can count Big Bang Theory among the dozens of popular shows I have never ever watched. I think I tried once, seems there was a laugh track (?) and I don't do laugh tracks.

It was obvous that most of the other guest hosts wouldn't get the gig, because they had lucrative jobs already, including Dr. Oz peddling useless potions for who knows what.

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    That’s disappointing. I’m especially not a fan of Bialik, albeit mostly for non-Jeopardy reasons. Of course these decisions aren’t permanent - if the ratings fall too far they will give the new hosts the hook.
    Elaborate on those reasons? Not challenging-just unfamiliar with what they might be.

Well

I'm disappointed, because I thought Richards was pretty boring and not the sharpest blade (not that that is very relevant).

I actually liked Bialik a lot, having never watched her on TV before. I would have been good with Jennings, Roberts, or Cohen. Oh well. I'll probably still watch.

Yeah, I thought Bialik was not so good; I had never heard of her before btw.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Also, from 1991 to 1995 she played the title character of the NBC sitcom Blossom.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Bialik’s no dummy.

Per IMDB, “By 1993, while Blossom was still airing, she had already won a deferred place at Harvard and was also accepted by Yale but chose in the end to attend UCLA. She was awarded her Bachelor's degree in 2000 and began reading for a PhD in Neuroscience (studying Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder in adolescents with Prader-Willi syndrome) which she eventually completed in 2007.”

Mayim Bialik is also a Modern Orthodox Jew, which means she is very observant, but fits her religion into the context of the modern world. She refuses to wear very revealing clothing and does not work on the sabbath.

http://jstylemagazine.com/mayim-bial...rthodox-style/
    Bialik does not wear pants outside of her home. She covers her elbows, her skirts are at least knee-length and she doesn’t wear anything with a plunging neckline.

Bialik, best known for her role as Amy Farrah Fowler on CBS’ “The Big Bang Theory,” manages to follow tzniut (laws of modesty) while still looking beautiful and chic in the latest trends.

Raised as a reform Jew in Los Angeles, the 37-year-old star received a bachelor’s degree in neuroscience and Hebrew and Jewish studies from the University of California Los Angeles in 2000 and earned her doctorate in neuroscience in 2007 from UCLA. Bialik is the co-founder and chair of the youth branch of the Jewish Free Loan Association (Genesis) and regularly on a variety of topics, including her journey to embracing traditional Jewish values. She studies Jewish texts weekly with two study partners.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Ken Jennings, I thought, was really good. Buzzy was overly enthusiastic for my tastes. I thought Mayim Bialik was suprisingly good. I didn't like Katie Couric at all. Mike Richards was just....lackluster, I guess is the best word for it.

Yes, I know it is extremely picky to not like Mike because he was "lackluster" but not like Buzzy because he was TOO enthusiastic. I'll defend myself by saying that there is fine line, and walking that line is what makes a Jeopardy host great. Not overly dull, and not overly excitable.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

I don’t like the decision to split it. At all. You can’t sit on two horses with one arse. Just make a decision for crying out loud. Pick the person who blends the attributes you want like Trebek did. Smart, serious about the game, keeps it moving, and a little humor here and there while never making it about himself. Don’t worry about expanding and other platforms and all that which will dilute the product. You’ve got a great thing as is. KISS.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Mayim Bialik is also a Modern Orthodox Jew, which means she is very observant, but fits her religion into the context of the modern world. She refuses to wear very revealing clothing and does not work on the sabbath.

http://jstylemagazine.com/mayim-bial...rthodox-style/
    Interesting. I didn't know that. Having been raised conservative myself, I would imagine that, on a continuum, she is between conservative and orthodox.

She was raised reform so she traveled towards orthodox. It must be harder for those raised orthodox to move the other way...family and cultural pressures, etc.

But just speculating.

For a little while in today's game he looked mortal and beatable. There was a woman from Virginia who was very quick on the buzzer and who was also getting her share of $2000 clues right. I thought if she could have found one of the double jeopardy's and bet a lot, she could have put some pressure on him. He also missed some pretty easy clues, like saying octane when the answer was ethanol.
    He almost looked a little flustered at times, like maybe he us putting pressure on himself the way a golfer does when the round is going really well and there are only a few holes left to play. He may end up losing not because somebody else is actually better than he is but because he loses faith in his ability to keep winning.

Another interesting thing... in tonight's final jeopardy he once again wrote down the correct answer, then crossed it out and wrote down the wrong answer. Tonight he only bet two thousand instead of 20 thousand. In all the years i've been watching jeopardy I don't think I've ever seen a champion write down the correct answer, cross it off and go with the wrong one two nights in a row. But the important thing is that he won again.

Tonight he passed half a million dollars!

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    Bialik’s no dummy.

Per IMDB, “By 1993, while Blossom was still airing, she had already won a deferred place at Harvard and was also accepted by Yale but chose in the end to attend UCLA. She was awarded her Bachelor's degree in 2000 and began reading for a PhD in Neuroscience (studying Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder in adolescents with Prader-Willi syndrome) which she eventually completed in 2007.”
    There were other very smart hosts who I still wouldn't want as permanent host, for examble the very bright and very bizarre Dr. Oz.

There were other very smart hosts who I still wouldn't want as permanent host, for examble the very bright and very bizarre Dr. Oz.
    Exactly! She may be book smart, but she came off as ditzy, the way she giggled at all the responses. I'm glad she's not doing the main shows.

I may get flayed for saying this, but . . .

I never heard of Joe Buck before this, but he's not bad on Jeopardy. He has a good rapport, he's corny-funny, like Alex was, and he's not over the top with extra comments.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    I never heard of Joe Buck before this, but he's not bad on Jeopardy. He has a good rapport, he's corny-funny, like Alex was, and he's not over the top with extra comments.
    yes, my wife had never heard of him but finds him to be easy to take...

He drives me mental during baseball but he's actually been very good on Jeopardy.

Actually he drives me mental during all his sports gigs.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    For a little while in today's game he looked mortal and beatable. There was a woman from Virginia who was very quick on the buzzer and who was also getting her share of $2000 clues right. I thought if she could have found one of the double jeopardy's and bet a lot, she could have put some pressure on him. He also missed some pretty easy clues, like saying octane when the answer was ethanol.
    He almost looked a little flustered at times, like maybe he us putting pressure on himself the way a golfer does when the round is going really well and there are only a few holes left to play. He may end up losing not because somebody else is actually better than he is but because he loses faith in his ability to keep winning.

Another interesting thing... in tonight's final jeopardy he once again wrote down the correct answer, then crossed it out and wrote down the wrong answer. Tonight he only bet two thousand instead of 20 thousand. In all the years i've been watching jeopardy I don't think I've ever seen a champion write down the correct answer, cross it off and go with the wrong one two nights in a row. But the important thing is that he won again.

Tonight he passed half a million dollars!
    Good analysis. When he eventually loses, it will be the avoidable errors like crossing off the right answer, or missing easy ones like "ethanol."

Last night was my first time watching him. He benefited from a couple close decisions by the judges. They overruled to allow "cockadoodle" instead of the more common cockapoo, but cockadoodle is also in common usage, so that was a good decision. His delayed answer on the DD, "What's...T Rex" was not completed before the timing tone, with Rex and the tone coming together like a bang-bang play at first base. In DJ, "Xaioping was allowed, but "Deng" was his surname, and you can't get credit for a given name only. (Take away those answers and he still had a runaway.)

It's not terribly surprising that they would cut slack on the given name, because they are ordered differently in Chinese than most other languages. Plus, it isn't as though he might have been thinking of the wrong Xiaoping (and the main reason for requiring last names is that the first name only isn't usually enough to be sure you actually knew the answer).

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    I agree with you. I have been a Jeopardy fan since the beginning and gave watched all the guest hosts since Alex's passing. Buck is an excellent blend of good raport with the contestants, able to keep the game flow smooth and does not insert himself into the show.

My wife thought Buck was too loud. I thought h