Page 21 of 55 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMeDoIt View Post
    Apples to oranges. I already said in blackjack you simply play the odds, no guessing involved. But humans making decisions are not cards or dice. We see people make incorrect betting decisions all the time on Jeopardy. I get your point, but the winner misplayed and deserved to lose. And back to the topic, Sports Legends, an obviously easy topic unless you know nothing about sports or in this case linguistics. Sometimes you can make a reasoned assumption that folks are going to get the right answer, so you should go all in. I know neither of us convinced the other, just like whether you go for it on 4th and 1. But you can probably guess what I would do as a coach.
    A few thoughts...

1) It is possible that the Category of Sports Legends seems pretty easy to a person who posts on a sports-related forum, but may not look easy to everybody. In fact, to some it may have even seemed like an intimidating category.
    2) I agree with the other poster that the rationality of any choice we make, in sports or in games or in life in general, is not and should not be related to its eventual outcome. Generally speaking, people do not know the outcome at the time they make the decision.
    3) Going for it on fourth and one is a lot different when you are on your own 12-yard line than it is when you are at midfield.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    A few thoughts...

1) It is possible that the Category of Sports Legends seems pretty easy to a person who posts on a sports-related forum, but may not look easy to everybody. In fact, to some it may have even seemed like an intimidating category.
    2) I agree with the other poster that the rationality of any choice we make, in sports or in games or in life in general, is not and should not be related to its eventual outcome. Generally speaking, people do not know the outcome at the time they make the decision.
    3) Going for it on fourth and one is a lot different when you are on your own 12-yard line than it is when you are at midfield.
    A discussion I have with my students in my professional ethics class.

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    Haha - you get it exactly!
    Getting it is one thing.

Applying it, however, is my downfall.

“Everybody’s gambling and drinking that wine
    I can tell the Queen of Diamonds by the way she shines
    Come to Daddy on an inside straight
    ‘Cause I got no chance of losing
    This time . . . “

- Robert Hunter

Jonathan wins again, not because he was so great, but because Erin’s wagering on the two DD’s she got was unfathomably timid. She didn’t understand the strategic aspect of the game at all.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Jonathan wins again, not because he was so great, but because Erin’s wagering on the two DD’s she got was unfathomably timid. She didn’t understand the strategic aspect of the game at all.
    How do these smart people not notice that all the recent big winners are very aggressive DD bettors? I don’t get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    How do these smart people not notice that all the recent big winners are very aggressive DD bettors? I don’t get it.
    And not only that. How could they fail to have noticed Matt's winning strategy which was to go after the high value clues first, get a lead from those, and then inevitably find the DD's so that when you get those, bet aggressively, and hit, you have now created separation, often major separation, very early on from the pack. If you happen to miss it, and drop down, there's still plenty of time to rebuild and win. Seems kinda obvious now . . .

And not only that. How could they fail to have noticed Matt's winning strategy which was to go after the high value clues first, get a lead from those, and then inevitably find the DD's so that when you get those, bet aggressively, and hit, you have now created separation, often major separation, very early on from the pack. If you happen to miss it, and drop down, there's still plenty of time to rebuild and win. Seems kinda obvious now . . .
    That was actually James Holzhauer's strategy first. People like Matt jumped on it, too.

Winners win and losers lose. Simple as that. Make winning plays to win. A prevent defense almost always loses. Just like in football. See Throatie’s HPR for the appropriate number!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Well, kinda sorta. She actually uncovered the DD in the first round, and, although she did not go 'all in,' she did bet fairly aggressively. Problem is that she missed it.
    My theory is that if she had hit that one, she probably would've gone in big on her DD in the second round, which would have given her a chance. Once bitten, twice shy, as they say.

On an unrelated note, Jonathan somehow seems like the least impressive 10-day winner I've ever seen. He doesn't seem to have anywhere near the breadth of knowledge that most multiple-week winners have. He has some really strong areas, notably literature and film/tv/Broadway, but to me he seems eminently beatable, even though he keeps winning. He is very quick on the buzzer, for sure.
    When he pulled off the upset over Matt, I would've set the over-under for his win total at 4.5. Clearly I underestimated him. Perhaps I am still doing so.

Defenestration

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    Did I imagine it, or was one of the questions last night What is DEFENESTRATION?
    Having been the one who brought "defenestrate" to the "words you like" thread, I was thrilled to see this wind up in a Jeopardy episode. I'm late to the rest of the thread, because we tape it and watch when we can. Lately, rasputin hasn't watched as much as he'd like because he's been grading papers.

Friday's Final Jeopardy was interesting. The category was 1970s Top 40 Hits and the clue was Seeing a poster for a production of “Cyrano de Bergerac” in a seedy Paris hotel & ladies of the evening nearby inspired this hit

I put together a pretty good response that fit the clue well, only to see that the correct response fit the clue slightly better. But it's like finding a second anagram from a string of letters -- once you see one, it's hard to think of another.

Without clicking the link, can you think of both songs?

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Friday's Final Jeopardy was interesting. The category was 1970s Top 40 Hits and the clue was Seeing a poster for a production of “Cyrano de Bergerac” in a seedy Paris hotel & ladies of the evening nearby inspired this hit

I put together a pretty good response that fit the clue well, only to see that the correct response fit the clue slightly better. But it's like finding a second anagram from a string of letters -- once you see one, it's hard to think of another.

Without clicking the link, can you think of both songs?
    Thanks for sharing - that's a fun one. The first song that came to mind for me was Lady Marmalade (the original version that was released in the 70s) though on second thought there is an early reference to New Orleans in the song. But the theme and timing otherwise fits the bill.

I clicked the link and I would have thought the correct answer was released in the very early 80s, so it wouldn't have come to mind, but apparently it was 1978. The Cyrano reference is key to the clue and I am not really familiar with the play.

Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    On an unrelated note, Jonathan somehow seems like the least impressive 10-day winner I've ever seen. He doesn't seem to have anywhere near the breadth of knowledge that most multiple-week winners have. He has some really strong areas, notably literature and film/tv/Broadway, but to me he seems eminently beatable, even though he keeps winning. He is very quick on the buzzer, for sure.
    When he pulled off the upset over Matt, I would've set the over-under for his win total at 4.5. Clearly I underestimated him. Perhaps I am still doing so.
    I feel the same way, but maybe it is because he is following Matt Amodio. I was impressed that he knew the song that has the phone number 867-5309, however, and that has increased my regard for him.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    I feel the same way, but maybe it is because he is following Matt Amodio. I was impressed that he knew the song that has the phone number 867-5309, however, and that has increased my regard for him.
    Does anyone *not* know that song? 😉

Great driving/singalong song

Well

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post

Everyone should know that song, no doubt, but it was released nearly 40 years ago. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/867-5309/Jenny
    I bet not many people under 40 know it.

Agreed - I am an obsessed fan of 80s music so that is an easy one for me, and now on the rare occasion when we are in a car I subject my children to it.

I just looked that song up and can honestly say that I don't remember ever having heard that song. I know a lot of music but not a lot of pounding loud guitar music with barely understandable lyrics. 🥺

Everyone should know that song, no doubt, but it was released nearly 40 years ago. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/867-5309/Jenny
    I bet not many people under 40 know it.
    Picking nits, but I would amend this to under 30. That song was still in pretty heavy rotation in the 90s and early 2000s (and was available in the widely popular game Rock Band, who's initial target audience is in their early to mid 30s now).

I concur

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Picking nits, but I would amend this to under 30. That song was still in pretty heavy rotation in the 90s and early 2000s (and was available in the widely popular game Rock Band, who's initial target audience is in their early to mid 30s now).
    You know, I thought about going with 30, since my kids were unaware of the song a few years ago, when they were in their early 20s.

They also didn't know what I meant when driving in Arizona, and we saw a highway sign for Winslow, and I asked if we could go to Winslow so I could stand on the corner. That was a Jeopardy clue a few years ago.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    I thought the phone number was PEnnsylvania 6-5000.