Page 36 of 55 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    If I recall he got the last question in double jeopardy right to make it a runaway. Final jeopardy was really easy (FDR’s day that shall live in infamy speech) but only the top two got it.
    thanks!

If I recall he got the last question in double jeopardy right to make it a runaway. Final jeopardy was really easy (FDR’s day that shall live in infamy speech) but only the top two got it.
    My wife and I both tried the "respond to the question before it is even revealed" thing for the first time last night. She said "Martin Luther King Jr" and I said "Berlin." Neither one of us was even close, lol. I will probably try this little game some more and see if I ever get one right. It's tough, because they can word the question so it asks almost anything. For example, in the category "National Anthems" they could be asking who wrote an anthem, or what the words are, or where it was written, or how it was changed from its original draft, or whatever.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Did the one who was wrong ask “what is September 7, 1941?”
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Did the one who was wrong ask “what is September 7, 1941?”
    The question was:

In a draft of FDR’s speech of December 8, 1941, the words “world history” were changed to this one word

Two of them knew it was "infamy." One thought it was "Democracy."

I knew the answer but ironically while watching the show, about five feet away from me I had a framed reproduced print of the NY Times cover from December 9, 1941 with the words to the speech on it as my dad was born December 9, 1941 so someone gave him that as a birthday gift once. The headline is "US Declares War" as Pearl Harbor was bombed the morning of December 7, Hawaii time so Congress did not actually declare war until the 8th, so it was in the newspaper on the 9th.

Ryan did not look great last night but managed to pull it out. He missed a few times on the odd silent letter category - first miss made sense as he didn't get what they wanted, but he still didn't pick up what he had to do so missed again (I don't recall if Mayim explained the category beforehand).

The question was:

In a draft of FDR’s speech of December 8, 1941, the words “world history” were changed to this one word

Two of them knew it was "infamy." One thought it was "Democracy."

I knew the answer but ironically while watching the show, about five feet away from me I had a framed reproduced print of the NY Times cover from December 9, 1941 with the words to the speech on it as my dad was born December 9, 1941 so someone gave him that as a birthday gift once. The headline is "US Declares War" as Pearl Harbor was bombed the morning of December 7, Hawaii time so Congress did not actually declare war until the 8th, so it was in the newspaper on the 9th.

Ryan did not look great last night but managed to pull it out. He missed a few times on the odd silent letter category - first miss made sense as he didn't get what they wanted, but he still didn't pick up what he had to do so missed again (I don't recall if Mayim explained the category beforehand).
    Here’s the speech:

https://www.ushistory.org/documents/infamy.htm

Here’s the video:

https://youtu.be/lK8gYGg0dkE

Current mega-champ Ryan Long may be the most low-key multiple-day winner I have ever seen. Today was his twelfth consecutive win, moving him into the too ten all time, if I am not mistaken.
    This season is crazy. I wonder whether Jeopardy has been allowing weaker players in (by loosening the requirements to be selected) in order to increase the odds of multiple winners. I am sure they are well aware that multiple winners tend to bring more viewers.
    Anyway, Ryan seems like a really nice guy. I hope he wins a few more.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Current mega-champ Ryan Long may be the most low-key multiple-day winner I have ever seen. Today was his twelfth consecutive win, moving him into the too ten all time, if I am not mistaken.
    Kind of? His 13th episode tomorrow puts him in a 3-way tie for 10th.

Name Episodes
    Ken Jennings 75
    Amy Schneider 41
    Matt Amodio 39
    James Holzhauer 33
    Mattea Roach 24
    Julia Collins 21
    David Madden 20
    Jason Zuffranieri 20
    Matt Jackson 14
    Seth Wilson 13
    Austin Rogers 13
    Ryan Long (active) 13
    Arthur Chu 12
    Jonathan Fisher 12

According to The Jeopardy! Fan, there are 3 players not on this list who have won more money in their initial runs than Ryan has, so I'm not posting a winnings table yet. He's in 17th place right now.

This season is crazy. I wonder whether Jeopardy has been allowing weaker players in (by loosening the requirements to be selected) in order to increase the odds of multiple winners. I am sure they are well aware that multiple winners tend to bring more viewers.
    I would agree. While some recent scores suggest that Ryan has been challenged, I haven't seen much gutsy play from his opponents. A lot of "Winning might be nice, but I really don't want to finish third" behavior from them. Ryan doesn't seem to like Daily Doubles very much, and doesn't pursue them. I like him in general, but he is ripe for an upset.

Agreed. I like him a lot. Very humble, down-to-earth guy who is clearly excited about the difference this money will make in his life. He does not dominate like some other recent big winners, but he goes on a few relatively quiet runs to pull away.

Please correct me if I am remembering this wrong, but they corrected an answer during the break so reversed the money the mosh pit teacher guy had taken away and gave him money for getting it right. If I recall, after he initially got it "wrong," the woman got it right and got money. Theoretically, when they reverse the decision on him, they should take away the money she earns, because if they had ruled correctly at first, she never would have had a chance to answer. However, I don't think this is how they do it.

I don't think anybody got the question right. After mosh pit guy missed, it was silence until Mayim said 'it's a chicken!'

I don't think anybody got the question right. After mosh pit guy missed, it was silence until Mayim said 'it's a chicken!'
    Gotcha. Thanks. But I think the way I described it is how they would handle such a situation - they reverse the negative and give the person credit for the correct answer, but do not take away from the other person who followed up with a correct answer.

Gotcha. Thanks. But I think the way I described it is how they would handle such a situation - they reverse the negative and give the person credit for the correct answer, but do not take away from the other person who followed up with a correct answer.
    That is my understanding as well. And I do agree with your logic as to how it should work.

I disagree, you should not take money away from a person giving a correct answer, regardless of the circumstances that allowed that answer to be given. It is an error on the show staff, but the person buzzing in with the correct answer should not subsequently be penalized. I can understand your contention, but I think the current rules err on the side of decency.

In that situation, they would not take away $ from the other player. If a player misses a question and another player misses, then they determine that the first player was actually correct, then they would RETURN the $ to the second player that buzzed in b/c had they called it correctly to begin with, the second player would not have had a miss.

As his initial run continues, Ryan Long is currently 9th in episodes (his 17th appearance is Monday) and 11th in winnings.

Name Episodes
    Ken Jennings 75
    Amy Schneider 41
    Matt Amodio 39
    James Holzhauer 33
    Mattea Roach 24
    Julia Collins 21
    David Madden 20
    Jason Zuffranieri 20
    Ryan Long (active) 17
    Matt Jackson 14
    Seth Wilson 13
    Austin Rogers 13
    Arthur Chu 12
    Jonathan Fisher 12

Name Winnings
    Ken Jennings $2,522,700
    James Holzhauer $2,464,216
    Matt Amodio $1,519,601
    Amy Schneider $1,384,800
    Mattea Roach $562,983
    Jason Zuffranieri $534,496
    David Madden $432,400
    Julia Collins $429,100
    Matt Jackson $413,612
    Austin Rogers $413,000
    Ryan Long (active) $299,400
    Arthur Chu $298,200
    Seth Wilson $267,002
    Jonathan Fisher $248,100

Hat tip as always to The Jeopardy! Fan and the J! Archive.

The last few games he really seemed poised to lose but somehow ended up winning anyway. He doesn't seem anywhere near as dominant as most of the people on that list, but he just keeps on winning.
    I think he will likely lose this week sometime. It seems like he is hanging on by a thread.

Ryan went out with a whimper tonight. He just couldn't seem to get in a groove and the other two players were pretty good. I came on at the end but it was too little, too late. I liked Ryan and he will be missed, but I am very happy for him - seems like this is life-changing money for him. And hopefully he can supplement that with some NIL events in Philly before the Tournament of Champions - I lived in Philly for a few years and used my less impressive trivia knowledge to win a few bar tabs at Tuesday night Quizzo, so I'm sure he can do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    As his initial run continues, Ryan Long is currently 9th in episodes (his 17th appearance is Monday) and 11th in winnings.
    And that's where he'll stay. The $1,000 he makes for finishing third place puts him over a significant milestone; his winnings over 17 episodes were $300,400. The Jeopardy! Fan will identify him as a 16-day champion who made $299,400, as if the day he lost didn't exist. The guy who runs that site has said that this policy keeps things consistent on behalf of old-time contestants who may have earned a different consolation amount on their losing day, and that information is not easily available. But as I see it, the Internal Revenue Service believes the 17th episode does exist, and considers Ryan to have earned an income of $300,400, so that's the correct number.

The J! Archive is a little more thorough on Ryan's contestant page, describing him as "16-time champion: $299,400 + $1,000."

Tables slightly updated below.

Name Episodes
    Ken Jennings 75
    Amy Schneider 41
    Matt Amodio 39
    James Holzhauer 33
    Mattea Roach 24
    Julia Collins 21
    David Madden 20
    Jason Zuffranieri 20
    Ryan Long 17
    Matt Jackson 14
    Seth Wilson 13
    Austin Rogers 13
    Arthur Chu 12
    Jonathan Fisher 12

Name Winnings
    Ken Jennings $2,522,700
    James Holzhauer $2,464,216
    Matt Amodio $1,519,601
    Amy Schneider $1,384,800
    Mattea Roach $562,983
    Jason Zuffranieri $534,496
    David Madden $432,400
    Julia Collins $429,100
    Matt Jackson $413,612
    Austin Rogers $413,000
    Ryan Long $300,400
    Arthur Chu $298,200
    Seth Wilson $267,002
    Jonathan Fisher $248,100

5 of these 14 will be in the same Tournament of Champions in November, presumably each a top seed/leftmost podium for the 5 quarterfinal matches. If that's the case, the two-seeds will be the College Tournament Champion, Professor's Tournament Champion, two 7-day champions, and a 6-day champion (who started his unusual run on June 9, 2020, back when Alex Trebek was alive and hosting). That's an insane field covering over 2 years, and it's still not set in stone.

To be clear, though, the amount the second- and third-place contestants earned in years past was precisely zero dollars. And it stayed that way for a very long time.

Anyone watch Jeopardy tonight? I turned it on near the end and was somewhat distracted. It seemed like the woman in the middle wrote enough that it was pretty clear what she meant and she got the right answer, but they ruled otherwise. I didn't do the math but I think that if she had it right she would have won? I am curious what others think.

I am fine with the woman who has won the last few nights but she has really had some close ones - I think she has won twice by $2 and won tonight on a technicality.

I also thought it was clear who she meant. I couldn't quite make out her writing, nor did I go back and check the math.

ETA: https://www.the-sun.com/wp-content/u...0741102681.jpg
    Last edited by BlueDevil2K; 06-17-2022 at 09:24 PM.