Page 3 of 55 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    I thought he'd bet that. Would have given him the win even if he got it wrong, and the person in second doubled up. As you note, he does go big...
    yeah, his percentages have been really high, why not go for it?

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    yeah, his percentages have been really high, why not go for it?
    Exactly. When you are probably 80+% to know answer why wouldn’t you bet the max amount you can afford to lose? His bet size was smart - just unlucky he got a question he didn’t know answer to.

I'm enjoying Matt's safe-but-enormous Final Jeopardy! bids. They lend a bit of unpredictability to the end of a blowout game. It's good TV. Also reminds me of Martin Scorsese's line in the movie Quiz Show:

“The audience didn't tune in to watch some amazing display of intellectual ability. They just wanted to watch the money.”

I know a lot of people don't like Joe Buck, but his early performance makes me wonder why Jeopardy! didn't ask more announcers to guest host. Alex Trebek himself (who also started out as an announcer) gave two names as potential successors: Laura Coates, a CNN analyst and satellite radio host, and Alex Faust, the play-by-play announcer for the NHL's Los Angeles Kings. Both make a living off their voices, and I don't think either was offered a chance to guest host.

Makes you wonder if the fix was in, with the show's producers asking mostly news people who are unlikely to leave their big, high-profile jobs. Here is the breakdown of guest hosts:

8 TV news hosts and correspondents
    2 former contestants
    2 actors
    1 (mis?)informational TV host
    1 pro athlete
    1 sports announcer
    1 Jeopardy! executive producer

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    Yep, I got it, too! But what an idiot to risk so much when he didn't have to!
    It's his style! Totally fits his usual strategy. Bet it all on the Daily Double in the Jeopardy Round to build a big lead. Generally bet conservatively on the Daily Double during Double Jeopardy to preserve the lead.
    Then, bet almost as much as he can while still preserving the win.

That's why he has made so much money in so few shows. It has been his MO the entire run. The only thing that surprised me was that he didn't know the answer.

I was also surprised he didn't get Steinway, on the first Daily Double in Double Jeopardy. I was yelling it at him, but I guess he didn't hear me.

No, the clue said 16th century man with a crew from Europe..also, Magellan is a portugoose, even though he worked for the Spanish...I only got it because I only know a few penguin species...
    My bad.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    It's his style! .
    I am not a gambler.

I am not a gambler.
    it's only a semi-gamble though when you know you'll win the game no matter what happens in Final Jeopardy.

it's only a semi-gamble though when you know you'll win the game no matter what happens in Final Jeopardy.
    But a full gamble on your ultimate economic outcome (winnings), unless you somehow factor in the the certainty of "living to fight another day".

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    But a full gamble on your ultimate economic outcome (winnings), unless you somehow factor in the the certainty of "living to fight another day".
    since I happen to know you're a crafty MBA as well as an accountant, I'm sure you know that his expected value for going big is, well, big, considering he gets so many answers right, right? (like 80+%)
    You have to lose a few just to keep the Odds Gods at bay.

since I happen to know you're a crafty MBA as well as an accountant, I'm sure you know that his expected value for going big is, well, big, considering he gets so many answers right, right? (like 80+%)
    You have to lose a few just to keep the Odds Gods at bay.
    Heat check, Jeopardy style.

Let me expand that. I am thrifty! And not a gambler.

Let me expand that. I am thrifty! And not a gambler.
    do you often repurpose gifts?

A ranking of the guest hosts

Here's a ranking of the guest hosts in the Washington Post (sorry, but I can't find the article anywhere else):

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts-...-hosts-ranked/

In the opinion of the author of the article, the top four were Ken Jennings, Buzzy Cohen, Katie Couric, and LeVar Burton. The bottom three were Dr. Oz, Joe Buck, and George Stephanopoulos.

https://twitter.com/clairemcnear/sta...97980149321732

Sony officially announces that Mike Richards and Mayim Bialik will be the new hosts - plural - of Jeopardy!, with Richards as the full-time host and Bialik hosting primetime and spinoff series.
    ~rthomas

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post

Sony officially announces that Mike Richards and Mayim Bialik will be the new hosts - plural - of Jeopardy!, with Richards as the full-time host and Bialik hosting primetime and spinoff series.
    That’s disappointing. I’m especially not a fan of Bialik, albeit mostly for non-Jeopardy reasons. Of course these decisions aren’t permanent - if the ratings fall too far they will give the new hosts the hook.

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    That’s disappointing. I’m especially not a fan of Bialik, albeit mostly for non-Jeopardy reasons. Of course these decisions aren’t permanent - if the ratings fall too far they will give the new hosts the hook.
    I mean I am not a major Jeopardy enthusiast or their target audience, but both choices seem like they leave a little to be desired to me. I also think splitting the host duties is weird.

do you often repurpose gifts?
    Not often, but I did once regift to the person who gifted it to me! And she had no clue! It was my cousin, so it's OK.

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post

He was OK. She was horrible. She giggled at every response. Really annoying. I hope they don't ruin Jeopardy with all these extra things.

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    Yeah, I thought Bialik was not so good; I had never heard of her before btw.

Not often, but I did once regift to the person who gifted it to me! And she had no clue! It was my cousin, so it's OK.
    crafty! Put a bow on it and it's brand new!