Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: ACC Defections

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Duke would be on the boat alone with one oar...
    Time for Duke to face reality and join the Ivy League. We would dominate in most sports, for at least a few years, and we could save a ton of money in the athletic department over the long run. I would view as a step up, maybe not in athletics, but overall for the university.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    Time for Duke to face reality and join the Ivy League. We would dominate in most sports, for at least a few years, and we could save a ton of money in the athletic department over the long run. I would view as a step up, maybe not in athletics, but overall for the university.
    For very few years. Athletes and coaches would leave in droves.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Would we be invited?
    Last edited by Bob Green; 08-03-2021 at 04:45 AM. Reason: Fix quote tag

Quote Originally Posted by 53n206 View Post
    Would we be invited?
    No...Given they're all Northeastern schools that have been in the league since its official founding in 1954. How many schools have joined/left since then? Zero.

I too admit some disenchantment with all this and might support some de-emphasis on athletics. Although I think excelling in both is still a nice model in theory.

Well, first, why does the SEC need Clemson and Florida State? How big is that conference going to get, and how much better at football?

If those two schools are serious about leaving, let them go. My first two calls are to Vanderbilt and either Northwestern or Indiana. Size of school and academic profile fits the ACC better, anyway.

Hey Commodores, Wildcats, Hoosiers….we’ll even pay your departing fee from your conference with the money we take on from Clemson and FSU leaving!

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Bottom line for me, it's just another reason to leave college sports behind in my life.
    FIFY

I dunno. I read this week that the ACC has it's members' grant of rights locked up until 2036. No idea of buyout language, but OU and UT only have to wait until 2025 (or buyout earlier departure). And why would you negotiate with any members who are leaving to lower the buyout? It's blowing up the conference.

Bottom line for me, it's just another reason to leave sports behind in my life.
    I look back at how much I cared for and invested in college sports when I joined this board, and how much I am willing to do so now — it is sad how far it has fallen. For lots of reasons.

Maybe that says more about me than the state of college sports. Maybe not. But it’s the unvarnished truth of the matter.

Except for hoping that UNC, that festering globule of pus that charades as a bastion of “student-athletes,” burns in the lowest depth of boiling odorous excrement for all of eternity. And then slowly gets worse for eons at a time. Yeah, I still feel that.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I look back at how much I cared for and invested in college sports when I joined this board, and how much I am willing to do so now — it is sad how far it has fallen. For lots of reasons.

Maybe that says more about me than the state of college sports. Maybe not. But it’s the unvarnished truth of the matter.

Except for hoping that UNC, that festering globule of pus that charades as a bastion of “student-athletes,” burns in the lowest depth of boiling odorous excrement for all of eternity. And then slowly gets worse for eons at a time. Yeah, I still feel that.
    I’m in almost uncanny agreement with this. The Oklahoma/Texas move just further amplifies the various problems with college athletics that I don’t think I’m willing to ignore anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
    FIFY
    Unfortunately, it's all sports for me. I grew up in western PA, graduated high school in '80, so when I say 'my beloved Steelers' it is not a stretch. When they signed the dog torturer, pennants came off the walls and all memorabilia/shirts/hats went to the local rescue's thrift store. Yes, even my Terrible Towel. The only thing I kept was my black stocking cap with a gold 58 on it, which sits on a shelf in the closet since I live in Florida. I haven't watched a game since.

And don't even ask about my beloved Pirates.

Unfortunately, it's all sports for me. I grew up in western PA, graduated high school in '80, so when I say 'my beloved Steelers' it is not a stretch. When they signed the dog torturer, pennants came off the walls and all memorabilia/shirts/hats went to the local rescue's thrift store. Yes, even my Terrible Towel. The only thing I kept was my black stocking cap with a gold 58 on it, which sits on a shelf in the closet since I live in Florida. I haven't watched a game since.

And don't even ask about my beloved Pirates.
    Do you still have the Penguins?

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Do you still have the Penguins?
    A bit. But I formed my hard allegiances in the '70s. Remember, hockey was near impossible to watch on TV before high-def and big screens. Hockey in person, awesome! But I never got to attend a game in the igloo.

I don’t trust anything a university or conference says about poaching from another conference but the tweet I saw indicated that the SEC rebuffed the contact from Clemson and FSU since they would not bring any additional TV market or dollars. This makes me wonder if the SEC would actually prefer an ACC team from NC or VA over Clemson and FSU.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    I don’t trust anything a university or conference says about poaching from another conference but the tweet I saw indicated that the SEC rebuffed the contact from Clemson and FSU since they would not bring any additional TV market or dollars. This makes me wonder if the SEC would actually prefer an ACC team from NC or VA over Clemson and FSU.
    Whatever Lola (the SEC) wants...

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    Clemson denies that they’ve been in touch with the SEC about membership.
    Why would Clemson want to leave? They have an almost automatic path to the national championship games. Next, when is a league no longer a league? Didn’t the old Southern conference break up when it had so many members you barely played some teams? As far as Texas, they couldn’t win the Big12, so how’s that going to work now with Alabama, Georgia, LSU and Oklahoma? Oklahoma will probably fare better, but will their offense be so high flying against the aforementioned teams? I say a pox on the whole SEC!

Quote Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMeDoIt View Post
    Why would Clemson want to leave? They have an almost automatic path to the national championship games. Next, when is a league no longer a league? Didn’t the old Southern conference break up when it had so many members you barely played some teams? As far as Texas, they couldn’t win the Big12, so how’s that going to work now with Alabama, Georgia, LSU and Oklahoma? Oklahoma will probably fare better, but will their offense be so high flying against the aforementioned teams? I say a pox on the whole SEC!
    I've been making this point for some time, as Clemson is a huge fish in a medium pond, and the going will be MUCH rougher in the SEC, week in and week out.

But a reason to leave, obviously, is the money. Much more money.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Don't hold back. How do you REALLY feel?

BTW, I totally agree!

yeah, I never thought I'd say this, but I could live with a Duke that doesn't play Division I (FBS) football...it's becoming more and more incongruous every year.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    yeah, I never thought I'd say this, but I could live with a Duke that doesn't play Division I (FBS) football...it's becoming more and more incongruous every year.
    One hundred percent agree. The benefits do not outweigh the strife and sacrifice. I could actually see a lower tier football team providing more fun for students and fans, achieving greater success, and building better rivalries.

But there'$ one a$pect that would certainly be lagging...

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    One hundred percent agree. The benefits do not outweigh the strife and sacrifice. I could actually see a lower tier football team providing more fun for students and fans, achieving greater success, and building better rivalries.

But there'$ one a$pect that would certainly be lagging...
    It doesn't matter what level Duke plays football, students aren't showing up. (And there will be less regular fans showing up for "lower tier".)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    It doesn't matter what level Duke plays football, students aren't showing up. (And there will be less regular fans showing up for "lower tier".)
    You think? I see a 8-4 team not married to mid-afternoon games in September drawing pretty well.