Page 2 of 55 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
    Mike Richards in Advanced Negotiations to Become Permanent Host of ‘Jeopardy!’ (EXCLUSIVE)

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/mik...ek-1235034673/

Tonight's game was really interesting.

I didn't like Mike Richards much.

Mike Richards is not my preference, but he's the safest, least offensive choice. He's a game show lifer who probably had the inside track this whole time. This is a decision that knows its audience: viewers of Jeopardy! and Wheel of Fortune, on average, are among the oldest who watch TV (65+, according to Programming Insider in November 2020).

He probably wasn't anyone's favorite, but he also wasn't anyone's least favorite. The "I'm never watching Jeopardy! again" crowd is probably the smallest with this outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Tonight's game was really interesting.

I didn't like Mike Richards much.
    It came very close to Matt being on stage by himself at the end - the other two were negative pretty close to the end. Tough final Jeopardy question - all three answers were very logical. Matt went on a huge roll - very impressive. The What instead of Who still annoys me. But I appreciated him showing a good sense of humor in the interview portion - nice to see him lighten up, laugh and have some fun.

I liked Mike Richards and I'm fine with him. I haven't seen everyone but I thought he was among the best of the ones I saw. The current guy actually is somewhat similar to him.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    It came very close to Matt being on stage by himself at the end - the other two were negative pretty close to the end. Tough final Jeopardy question - all three answers were very logical. Matt went on a huge roll - very impressive. The What instead of Who still annoys me. But I appreciated him showing a good sense of humor in the interview portion - nice to see him lighten up, laugh and have some fun.

I liked Mike Richards and I'm fine with him. I haven't seen everyone but I thought he was among the best of the ones I saw. The current guy actually is somewhat similar to him.
    yes, they're both good without trying too hard (I'm looking at you, LeVar).

Yep

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Mike Richards is not my preference, but he's the safest, least offensive choice. He's a game show lifer who probably had the inside track this whole time. This is a decision that knows its audience: viewers of Jeopardy! and Wheel of Fortune, on average, are among the oldest who watch TV (65+, according to Programming Insider in November 2020).

He probably wasn't anyone's favorite, but he also wasn't anyone's least favorite. The "I'm never watching Jeopardy! again" crowd is probably the smallest with this outcome.
    He was low on my list, but I'm not surprised. He also might be less expensive than some of the other candidates.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    He was low on my list, but I'm not surprised. He also might be less expensive than some of the other candidates.
    Especially if he continues as producer and host for one salary. That might be important if ratings slide.

After Friday's victory, Matt's winnings are above $400K, and he is now fifth all time in money!
    Fourth place is currently held by Julia Collins, whose total winnings were $428
    K, so unless he loses on Monday, he will likely move up to fourth all time, behind only Jennings, Rutter, and Holzhauer. That's some Jeopardy royalty right there!
    Last edited by rsvman; 08-07-2021 at 05:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    After Friday's victory, Matt's winnings are above $400K, and he is now fifth all time in money!
    Fourth place is currently held by Julia Collins, whose total winnings were $428
    K, so unless he loses on Monday, he will likely move up to fourth all time, behind only Jennings, Rutter, and Holzhauer. That's some Jeopardy royalty right there!
    I know David Faber said on Friday that Matt Amodio moved to 5th on the list, but he didn't indicate who was above him. On Thursday, when Matt was 8th on the list, David gave the proviso that the list was for the contestant's original run only, not including later tournaments. That would eliminate Brad Rutter, who could only be a 5-time champion when he was on the show. (He won $55,102.) So I looked and figured out the list.

Name Winnings Episodes
    Ken Jennings $2,522,700 75
    James Holzhauer $2,464,216 33
    Jason Zuffranieri $534,496 20
    David Madden $432,400 20
    Matt Amodio $430,200 13* (active)
    Julia Collins $429,100 21
    Matt Jackson $413,612 14
    Austin Rogers $413,000 13

The Richards Express may have hit a speed bump, some stuff (seemingly not dreadful, but not good) from his past. Lots of scrutiny these days...

I thought

David Faber was the best so far., Ken Jennings very good also.,

Was not that high on the so called favorite.

SoCal

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post

SoCal
    Yep, Faber was flawless. His on-air persona is better than Richards. Seemed more genuine to me. Of course, I thought several hosts were better than Richards.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post

SoCal
    I liked all three and would be fine with any of them, but would probably agree with Faber 1st, Ken 2nd. I was not nearly as high on Aaron Rodgers as most others seem to be. He wasn't horrible, but a lot of others were better. Is it confirmed that Faber would want the job if it was offered to him? I know he is an east coast guy.

What has particularly impressed me was how Faber managed being host with Matt as champ. I think it is extra challenging to host with such a dominant player as the outcome was often decided halfway through the show yet he tried hard to keep it interesting.

Jeopardy James weighs in

James Holzhauer on the new host:

"Jeopardy says whoever hosts full time will have to quit their other job, so I’m crossing my fingers it’s Joe Buck"

https://twitter.com/James_Holzhauer/...098001408?s=20

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    James Holzhauer on the new host:

"Jeopardy says whoever hosts full time will have to quit their other job, so I’m crossing my fingers it’s Joe Buck"

https://twitter.com/James_Holzhauer/...098001408?s=20
    LOL, so true. I detest Joe Buck as a sports announcer (he is especially bad, IMHO, on the golf telecasts) but I would probably never watch Jeopardy again, if he were the host.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    I know David Faber said on Friday that Matt Amodio moved to 5th on the list, but he didn't indicate who was above him. On Thursday, when Matt was 8th on the list, David gave the proviso that the list was for the contestant's original run only, not including later tournaments. That would eliminate Brad Rutter, who could only be a 5-time champion when he was on the show. (He won $55,102.) So I looked and figured out the list.

Name Winnings Episodes
    Ken Jennings $2,522,700 75
    James Holzhauer $2,464,216 33
    Jason Zuffranieri $534,496 20
    David Madden $432,400 20
    Matt Amodio $430,200 13* (active)
    Julia Collins $429,100 21
    Matt Jackson $413,612 14
    Austin Rogers $413,000 13
    Matt now 4th at $440k, even though he kissed away $68,000 with a mind-freeze on Final J. The clue said Spanish, dude!

Quote Originally Posted by Neals384 View Post
    Matt now 4th at $440k, even though he kissed away $68,000 with a mind-freeze on Final J. The clue said Spanish, dude!
    No, the clue said 16th century man with a crew from Europe..also, Magellan is a portugoose, even though he worked for the Spanish...I only got it because I only know a few penguin species...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    No, the clue said 16th century man with a crew from Europe..also, Magellan is a portugoose, even though he worked for the Spanish...I only got it because I only know a few penguin species...
    Yep, I got it, too! But what an idiot to risk so much when he didn't have to!

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    Yep, I got it, too! But what an idiot to risk so much when he didn't have to!
    he's had some impressive holzhauerian bets, would've been a big payday had he known his penguins...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    he's had some impressive holzhauerian bets, would've been a big payday had he known his penguins...
    I thought he'd bet that. Would have given him the win even if he got it wrong, and the person in second doubled up. As you note, he does go big...