Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 179
  1. #81
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Wow... talk about contract mistakes.

    Denis Schroeder turned down an 4-year, $84 million extension from the Lakers. He was sure he could get more as a free agent. Well, all he has gotten so far is a 1-year, $5.9 mil offer from the Celtics to be their backup PG. Meanwhile, the Lakers have moved on and now have Westbrook. Schroeder is supposedly pushing Boston for more like $10 mil/season and to make it a 2 year deal... the Celtics don't appear to be willing to do that and, well, there just isn't much of a market out there for Schroeder at this point.

    Ouch... Schroeder is supposedly crying himself to sleep at night.

    -Jason "if anyone wants to pay me $20+ mil per year to do... well... just about anything, I ain't turning it down " Evans
    OTOH:

    1) He will be making $5.8+ mill more than the average American.
    2) He signed a 1-yr contract. Heís young and if heís truly exceptional and works hard, maybe he gets an even better contact in a year than Lakers originally offered. Just needs to stay positive.
    3)I could be dead wrong on #2😀

  2. #82
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hot'Lanta... home of the Falcons!
    Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    OTOH:

    1) He will be making $5.8+ mill more than the average American.
    2) He signed a 1-yr contract. Heís young and if heís truly exceptional and works hard, maybe he gets an even better contact in a year than Lakers originally offered. Just needs to stay positive.
    3) I could be dead wrong on #2😀
    I think the problem with #2 is how much of a chance he gets to show off in Boston. He might be the starter, but there is also a scenario where Smart starts at PG and Schoeder leads the second unit. Ain't no NBA team gonna be willing to pay $10+ mil to a second unit guy who is pushing 30.

    I'm no Boston expert but I suspect a lot depends on whether they go with Horford and Robert Williams on the front line -- moving Tatum to SF, Brown to 2G, and Smart to PG -- or if they play a little bit smaller with Tatum at the 4, which would move everyone down a slot and put Smart in the 2G role with Schroeder at PG. There could also be a scenario where Josh Richardson gets the nod at 2G with Smart as the PG and Schroeder on the 2nd team.

    All that said, I think you are largely correct that Schroeder should be able to parlay this one year into a more lucrative contract next summer... but if the Celtics offer him a nice extension at $15+ mil per season at some point, I suspect he won't be so quick to say no to it.
    I don't know what you are doing right now, but if you aren't listening to the DBR Podcast, you're doing it wrong.

  3. #83
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    No details yet on the contract but it is not impossible that he got a little bit more than the NBA minimum after a really strong season in which he was grossly underpaid as a two-way player. Given his 4 years in the league, the minimum is worth like $1.8 mil per season, but I would not be shocked if Detroit, a team that is nowhere near the luxury tax, might have given Frank a little bit more (maybe like $2 mil and $2.5 mil in the second season).

    Anyone wanna guess the highest paid player on the Pistons this coming year? Dude is gonna make close to $30 mil from the team, $10 mil more than anyone else.
    Reports are that Frank's deal is 3 million guaranteed for the first season and then 3.15 million team option for the second season.

    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Wow... talk about contract mistakes.

    Denis Schroeder turned down an 4-year, $84 million extension from the Lakers. He was sure he could get more as a free agent. Well, all he has gotten so far is a 1-year, $5.9 mil offer from the Celtics to be their backup PG. Meanwhile, the Lakers have moved on and now have Westbrook. Schroeder is supposedly pushing Boston for more like $10 mil/season and to make it a 2 year deal... the Celtics don't appear to be willing to do that and, well, there just isn't much of a market out there for Schroeder at this point.

    Ouch... Schroeder is supposedly crying himself to sleep at night.

    -Jason "if anyone wants to pay me $20+ mil per year to do... well... just about anything, I ain't turning it down " Evans
    I am still not sure if it was worse that they offered that or worse that he declined.

    What if Michael Jordan offers to pay you that much to replace your signature quotes with pro-UNC messages?

  4. #84
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hot'Lanta... home of the Falcons!
    Quote Originally Posted by awhom111 View Post
    Reports are that Frank's deal is 3 million guaranteed for the first season and then 3.15 million team option for the second season.
    Well, that's even more than I had speculated. Great news for Frank. We just need to see how much of a chance the Pistons give him to play. With Cade Cunningham coming in, that is going to steal some of the backcourt minutes. If Frank plays, he has shown he can score... but how much he plays is an open question. Still, $3 mil is his biggest payday yet in the NBA and a big step up from the less than $500k he made a year ago as a 2-way player.

    Quote Originally Posted by awhom111 View Post
    What if Michael Jordan offers to pay you that much to replace your signature quotes with pro-UNC messages?
    I'd gladly take Mr. Jordan's $20 mil and say all kinds of kind things in my silly little sigs... and I would then use some of the money to buy a series of billboards and TV ads excoriating the Heels for their years of cheating. Oh, I would sleep quite nicely at night in that situation.

    -Jason "I'd probably hire some down on his luck Tarheel to be my 'roast cheating Carolina' spokesman... perhaps Ademola Okulaja or maybe Larry Drew II" Evans
    I don't know what you are doing right now, but if you aren't listening to the DBR Podcast, you're doing it wrong.

  5. #85
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I think the problem with #2 is how much of a chance he gets to show off in Boston. He might be the starter, but there is also a scenario where Smart starts at PG and Schoeder leads the second unit. Ain't no NBA team gonna be willing to pay $10+ mil to a second unit guy who is pushing 30.

    I'm no Boston expert but I suspect a lot depends on whether they go with Horford and Robert Williams on the front line -- moving Tatum to SF, Brown to 2G, and Smart to PG -- or if they play a little bit smaller with Tatum at the 4, which would move everyone down a slot and put Smart in the 2G role with Schroeder at PG. There could also be a scenario where Josh Richardson gets the nod at 2G with Smart as the PG and Schroeder on the 2nd team.

    All that said, I think you are largely correct that Schroeder should be able to parlay this one year into a more lucrative contract next summer... but if the Celtics offer him a nice extension at $15+ mil per season at some point, I suspect he won't be so quick to say no to it.
    I think Schroeder has shown that he is much more productive as a 3rd guard, either providing a different look with starters or leading a second unit, than he is as a starting PG. Will be interesting to see how the Celtics utilize him, but I canít imagine the market for Schroeder as a starting point guard is very deep at this stage of his career.

  6. #86
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hot'Lanta... home of the Falcons!
    Quote Originally Posted by luvdahops View Post
    I think Schroeder has shown that he is much more productive as a 3rd guard, either providing a different look with starters or leading a second unit, than he is as a starting PG. Will be interesting to see how the Celtics utilize him, but I canít imagine the market for Schroeder as a starting point guard is very deep at this stage of his career.
    100% agreed... and that is why turning down $84 mil was three shades of stupid.
    I don't know what you are doing right now, but if you aren't listening to the DBR Podcast, you're doing it wrong.

  7. #87
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    100% agreed... and that is why turning down $84 mil was three shades of stupid.
    he clearly misoverestimated his value.

  8. #88
    The Pacers pulled their qualifying offer from Cassius Stanley and he's now a free agent. I saw this very early this morning, and now can only find a pay link that I can't see, but I think it said the the offer was for 1.6 million. Hopefully this works out well for him.

  9. #89
    Quote Originally Posted by Owen Meany View Post
    The Pacers pulled their qualifying offer from Cassius Stanley and he's now a free agent. I saw this very early this morning, and now can only find a pay link that I can't see, but I think it said the the offer was for 1.6 million. Hopefully this works out well for him.
    I think I remember Cassius - he played at Duke for a full year, right? Maybe a photo embedded in the post would help.😕

  10. #90
    Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    I think I remember Cassius - he played at Duke for a full year, right? Maybe a photo embedded in the post would help.😕
    Just like "denial" ain't just a river in Egypt, brevity isn't just a poster on DBR.

  11. #91
    Quote Originally Posted by Owen Meany View Post
    The Pacers pulled their qualifying offer from Cassius Stanley and he's now a free agent. I saw this very early this morning, and now can only find a pay link that I can't see, but I think it said the the offer was for 1.6 million. Hopefully this works out well for him.
    Come on down to the Pelicans, Cassius. He would actually fit a need.

  12. #92
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hot'Lanta... home of the Falcons!
    Quote Originally Posted by Owen Meany View Post
    The Pacers pulled their qualifying offer from Cassius Stanley and he's now a free agent. I saw this very early this morning, and now can only find a pay link that I can't see, but I think it said the the offer was for 1.6 million. Hopefully this works out well for him.
    The Pacers let him go not because they were disappointed in his play but because they have to bring in a 3rd PG and they just do not have room for Cassius on a full contract. I am betting they would have happily kept him around on a 2-way, but he already told them he was not going to do that again and so they filled their 2-way slots. I would suspect that Cassius will get a 2-way or perhaps a minimum deal with some other team.
    I don't know what you are doing right now, but if you aren't listening to the DBR Podcast, you're doing it wrong.

  13. #93
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    The Pacers let him go not because they were disappointed in his play but because they have to bring in a 3rd PG and they just do not have room for Cassius on a full contract. I am betting they would have happily kept him around on a 2-way, but he already told them he was not going to do that again and so they filled their 2-way slots. I would suspect that Cassius will get a 2-way or perhaps a minimum deal with some other team.
    Yeah and Cassius has played well in Summer League, proving that heís better and a more mature player than a lot of other guys heís competing with for a contract. Somebodyís gonna offer him something decent.

  14. #94
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    This is a weird decision by the Pacers. The Indianapolis Star reporter tweets that Cassius Stanley is still invited to the Pacers training camp.

    Stanley, the 54th pick in the 2020 NBA draft, remains with the Pacers' Las Vegas summer league team as an unrestricted free agent who can be signed by any other team.

    The Pacers have extended Stanley a training camp invite, another league source told IndyStar early Saturday. He could choose to accept it, decline it and attend another team's camp on an invite or even find a deal with partial or full guarantees.
    Pacers draft pick Chris Duarte has played well in Summer League so far. By my calculations, he is averaging 18 ppg while shooting 45% from the field and 44% from 3-point range. Fun fact, though: the rookie is actually 2 years older than Cassius Stanley.

    Quote Originally Posted by Alan_Wilson View Post
    Come on down to the Pelicans, Cassius. He would actually fit a need.
    Oh, man. New Orleans would become Dunk City with Zion and Cassius together. It's a smart, exciting, inexpensive decision that makes sense for Pelicans management. So of course it won't happen.

    Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    Just like "denial" ain't just a river in Egypt, brevity isn't just a poster on DBR.
    On the contrary, I pretty much don't exist outside of DBR.

  15. #95
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Steamboat Springs, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    This is a weird decision by the Pacers. The Indianapolis Star reporter tweets that Cassius Stanley is still invited to the Pacers training camp.

    On the contrary, I pretty much don't exist outside of DBR.
    While "Brevity is the soul of wit," "Prolixity is the engine of public relations."
    Sage Grouse

    ---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

  16. #96
    Per the article from the front page re JJís plans in free-agency, he is going to bide his time, let the season start and then see what options are available, the main goal being signing on with a team that wins the championship. That being the case, I assume fit and situation are the overriding factors and that salary is not going to be the prime consideration.

    I donít know enough about the potential contenders to get a sense of where Redick might fit. What is the likelihood that it would be the Nets?
    Carolina delenda est

  17. #97
    Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Per the article from the front page re JJís plans in free-agency, he is going to bide his time, let the season start and then see what options are available, the main goal being signing on with a team that wins the championship. That being the case, I assume fit and situation are the overriding factors and that salary is not going to be the prime consideration.

    I donít know enough about the potential contenders to get a sense of where Redick might fit. What is the likelihood that it would be the Nets?
    I assume the Nets would be on the shortlist for JJ for several reasons. The only question is what sort of needs the Nets may have midseason.

  18. #98
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I assume the Nets would be on the shortlist for JJ for several reasons. The only question is what sort of needs the Nets may have midseason.
    Easy. Nets need warm bodies cus you know Kyrie, Durant, and/or Harden will be injured.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

    President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

  19. #99
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I assume the Nets would be on the shortlist for JJ for several reasons. The only question is what sort of needs the Nets may have midseason.
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Easy. Nets need warm bodies cus you know Kyrie, Durant, and/or Harden will be injured.
    This is my facile-NBA-watching-read of JJís comments. ďHey, Brooklyn. Iím available and I know you think youíre all set with three point shooting, but you also know that your Big 3 are not going to play an entire season or even close to it, so why donít we work out a deal?Ē

    Again, from my facile-NBA-watching, it sure seems like the Bucks and the Lakers need fire power from outside the arc more than Brooklyn.
    Carolina delenda est

  20. #100
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Marietta, Georgia
    Unpopular opinion - a second 5 of Lou Williams, Dino Gallinari, Deandre Hunter, Okongwu and JJ would be pretty damn formidable for the Hawks

Similar Threads

  1. NBA Free Agency
    By pfrduke in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 201
    Last Post: 08-05-2015, 01:43 PM
  2. NBA Free Agency 2014
    By pfrduke in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 854
    Last Post: 08-18-2014, 10:20 PM
  3. Duke Free Agency
    By johnb in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-25-2014, 04:31 PM
  4. NBA Free Agency 2010
    By MisterRoddy in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 273
    Last Post: 01-05-2011, 06:01 PM
  5. K's influence on free agency
    By FanFair in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-06-2010, 12:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •