Page 35 of 56 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast
    But they also edit for time. It could be that she did explain the correct answer but it was edited out. Not a good choice if that was the case, but a possible explanation.

I've noticed a fair number of what I would call "strange" pauses at times in Mayim's acceptance or rejection of responses. I'm sure at least some of them might be her sense of timing, or mental determination of the correctness of the response. But it is possible that some of them might be due to some sort of editing of the show.

I did notice the "Roy/Ray" episode the other night, and my other half and I agreed that there should have been some sort of explanation; it was definitely awkward. It doesn't change my attitude about Mayim as "acceptable" in the host role ... but I do feel that Ken would have said something at that time and is in general a more natural host. I guess I'm not convinced as yet that he really wants that full-time role.

I can’t imagine Ken not wanting the job. First of all - he tried out. Secondly, how many months does a host have to work? I think they shoot five episodes or so per day so it can’t be too many. Finally Ken has to realize that he could be the host for a few years and the fame accrued would open doors and increase his marketability and pay for any TV jobs in his future. It just seems like a win/win to be host of Jeopardy.

I kept waiting for duke74 to be an answer in the Queens category tonight but no such luck!

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I kept waiting for duke74 to be an answer in the Queens category tonight but no such luck!
    Me too. But at least I knew all the answers. Ran the category.

Since I know it is a thing for some at DBR, I would like to note that one of the answers tonight was "What is defenestration?"

I like the current champion Ryan. Very humble, normal guy. Sometimes it is hard to hear him say "what is" before his answer but I'm sure he is saying it.

I would certainly want him by my side as I navigate the current streets of NYC, or the subway system. Big dude.

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    I would certainly want him by my side as I navigate the current streets of NYC, or the subway system. Big dude.
    glad they finally got him his glasses (which he had left behind) and evidently a few more shirts. I like his style.

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    He seems like a very kind, gentle guy, but I'm guessing he is capable of doing some serious defenestrating if he needed to.

Since I know it is a thing for some at DBR, I would like to note that one of the answers tonight was "What is defenestration?"
    Yes! And I immediately thought DBR!

Ryan had exactly double the amount of the second place contestant going into final Jeopardy. He bet $0, meaning that if the second place contestant got it right, they would have a tie, regardless of what he did. Which leads to a one question playoff which likely depends on buzzer speed. Risky move on his part that paid off since they all got it wrong. I had heard that the producers wouldn't let you do this and would only let a tie happen if the two contestants were tied going into final Jeopardy, but I guess that is incorrect.

I watch Jeopardy with my second grader, followed by Wheel of Fortune. It is a great father-son tradition and it is fun for me to see his mind work as he learns and starts to figure out more answers. Wheel was partially pre-empted by news updates from Texas so I had him leave the room as I didn't want him watching it right before bed (though he is aware of the situation).

Ryan had exactly double the amount of the second place contestant going into final Jeopardy. He bet $0, meaning that if the second place contestant got it right, they would have a tie, regardless of what he did. Which leads to a one question playoff which likely depends on buzzer speed. Risky move on his part that paid off since they all got it wrong. I had heard that the producers wouldn't let you do this and would only let a tie happen if the two contestants were tied going into final Jeopardy, but I guess that is incorrect.

I watch Jeopardy with my second grader, followed by Wheel of Fortune. It is a great father-son tradition and it is fun for me to see his mind work as he learns and starts to figure out more answers. Wheel was partially pre-empted by news updates from Texas so I had him leave the room as I didn't want him watching it right before bed (though he is aware of the situation).
    Up until a few years ago, they would allow two winners. So his bet was the best way to go, guarantee you would come back. Now they have a quick tie-breaker. If you buzz in first and get it right, you win. If you buzz in first and get it wrong, you lose, no matter if the other person can correctly answer or not. So buzzer speed is important, but only if you know the answer.

I recall that the low man got it right and doubled up on his money.

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    The other night, when the correct Final Jeopardy question was "What is 1001 Arabian Nights?", was the second time in a couple months when I have come up with the right answer during the commercial BEFORE they gave the clue. The category was World Literature.

Does anyone else try this? I've been doing it for a long time, off and on, and other than those two times, I have been correct only one other time, years ago. Passes the time.
    Yes. Mrs. Turk started this in our house several years ago: "20th Century Americans" and as if by reflex she said, "Muhammad Ali" and it was correct. During Mattea's run, one category was "National Anthems" - a good category because that limits the answer set a lot. I got lucky with "O Canada". Other categories like "US Presidents" or "States" are tough because they often have multi-part answers. I can't remember the first time I did it, I would say [I]'ve hit maybe a handful of times. It's fun, but it is a little bit of a showboat move... Some times the category is rather obscure, and I have no shame in shrugging, and saying, " I gots nuthin'..."

Quote Originally Posted by Turk View Post
    Yes. Mrs. Turk started this in our house several years ago: "20th Century Americans" and as if by reflex she said, "Muhammad Ali" and it was correct. During Mattea's run, one category was "National Anthems" - a good category because that limits the answer set a lot. I got lucky with "O Canada". Other categories like "US Presidents" or "States" are tough because they often have multi-part answers. I can't remember the first time I did it, I would say [I]'ve hit maybe a handful of times. It's fun, but it is a little bit of a showboat move... Some times the category is rather obscure, and I have no shame in shrugging, and saying, " I gots nuthin'..."
    I guessed O Canada before the question was asked, too! And immediately thought, Surely they won't give her that! But, they did.

Opera: What's Puccini's Girl of the Golden West?

At the time, maybe 10 years ago, it was the only opera I had ever been to (it was a 6th grade class field trip). Now, I've been dragged to a couple more. One nice thing about the Covid lock down - I haven't had to go to an opera since 2019!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

who won last night? Local station had Lester Holt eating up the Jeopardy slot yesterday..

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    who won last night? Local station had Lester Holt eating up the Jeopardy slot yesterday..
    Returning champ. He was just out of reach at Final.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    Returning champ. He was just out of reach at Final.
    thanks. Those glasses are probably helping.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    If I recall he got the last question in double jeopardy right to make it a runaway. Final jeopardy was really easy (FDR’s day that shall live in infamy speech) but only the top two got it.