Page 16 of 55 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Ha! Pretty amusing, but to fenestrate means to put a window into something, or to make a window or opening in something.
    So, defenestrate is to put something in a window, or to make something go into a window or opening?

Works for me!

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    So, defenestrate is to put something in a window, or to make something go into a window or opening?

Works for me!
    Based on the meaning I just learned for fenestrate, defenestrate sounds like its all about destroying or damaging the window; it cares not a whit about said object.

Btw I also thought of this board when the Jeopardy clue came up. I was raising my hand - I know, I know!

Oh, and by the way, he passed a million dollars in winnings on tonight's show.
    Darn - I was about to watch on tape delay. Not your fault obv - this is a thread where people want to talk the day of. I will just up my discipline - watch then read!

Skydog, sorry! I thought everybody knew this thread was a major spoiler. Maybe we need to put spoiler alert in the title?

Still worth watching. The end result was not at all obvious by watching the first round.

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    Based on the meaning I just learned for fenestrate, defenestrate sounds like its all about destroying or damaging the window; it cares not a whit about said object.

Btw I also thought of this board when the Jeopardy clue came up. I was raising my hand - I know, I know!
    Ditto! I don't think I would have thought of the answer as quickly, or at all, if not for DBR.

Matt was just a machine tonight, absolutely mowing down some decent-seeming opponents and ending with $70,000. The breadth of knowledge that he has in the front of his brain is truly amazing, and appears moreso every day.

Another win tonight - 31 tying James. Over $1.2 M.

Another runaway.

Wow.

He will break Holzhauer's number of wins but it is a tall order to break his money total. He might have to win 60 or more in a row to catch James.

He will break Holzhauer's number of wins but it is a tall order to break his money total. He might have to win 60 or more in a row to catch James.
    Yep. At 32 wins, Matt ($1.21 mil) is just under half of Holzhauer's total winnings ($2.46 mil). In turn, Holzhauer $2.46 mil total was JUST below what Ken Jennings earned in 74 wins ($2.52 mil)

This really speaks how aggressive Holzhauer was with his betting. Matt shares the strategy of Daily Double hunting by choosing high value clues first and going all-in on DDs in regular Jeopardy. But in Double Jeopardy, Holzhauer still went all-in on nearly all DDs. His goal appeared to be to win with as much money as possible. While Matt Amodio, by betting aggressively (but not all-in) on the Double Jeopardy DDs, appears to want to ensure a runaway. Limits his top-end earning potential but also limits his risk of losing.
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

As expected, it was another rout.
    They hid the first round Daily Double exactly where they knew Matt would look first: as the thousand dollar clue under a history category. That severely limited his chances to make big bank in the Jeopardy round. He also missed on one of the Daily Doubles in the second round and lost 5K.
    Despite all that he somehow managed to amass about 55K and won easily. Now has the second-longest win streak in Jeopardy history.

And, I believe, the third largest $$$ win total.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Correct

I find Matt to be a likeable, modest champion.

Several times when Matt gets a big lead, I think he takes a rest...he didn't bother answering a few easy questions, stuff I think he had to know, after someone else was wrong. Probably thinking about how much money he now has.

I find Matt to be a likeable, modest champion.
    I agree with this. I like him a lot better than I liked James. I hope he continues to win for a bit longer.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Now has the second-longest win streak in Jeopardy history.
    Here's an updated table. Probably out of popular demand from people who don't visit DBR, The Jeopardy! Fan now has a list of the top 10 money winners in regular play (where Matt is currently 3rd) and the top 15 money winners all-time including tournaments (where Brad Rutter is 1st and Matt is currently 4th). So I've added 9th place Arthur Chu and 10th place Seth Wilson. But that page's regular play numbers are wrong because they don't include the $2,000 or $1,000 that the contestant makes when he or she finally loses. The correct totals are below.

Name Winnings Episodes
    Ken Jennings $2,522,700 75
    James Holzhauer $2,464,216 33
    Matt Amodio $1,267,801 34* (active)
    Jason Zuffranieri $534,496 20
    David Madden $432,400 20
    Julia Collins $429,100 21
    Matt Jackson $413,612 14
    Austin Rogers $413,000 13
    Arthur Chu $298,200 12
    Seth Wilson $267,002 13

Blitzkrieg tonight, largest one-day total he has had.

Inexplicably, nobody knew what a Scotch egg was? Baffling.

Blitzkrieg tonight, largest one-day total he has had.

Inexplicably, nobody knew what a Scotch egg was? Baffling.
    Well, it's pretty gross.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Well, it's pretty gross.
    Dissent!

I've never heard of it before but it looks delicious.