Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

2021 NBA Free Agency Musical Chairs

There's been some discussion about Quinn Cook in the 2021 NBA Summer League thread and Kyle Lowry in the Zion Unhappy in NOLA? thread, but I thought the subject of free agency can stand on its own.

Let's start with some Duke news.

garytrentjr.jpg

Adrian Wojnarowski @wojespn

Gary Trent Jr., has agreed to a three-year, $54M deal to return to the Toronto Raptors, his agent and
    @KlutchSports CEO Rich Paul tells ESPN. Deal includes a player option on third year.

6:23 PM · Aug 2, 2021
    RealGM says Justise Winslow is now an unrestricted free agent because...

Shams Charania @ShamsCharania

The Memphis Grizzlies have declined Justise Winslow's $13 million team option for next season, sources tell

@TheAthletic @Stadium

4:40 PM · Aug 1, 2021
    More headlines:

Lakers bringing back Trevor Ariza (1 year), Wayne Ellington (1 year), Dwight Howard (say, 10 games?)

Woj: Chris Paul stays in Phoenix (4 years, up to $120M)

Even animals in the Phoenix area were aware of the news. "Hide your nuts," warned a local squirrel.
    Shams: Kyle Lowry goes to Miami (Woj: 3 years, $90M)

Woj: Duncan Robinson stays in Miami (5 years, $90M)

Shams: Jimmy Butler stays in Miami (4 years, $184M)

That Butler contract is ridiculous, until you see the Wall Street Journal reporting that Reese Witherspoon is selling her production company for $900 million. That's, like, Quinn Cook money!

Lakers going about addressing the “guys who defend and/or stand around and make 3s” spots in the lineup.

The Bulls have been uncharacteristically busy, upgrading their perimeter defense by trading for Lonzo Ball (for Satoransky) and signing Alex Caruso. Though they are losing Daniel Theis to Houston in a sign and trade deal.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Lakers going about addressing the “guys who defend and/or stand around and make 3s” spots in the lineup.

The Bulls have been uncharacteristically busy, upgrading their perimeter defense by trading for Lonzo Ball (for Satoransky) and signing Alex Caruso. Though they are losing Daniel Theis to Houston in a sign and trade deal.
    Ball and Caruso are two solid pick ups.

Lakers need 3 and D so they signed… Wayne Ellington, an old Ariza, and a lesser version of AD in Dwight Howard?

What the hell are Lakers doing?
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    There's been some discussion about Quinn Cook in the 2021 NBA Summer League thread and Kyle Lowry in the Zion Unhappy in NOLA? thread, but I thought the subject of free agency can stand on its own.

Let's start with some Duke news.

garytrentjr.jpg

RealGM says Justise Winslow is now an unrestricted free agent because...

More headlines:

Lakers bringing back Trevor Ariza (1 year), Wayne Ellington (1 year), Dwight Howard (say, 10 games?)

Woj: Chris Paul stays in Phoenix (4 years, up to $120M)

Shams: Kyle Lowry goes to Miami (Woj: 3 years, $90M)

Woj: Duncan Robinson stays in Miami (5 years, $90M)

Shams: Jimmy Butler stays in Miami (4 years, $184M)

That Butler contract is ridiculous, until you see the Wall Street Journal reporting that Reese Witherspoon is selling her production company for $900 million. That's, like, Quinn Cook money!
    That CP3 deal is pretty crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    That CP3 deal is pretty crazy.
    It’s nuts.

Jokes aside, it makes sense to me. Paul led a talented but flawed Suns team to within 2 wins of an NBA championship. Overpaying him makes a lot of sense.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    It’s nuts.

Jokes aside, it makes sense to me. Paul led a talented but flawed Suns team to within 2 wins of an NBA championship. Overpaying him makes a lot of sense.
    It does - iffffff he was a few years younger. He’ll be 40+ on the back end. He’s a professional though and takes car of his body so maybe he’ll hold up.

Don’t begrudge him grabbing the coin purse at all but wonder if the Suns won’t regret it if they don’t recapture this year’s magic.

It does - iffffff he was a few years younger. He’ll be 40+ on the back end. He’s a professional though and takes car of his body so maybe he’ll hold up.

Don’t begrudge him grabbing the coin purse at all but wonder if the Suns won’t regret it if they don’t recapture this year’s magic.
    It’ll be worth the 30 mill next year and maybe in year two. Year three and four.. yeah.

But Paul is worth 50+ mill next year if his production is the same as this year.

He’ll be 40+ on the back end. He’s a professional though and takes car of his body so maybe he’ll hold up.
    "I think things will go surprisingly well for Chris Paul in the next 4 years."

statefarm.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    "I think things will go surprisingly well for Chris Paul in the next 4 years."

statefarm.jpg
    Jake from state farm. Is that you?

10. If the Lakers and Nets are healthy next season, does anyone really expect the Suns to make the finals again? I'm doubtful. CP3 got a big windfall on the back of some great timing. I don't begrudge the guy, Miles Plumlee did the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by ice-9 View Post
    If the Lakers and Nets are healthy next season, does anyone really expect the Suns to make the finals again? I'm doubtful. CP3 got a big windfall on the back of some great timing. I don't begrudge the guy, Miles Plumlee did the same thing.
    Yeah, I agree. I think that when the dust settles on the offseason, the Lakers will be far and away the favorites in the West. The Suns had a great playoff run this year, but it was driven a fair bit by key injuries to the Lakers and Jazz.

Word is Lakers are talking with Melo. I think they should also go for Tim Duncan. Maybe Kevin Garnett. And definitely Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Word is Lakers are talking with Melo. I think they should also go for Tim Duncan. Maybe Kevin Garnett. And definitely Grant.
    Bill Russell is only 87.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Bill Russell is only 87.
    AI is still quick but he hasn’t even talked about practice let alone done it in some time.

AI is still quick but he hasn’t even talked about practice let alone done it in some time.
    If you need shooters remember, a Bird in the hand.

Just sayin'.

have we noted Rodney Hood to the Bucks? And Semi as well

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    have we noted Rodney Hood to the Bucks? And Semi as well
    Didn't see Semi. Good one. But not sure why that's a great spot for him. With Milwaukee bringing Bobby Portis back, doesn't he kinda fill the athletic, high energy 3-4 man off the bench role pretty well? Not sure Semi sees minutes over him, if he makes the team at all.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Didn't see Semi. Good one. But not sure why that's a great spot for him. With Milwaukee bringing Bobby Portis back, doesn't he kinda fill the athletic, high energy 3-4 man off the bench role pretty well? Not sure Semi sees minutes over him, if he makes the team at all.
    Porto’s is a 4/5, so the 3/4 role is still open. Milwaukee also just lost PJ Tucker, and they had no depth to begin with. So there should be minutes for somebody.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Porto’s is a 4/5, so the 3/4 role is still open. Milwaukee also just lost PJ Tucker, and they had no depth to begin with. So there should be minutes for somebody.
    Ah. I had not seen the Tucker news. Yeah that helps Semi some, I agree.

Bulls adding DeMar DeRozan via sign and trade. I assume that it will involve Lauri Markkanen going the other way, but that remains to be seen.

Bulls have had a good (for them) couple of days, addressing their perimeter defense with Ball and Caruso and now adding another scorer on the wing in DeRozan. It's suddenly a somewhat interesting team to watch, which as a Bulls fan is a nice change of pace.

ETA: no, it's involving Thad Young and not Markkanen.