Page 34 of 56 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Feeling a little snarky?

I was happy she lost though she took it very admirably and I felt a little bad because as much as she really annoyed me, I respected her skill at the game.

Somewhat dumb luck for the woman who won on the question topic. I didn’t think it was a very hard question - if they had left out “Coca-Cola” it would have been harder. My family was just there a few weeks ago so all four of us got it.
    yeah, finding her annoying is hardly hating her.

I am glad she finally lost, but I kinda liked her as a person (wavy arms and all). I am on record as disliking the unlimited attempts era of Jeopardy, and I get tired of anyone at some point during their second week of triumphs. So, yes, I liked her and I'm glad she's off (to the champion's tourney).

Her mannerisms (annoying to some, not to others) got me thinking about evolving the game. I concede, times do change. It used to be that a baseball player who hit a home run had to calmly trot around the bases...anything minutely more exuberant got him a ball to the helmet next time up. Now? Now a guy can do cartwheels, stop at second to moon the pitcher, no one bats an eye.

So why not introduce some heckling into Jeopardy? You get just a second or two to mock an opponent's incorrect guess, maybe even take a shot at their clothing choices. It would at least get rid of all the disingenuous clapping when an opponent gets a Double Jeopardy question right. Let the real emotions be revealed!

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Her mannerisms (annoying to some, not to others) got me thinking about evolving the game. I concede, times do change. It used to be that a baseball player who hit a home run had to calmly trot around the bases...anything minutely more exuberant got him a ball to the helmet next time up. Now? Now a guy can do cartwheels, stop at second to moon the pitcher, no one bats an eye.

So why not introduce some heckling into Jeopardy? You get just a second or two to mock an opponent's incorrect guess, maybe even take a shot at their clothing choices. It would at least get rid of all the disingenuous clapping when an opponent gets a Double Jeopardy question right. Let the real emotions be revealed!
    If you ever watch an old episode, like they aired for a while after Alex died, you will notice how fast-paced the old ones were. The whole idea was that you were in "Jeopardy!" and had to earn as much money as possible. Now, they take their times picking a category and make cutesy little remarks, trying to out-clever each other. I think I would prefer a middle ground. I do think that Alex would have cut back her commentary. It cuts down on time and risks leaving questions on the board.

And yeah, I'm glad she's gone.

I am actually going to miss her.

Yep

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Me too. She was awfully good, even if she had only the third longest winning streak this season. Tournament of Champions is going to be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Me too.

per Ken, Mayim gets the driver's seat for the next few months.

Boo hiss! Even Mattea thought Ken should get the job.

Uggg… Sorry but she just rubs me the wrong way. Ken is perfect for the job - what are they doing?

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    Uggg… Sorry but she just rubs me the wrong way. Ken is perfect for the job - what are they doing?
    I agree. There were plenty of others during the "auditions" who were worse than her, but I'm not a big fan, and I agree that Ken is perfect for the job. Is there any chance that this is all that Ken wants to do? I find that hard to believe, but throwing it out there.

The guy from Vandy had some epic meltdowns last night. I felt bad for him as I'm not sure how I would have reacted but it made for interesting viewing. I also thought final Jeopardy was not that hard as there were some clear clues from the wording so I was surprised no one got it.

I agree. There were plenty of others during the "auditions" who were worse than her, but I'm not a big fan, and I agree that Ken is perfect for the job. Is there any chance that this is all that Ken wants to do? I find that hard to believe, but throwing it out there.

The guy from Vandy had some epic meltdowns last night. I felt bad for him as I'm not sure how I would have reacted but it made for interesting viewing. I also thought final Jeopardy was not that hard as there were some clear clues from the wording so I was surprised no one got it.
    That FJ might be easy for some, but I had no idea, not even a guess.

I find her wooden and boring.

Ken has really grown into the role...he looks comfortable. Maybe they're saving money by not naming a permanent replacement yet?

Is there any chance that this is all that Ken wants to do?
    This is the key question here. Ken should be in pretty good shape financially (I would think), and even if not he still might not want the grind that permanent Jeopardy host might involve (I thought it would probably not involve much, to be honest, before watching the special on Trebek and seeing that he put a lot of hours in). As I said somewhere else recently, a promotion is not always a good thing; maybe he is happy with a guest host role.

I agree that he is a better host than Mayim. I also think Mayim does an acceptable job.

Quote Originally Posted by 75Crazie View Post
    I also think Mayim does an acceptable job.
    So this happened on Monday's episode for the $1200 clue of the category You Said It!

MAYIM: This Big Mac entrepreneur: "Work is the meat in the hamburger of life"

EMILY: Who is Roy Kroc?

MAYIM: I'm sorry, no.

KARIM: Who is Kroc?

MAYIM: That's correct.

And they move on to the next clue. This is bad television because the viewer may not have understood what happened here. This is partly a Mayim problem -- I suspect Ken would have gone off-script to explain the distinction -- but it's also a producer problem, if he's prioritizing the host getting through 60 clues to appease the writers rather than educating the viewer.

If it were me, I would have explained, "Emily, his name is Ray Kroc, so we could not accept your answer. Now, had the category been about basketball coaches who were well aware of academic misdeeds at the University of North Carolina, then I personally would have accepted Roy Crock, spelled C-R-O-C-K."

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    So this happened on Monday's episode for the $1200 clue of the category You Said It!

MAYIM: This Big Mac entrepreneur: "Work is the meat in the hamburger of life"

EMILY: Who is Roy Kroc?

MAYIM: I'm sorry, no.

KARIM: Who is Kroc?

MAYIM: That's correct.

And they move on to the next clue. This is bad television because the viewer may not have understood what happened here. This is partly a Mayim problem -- I suspect Ken would have gone off-script to explain the distinction -- but it's also a producer problem, if he's prioritizing the host getting through 60 clues to appease the writers rather than educating the viewer.

If it were me, I would have explained, "Emily, his name is Ray Kroc, so we could not accept your answer. Now, had the category been about basketball coaches who were well aware of academic misdeeds at the University of North Carolina, then I personally would have accepted Roy Crock, spelled C-R-O-C-K."
    In cases like that, Trebek would typically say something like "Yes, the great Ray Kroc" after the "What is Kroc?" response so as to not "call out"/embarrass the person directly but make clear to the viewer the correct response. He was skilled like that.

I guess I didn't realize that the "first response" can be edited though if last name is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    I guess I didn't realize that the "first response" can be edited though if last name is correct.
    It still can't. Emily buzzed in first with Roy Kroc and got it wrong. Karim buzzed in second with Kroc and got it right.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    It still can't. Emily buzzed in first with Roy Kroc and got it wrong. Karim buzzed in second with Kroc and got it right.
    Ah got it, that makes much more sense. Thanks for the explanation. I should have read the people's names in your quotes -- oops! Sorry about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    In cases like that, Trebek would typically say something like "Yes, the great Ray Kroc" after the "What is Kroc?" response so as to not "call out"/embarrass the person directly but make clear to the viewer the correct response. He was skilled like that.

yeah, that was the Jeopardy equivalent of a dangling participle...it really begged a wee explanation, even if all us burger savants knew what happened...