Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 LastLast
Results 481 to 500 of 539
  1. #481
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Forest Hills, NY
    Ken has grown on me over the past week or so. Now like him. A lot.

    Tough following a Wooden, a Lombardi...or a K.

  2. #482
    My rough eyeball test tells me that Amy is second on that list of winners in winnings per episode, behind Holzhauer and ahead of Amodio. She has benefited from getting way ahead early in most of her matches and then wagering a large, albeit safe, amount of money on daily doubles, which she invariably nails.

  3. #483
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    Ken has grown on me over the past week or so. Now like him. A lot.

    Tough following a Wooden, a Lombardi...or a K.
    yes, I'm getting more comfy with Ken in our home every evening, albeit for about 12 minutes.

  4. #484
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    New year, new tables. Amy Schneider has moved up to 4th place on both lists, and it's a long way to 3rd. Thanks as always to The Jeopardy! Fan for keeping track of things.

    Name Winnings
    Ken Jennings $2,522,700
    James Holzhauer $2,464,216
    Matt Amodio $1,519,601
    Amy Schneider (active) $855,600
    Jason Zuffranieri $534,496
    David Madden $432,400
    Julia Collins $429,100
    Matt Jackson $413,612
    Austin Rogers $413,000
    Arthur Chu $298,200
    Seth Wilson $267,002
    Jonathan Fisher $248,100

    Name Episodes
    Ken Jennings 75
    Matt Amodio 39
    James Holzhauer 33
    Amy Schneider (active) 23
    Julia Collins 21
    David Madden 20
    Jason Zuffranieri 20
    Matt Jackson 14
    Seth Wilson 13
    Austin Rogers 13
    Arthur Chu 12
    Jonathan Fisher 12

    Just as Matt Amodio deserves special credit for enduring a revolving door of hosts, I think Amy Schneider should be applauded for enduring the show writers' cruel, Grinch-like streak of recent Final Jeopardy! clues. Friday's episode was a prime example.

    MUSIC LEGENDS: Of their July 1957 first meeting at a church fair, one of this pair recalled: “I was a fat schoolboy and… he was drunk”

    Earlier in the thread I posted about a different Final Jeopardy! clue about music, where "Lady Marmalade" was a good fit but the correct response "Roxanne" was an even better fit. This time the wrong response that I (and all three contestants) came up was a much better fit than the actual response.

    More in spoiler text:

    Spoiler!

  5. #485
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    New year, new tables. Amy Schneider has moved up to 4th place on both lists, and it's a long way to 3rd. Thanks as always to The Jeopardy! Fan for keeping track of things.

    Name Winnings
    Ken Jennings $2,522,700
    James Holzhauer $2,464,216
    Matt Amodio $1,519,601
    Amy Schneider (active) $855,600
    Jason Zuffranieri $534,496
    David Madden $432,400
    Julia Collins $429,100
    Matt Jackson $413,612
    Austin Rogers $413,000
    Arthur Chu $298,200
    Seth Wilson $267,002
    Jonathan Fisher $248,100

    Name Episodes
    Ken Jennings 75
    Matt Amodio 39
    James Holzhauer 33
    Amy Schneider (active) 23
    Julia Collins 21
    David Madden 20
    Jason Zuffranieri 20
    Matt Jackson 14
    Seth Wilson 13
    Austin Rogers 13
    Arthur Chu 12
    Jonathan Fisher 12

    Just as Matt Amodio deserves special credit for enduring a revolving door of hosts, I think Amy Schneider should be applauded for enduring the show writers' cruel, Grinch-like streak of recent Final Jeopardy! clues. Friday's episode was a prime example.

    MUSIC LEGENDS: Of their July 1957 first meeting at a church fair, one of this pair recalled: “I was a fat schoolboy and… he was drunk”

    Earlier in the thread I posted about a different Final Jeopardy! clue about music, where "Lady Marmalade" was a good fit but the correct response "Roxanne" was an even better fit. This time the wrong response that I (and all three contestants) came up was a much better fit than the actual response.

    More in spoiler text:

    Spoiler!
    Amy is amazing.

    I had the same final jeopardy answer as the contestants, but my son nailed it.

  6. #486
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    North of Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    New year, new tables. Amy Schneider has moved up to 4th place on both lists, and it's a long way to 3rd. Thanks as always to The Jeopardy! Fan for keeping track of things.

    Name Winnings
    Ken Jennings $2,522,700
    James Holzhauer $2,464,216
    Matt Amodio $1,519,601
    Amy Schneider (active) $855,600
    Jason Zuffranieri $534,496
    David Madden $432,400
    Julia Collins $429,100
    Matt Jackson $413,612
    Austin Rogers $413,000
    Arthur Chu $298,200
    Seth Wilson $267,002
    Jonathan Fisher $248,100

    Name Episodes
    Ken Jennings 75
    Matt Amodio 39
    James Holzhauer 33
    Amy Schneider (active) 23
    Julia Collins 21
    David Madden 20
    Jason Zuffranieri 20
    Matt Jackson 14
    Seth Wilson 13
    Austin Rogers 13
    Arthur Chu 12
    Jonathan Fisher 12

    Just as Matt Amodio deserves special credit for enduring a revolving door of hosts, I think Amy Schneider should be applauded for enduring the show writers' cruel, Grinch-like streak of recent Final Jeopardy! clues. Friday's episode was a prime example.

    MUSIC LEGENDS: Of their July 1957 first meeting at a church fair, one of this pair recalled: “I was a fat schoolboy and… he was drunk”

    Earlier in the thread I posted about a different Final Jeopardy! clue about music, where "Lady Marmalade" was a good fit but the correct response "Roxanne" was an even better fit. This time the wrong response that I (and all three contestants) came up was a much better fit than the actual response.

    More in spoiler text:

    Spoiler!
    Thanks for sharing - I have been watching a fair amount but missed this one. The phrase "I was a fat schoolboy" sounds like the opening phrase of one of the most famous songs by the group who everyone guessed. That being said, I am pretty sure they are both Jewish, so they did not come to mind for me due to the church reference. Though I'm not sure who I would have guessed, so I might have ended up with the popular choice. I agree that it is very misleading.

    I have enjoyed Amy's run and home she continues to succeed. Her knowledge across a very wide array of topics is very impressive, and she seems to be both enjoying herself and humble.

  7. #487
    Does anyone have a hypothesis as to why we've seen 3 of the 4 longest streaks so recently? Has something changed? Yes, I recognize that it used to be that you could only be on 5 shows and then you'd be done, but that rule changed quite some time ago. Seems odd that we are suddenly getting 3 20+ game winners when it was so rare before.

  8. #488
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Forest Hills, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Thanks for sharing - I have been watching a fair amount but missed this one. The phrase "I was a fat schoolboy" sounds like the opening phrase of one of the most famous songs by the group who everyone guessed. That being said, I am pretty sure they are both Jewish, so they did not come to mind for me due to the church reference. Though I'm not sure who I would have guessed, so I might have ended up with the popular choice. I agree that it is very misleading.

    I have enjoyed Amy's run and home she continues to succeed. Her knowledge across a very wide array of topics is very impressive, and she seems to be both enjoying herself and humble.
    Two points:

    1. I also had it right.

    2. Yes, they are both Jewish boys from Queens. Went to Forest Hills High School, like the Ramones (nice juxtaposition of styles). Also where Ernie Grunfeld went.

  9. #489
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chesapeake, VA.
    I thought it was either Lennon and McCartney or Keith Richards and Mick Jagger. Given the emphasis on being drunk at presumably a young age, I went with Richards and Jagger.

  10. #490
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Does anyone have a hypothesis as to why we've seen 3 of the 4 longest streaks so recently? Has something changed? Yes, I recognize that it used to be that you could only be on 5 shows and then you'd be done, but that rule changed quite some time ago. Seems odd that we are suddenly getting 3 20+ game winners when it was so rare before.
    Could be that the pool of potential contestants has been smaller due to COVID. Therefore, possibly, less competition once a good person gets on there.

  11. #491
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    Could be that the pool of potential contestants has been smaller due to COVID. Therefore, possibly, less competition once a good person gets on there.
    it's probably something along those lines, though I always wonder if the producers are doing a wee bit of manipulation. Winning streaks have to be good for ratings, and I suspect the producers have a pretty good idea of who is apt to be a competitive challenger....

  12. #492
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Winning streaks have to be good for ratings...
    I truly don't get it. I am finding the Schneider matches boring in the extreme, because there is just no drama at all in the games. I can only think of maybe two times where there was even a mathematical possibility of her losing in FJ, and those I think were still pretty lopsided. I have nothing against Amy, she is far more likable than Holzhauer or Amodio, but she just does not make for compelling TV for me.

    I seem to be a contrarian in many things, and I guess I'll just count this as one of those things. When Jeopardy announced they were eliminating the 5-day appearance limit, I was not at all happy. My disapproval at the time has been borne out so far in the long run. I guess my enjoyment of Jeopardy is in sync with my enjoyment of sports in general: I dislike long-term domination and I like competitive action and revolving champions. Yankees, Dodgers, Cowboys, Celtics, Red Wings, Red Devils ... I have hated them all at various times. In this case, I don't really hate Amy ... I hate the system that has allowed her to showcase her talents for such a long time. (Holzhauer, on the other hand, ...)

    But then again, I am a Pollyanna (as one such DBR poster called me some time ago, for wanting college sports to be more collegiate and less professional).

  13. #493
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by 75Crazie View Post
    I truly don't get it. I am finding the Schneider matches boring in the extreme, because there is just no drama at all in the games. I can only think of maybe two times where there was even a mathematical possibility of her losing in FJ, and those I think were still pretty lopsided. I have nothing against Amy, she is far more likable than Holzhauer or Amodio, but she just does not make for compelling TV for me.

    I seem to be a contrarian in many things, and I guess I'll just count this as one of those things. When Jeopardy announced they were eliminating the 5-day appearance limit, I was not at all happy. My disapproval at the time has been borne out so far in the long run. I guess my enjoyment of Jeopardy is in sync with my enjoyment of sports in general: I dislike long-term domination and I like competitive action and revolving champions. Yankees, Dodgers, Cowboys, Celtics, Red Wings, Red Devils ... I have hated them all at various times. In this case, I don't really hate Amy ... I hate the system that has allowed her to showcase her talents for such a long time. (Holzhauer, on the other hand, ...)

    But then again, I am a Pollyanna (as one such DBR poster called me some time ago, for wanting college sports to be more collegiate and less professional).
    I don't like the long-timers, either. Very boring. Time to move on to the next!

  14. #494
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington, D.C.

    I beg to differ

    Amy is a little boring, but I enjoy seeing players at the top of their game. To me, Jennings, Rutter, Holzhauer, Amodio, and Schneider (and others) are so impressive.

  15. #495
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chesapeake, VA.
    I liked watching Matt. Amy is ok. Obviously very sharp and with no obvious weaknesses.
    I don't think shutting people down at five days is the answer, but I do think stepping up the competition when somebody is on a long streak just makes sense, so there might be more drama.
    As for why so many long-term winners, I don't really know. It takes either a really strong player or a fluke to dethrone a long-term champ. Maybe it is as simple as that. Strong players beget strong players, maybe?

  16. #496
    Amy has a great twitter where she analyzes each of her games.

    https://twitter.com/Jeopardamy/statu...12146666455040

    I enjoy reading them almost as much as watching her play.
    ~rthomas

  17. #497
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    I thought it was either Lennon and McCartney or Keith Richards and Mick Jagger. Given the emphasis on being drunk at presumably a young age, I went with Richards and Jagger.
    I hadn't considered Richards and Jagger, who are as much of a "pair" as Lennon and McCartney, and also a better fit for the clue.

    Some people here answered it correctly. What was the rationale? Knew their personal history? Or, when in doubt, go with the Beatles?

    Look, the clue is bad. Poor writing job from the Jeopardy! staff. If all three contestants come up with the same wrong answer, it should prompt some sort of internal review. Not with serious consequences or anything, just a "What happened here and how can we prevent it from happening again?" kind of meeting.

    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Winning streaks have to be good for ratings, and I suspect the producers have a pretty good idea of who is apt to be a competitive challenger...
    There were many, many "happy-to-be-here" contestants during Matt Amodio's run. They come in all shapes and sizes, but you know the type: never quite settle in, never risk much, never actually play the role of challenger. I'm sure these are all uniformly smart contestants, but the producers probably have a knack of knowing who will tend to wilt or shrink in a TV taping.

    The producers are building toward the 30th Tournament of Champions, and in the absence of a permanent host, they will certainly hype it as the most massive ever. (The official site and The Jeopardy! Fan each have a ToC tracker.) It's crazy to see that a 6-time champion, two 5-time champions, and Steve Martin (sort of) will get none of the five top seeds on the opening week.

  18. #498
    Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    Ken has grown on me over the past week or so. Now like him. A lot.

    Tough following a Wooden, a Lombardi...or a K.
    Put me in this camp. Ken is good - he is able to be himself, knows his stuff, likes to joke and ad lib a bit with the contestants. And he has some of that soothing consistency that Alex brought to the show. A decade or two of Ken sounds fine.

  19. #499
    Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    ...
    As for why so many long-term winners, I don't really know. It takes either a really strong player or a fluke to dethrone a long-term champ. Maybe it is as simple as that. Strong players beget strong players, maybe?
    Also if a strong players is able to win a couple games everything should progressively get easier for them. They are surely more relaxed and most importantly they are perfecting their buzzer timing as they go along. Current champ Amy mentioned in her twitter feed (that rthomas linked above) that it was harder for later afternoon taping contestants because they all get their buzzer practice at the beginning of the day. If going a few hours w/o practice matters, you can imagine how much of an advantage it is for the longer term winners, who get several hours/day of real game practice as they go along their run.

  20. #500
    Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    Amy has a great twitter where she analyzes each of her games.

    https://twitter.com/Jeopardamy/statu...12146666455040

    I enjoy reading them almost as much as watching her play.
    I would like to simultaneously thank you and put you in my doghouse - I've just now started reading her past tweets and they make me both glad you pointed them out and mad you didn't tell me about her feed earlier!

    But seriously she does a great job of talking about her thought processes and sources of information, the progression of each game and a bit about the other contestants, all the while being gracious and entertaining in the process. If she continues to win I will be definitely reading here tweets after each show. Thanks for the link!

Similar Threads

  1. Jeopardy
    By SoCalDukeFan in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 325
    Last Post: 12-04-2020, 02:13 PM
  2. Double Jeopardy?
    By Jeffrey in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 10-30-2019, 12:32 PM
  3. Anybody watching Jeopardy?
    By weezie in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 77
    Last Post: 04-22-2019, 09:36 PM
  4. Swahili Category in Jeopardy
    By Neals384 in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-24-2018, 10:43 PM
  5. Final Jeopardy
    By madscavenger in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-03-2015, 07:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •