Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    I think the Sixers should only trade Simmons if it improves the team... based on his true value. I'm not sure that is possible now and that is on Simmons. So he should play for the Sixers or sit.

Any leniency from the Philly fans is probably gone now... they don't like prima donnas. If he cannot or will not put in the work to improve his shooting, then again, that's on him.

Perhaps a good comparison for the Ben Simmons situation is the plight of Carson Wentz, the former Eagles QB who had a disastrous 2020 season and was essentially run out of town by the fans and press. The Eagles got only a third round pick and a conditional second round pick from the Colts for the former MVP candidate who was the 2nd overall pick in the 2016 NFL draft.

Wentz appeared to be cooperative and team-oriented through his late-season benching, but after the last game he started blaming everyone else which led to the firing of head coach Doug Peterson. He then suffered a foot injury in the Colts training camp that required surgery on August 2.

Wentz seemed to be hard-working, blue-collar and team-oriented, but I suspect his agent must have pumped him up to making selfish, unreasonable demands that soured his relationship with Eagles management, teammates and ultimately the fans and media. I fear something similar will transpire with Simmons.

Ben Simmons says sayonara to Philly

Despite having $147 million left on his contract, Ben Simmons says he won't play for Philadelphia again. This will get interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Despite having $147 million left on his contract, Ben Simmons says he won't play for Philadelphia again. This will get interesting.
    For sure. I don't know what options the Sixers have (other than a trade), but if I were them I'd be more than happy to unload him to another team (even if I got the worse of it in said trade).

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    For sure. I don't know what options the Sixers have (other than a trade), but if I were them I'd be more than happy to unload him to another team (even if I got the worse of it in said trade).
    If Ben really wanted to get traded he would try to help Philly get good value in return, because Philly does not want to just unload a player like Ben for a pupu platter of mediocre NBA assets. But, by talking about how much he wants out of Philly, Ben is making it harder and harder for Philly to get fair value in return. Ben may be as bad at roster strategy as he is at shooting pressure-packed layups in the playoffs.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    If Ben really wanted to get traded he would try to help Philly get good value in return, because Philly does not want to just unload a player like Ben for a pupu platter of mediocre NBA assets. But, by talking about how much he wants out of Philly, Ben is making it harder and harder for Philly to get fair value in return. Ben may be as bad at roster strategy as he is at shooting pressure-packed layups in the playoffs.
    Daryl Morey and Elton Brand are trying to find a match but it is not easy, especially with a non-cooperative player who has stated he will not even show up for training camp. They may have to let the season start with Simmons out and then wait for an opportunity. That may come as teams sort out their trajectory for the season or if an injury creates a need. Morey is an analytics guy, so he is not likely to settle for scraps. He has stated that he will only trade if it results in an improvment to the roster. A tall order I think.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    Daryl Morey and Elton Brand are trying to find a match but it is not easy, especially with a non-cooperative player who has stated he will not even show up for training camp. They may have to let the season start with Simmons out and then wait for an opportunity. That may come as teams sort out their trajectory for the season or if an injury creates a need. Morey is an analytics guy, so he is not likely to settle for scraps. He has stated that he will only trade if it results in an improvment to the roster. A tall order I think.
    Easy for me to say, but I would let him sit and not pay him. Make him squirm. I feel like this is one of those circumstances where they take a stance, the team starts 10-0 without him, and suddenly his attitude changes a bit.

Meanwhile, if he really does have a limited number of teams he would consider, those teams should be offering virtually nothing - why bid against yourself?

Or, is it more likely that it’s Rich Paul pulling the strings here thinking he can play the Sixers.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    Or, is it more likely that it’s Rich Paul pulling the strings here thinking he can play the Sixers.
    At some point I will hear a story about Rich Paul making moves and pulling strings and be impressed…. but it has not happened yet.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

At some point I will hear a story about Rich Paul making moves and pulling strings and be impressed…. but it has not happened yet.
    Oh I’m not saying he’s good at it… just that he may be the real genius behind the Simmons strategy.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    Trust the process...

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Trust the process...
    Very apropos!

Haven’t followed this situation closely, but can it be similar to Aaron Rodgers and Packers. Hugs and kisses at start of season?

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Haven’t followed this situation closely, but can it be similar to Aaron Rodgers and Packers. Hugs and kisses at start of season?
    Doc Rivers seems to think that Simmons could still play for the Sixers:

https://www.inquirer.com/sixers/76er...-20210922.html
    “There’s been so many times that this has happened that hasn’t been reported, and the guy comes back,” Rivers said. “Listen, we’re gonna go through it. We’re gonna always do what’s best for the team. But I can tell you up front, we would love to get Ben back and, if we can, we’re gonna try to do that. Ben has a long contract, so it’s in our hands, and we want him back.”

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    Oh I’m not saying he’s good at it… just that he may be the real genius behind the Simmons strategy.
    I assume that if the Sixers don't pay Simmons, Paul doesn't get his cut (not that he's poor). I don't think it's a good look for either of them to have a guy with a (what?) $147 million contract sit out.

The Nets were apparently interested in a Kyrie for Simmons deal - a deal that would have made sense for both teams as Kyrie is a better fit on the Sixers and Simmons is a better fit on the Nets - but KD nixed it and Kyrie said he would quit basketball if the Nets traded him.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...or-ben-simmons

I would say that would be a very bad trade for the Nets, especially with the Sixers trading from a position of weakness. 50/40/90 with low turnovers doesn’t grow on trees, despite people not appreciating Kyrie, and he was excellent on defense last year. If the Nets had been healthy, they likely would be defending champions. I would give it another run.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    I would say that would be a very bad trade for the Nets, especially with the Sixers trading from a position of weakness. 50/40/90 with low turnovers doesn’t grow on trees, despite people not appreciating Kyrie, and he was excellent on defense last year. If the Nets had been healthy, they likely would be defending champions. I would give it another run.
    Agreed. That would have been a great deal for the Sixers, and a terrible trade for the Nets.

Simmons getting justifiably hammered in the press...whose fault was it that he melted down vs the Hawks? Hard to imagine why the Sixers would take a crap deal just to get rid of him...

Respectfully, I disagree. Ben is doing exactly what he needs to do. Just like Anthony Davis, Paul George, Kyrie, Vince Carter, James Harden, Chris Paul, Kawhi Leonard, even Kareem threatened to sit out if the Bucks didn't trade him.