Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Neals384 View Post
    Pronunciation help please. Is it

Dariq is unique
    Dariq and the Dominos
    Something else.
    Like unique as far as I can tell from interviews.

Excellent news. Everything that has been written and said about Dariq makes him seem like someone you want in your program. Congrats to Coach Scheyer and staff, let's keep this train rolling.

I think it's Dariq is fantastique!

Welcome to Duke, and happy birthday! We will be supporting you all the way.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    I think it's Dariq is fantastique!

Welcome to Duke, and happy birthday! We will be supporting you all the way.
    His name resonates with the great Dominique Wilkins. Perhaps his game somewhat too.

Welcome Dariq!

Watched some videos. What was exciting was seeing some defensive and hustle plays among all the highlight buckets. Looking forward to seeing him in Duke Blue.

From the front page...

And second, that Whitehead said this: “[Scheyer] played and coached with Coach K. I have been impressed with him and believe in him.”

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com...ll-jon-scheyer

If this is an indication, Coach Scheyer is resonating with these new young recruits... even knowing that Coach K will not "really" be there as their coach.

What would happen with Coach Cal and Kentucky nation if Coach Scheyer gets the number one recruiting class of 2022???

=========
    And I have a question. Coach K will retain his office in the Duke basketball complex. Since he will no longer be officially affiliated with Duke basketball, can he work with any and all Duke players on his own time and players own time? Kinda like, if I went to Card Gym when the guys are playing pick-up, can I work with these guys, essentially "coaching" them? Or, does the NCAA have rules/limits on "who" can work out with players... Maybe Coach K being a Duke employee sets his limits on contact?
    Last edited by gep; 08-03-2021 at 12:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    His name resonates with the great Dominique Wilkins. Perhaps his game somewhat too.
    '81-'82 UGA hoops with 'Nique: NIT FF

'82-'83 UGA hoops sans 'Nique: NCAA FF
    "Play and practice like you are trying to make the team." --Coach K

Quote Originally Posted by gep View Post
    From the front page...

And second, that Whitehead said this: “[Scheyer] played and coached with Coach K. I have been impressed with him and believe in him.”

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com...ll-jon-scheyer

If this is an indication, Coach Scheyer is resonating with these new young recruits... even knowing that Coach K will not "really" be there as their coach.

What would happen with Coach Cal and Kentucky nation if Coach Scheyer gets the number one recruiting class of 2022???

=========
    And I have a question. Coach K will retain his office in the Duke basketball complex. Since he will no longer be officially affiliated with Duke basketball, can he work with any and all Duke players on his own time and players own time? Kinda like, if I went to Card Gym when the guys are playing pick-up, can I work with these guys, essentially "coaching" them? Or, does the NCAA have rules/limits on "who" can work out with players... Maybe Coach K being a Duke employee sets his limits on contact?
    I believe the NCAA has strict limits on the number of coaches in basketball -- which is why various guys at Duke on the coaching ladder start as "director of operations" or some such title, which is what Nolan Smith and Chris Carrawell did before moving up.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I believe the NCAA has strict limits on the number of coaches in basketball -- which is why various guys at Duke on the coaching ladder start as "director of operations" or some such title, which is what Nolan Smith and Chris Carrawell did before moving up.
    Maybe Coach K can take a few classes at Fuqua and then be a grad assistant?

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    I believe the NCAA only restricts what the PROGRAM can do, but the players can independently train/play on their own. So, ironically, it's a bit of a loophole that if Coach K is NOT officially affiliated with Duke, if he was spending time with the players, I think it would NOT count against program hours...But I could be wrong.

I think Coach K actually called out the ridiculousness of this rule and the NCAA has increased the time programs can spend with their players, knowing that players were spending the time training with outside sources anyways. (This was an "out of season"/summer rule that I'm specifically talking about. During the season also has a max hours rule, but it's much much more.)

I assume it’s PAID coaches, not consultants/motivational speakers, which I’m sure Duke will list Coach K as.

Coach K will be heavily involved with the team in 22-23. To me, that’s a certainty. He just won’t be paid.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    As long as he doesn’t enter the transfer portal, I’m good 😊

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    I believe the NCAA only restricts what the PROGRAM can do, but the players can independently train/play on their own. So, ironically, it's a bit of a loophole that if Coach K is NOT officially affiliated with Duke, if he was spending time with the players, I think it would NOT count against program hours...But I could be wrong.
    It will count. Anyone who can be defined as a "booster" would count for purposes of coaching. NCAA has strict rules about the numbers of coaches, but even stricter rules about who can do what as a program "affiliate". They removed almost all of the grey areas, which is why the athletics rulebook is so incredibly long and detailed. There is no loophole here, and Coach K cannot work with players "on the side". He can advise coaches and staff all he wants, but direct player contact isn't happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    It will count. Anyone who can be defined as a "booster" would count for purposes of coaching. NCAA has strict rules about the numbers of coaches, but even stricter rules about who can do what as a program "affiliate". They removed almost all of the grey areas, which is why the athletics rulebook is so incredibly long and detailed. There is no loophole here, and Coach K cannot work with players "on the side". He can advise coaches and staff all he wants, but direct player contact isn't happening.
    Would that apply to any kind of contact? For example, if Coach K has had some contact with an incoming player in the past, could he continue to speak with the player--congratulate him on good play, offer sage advice about how to balance academic and athletic commitments, ask how his mother is doing, advise him on whether to leave school after his first year and/or put him in touch with NBA scouts? None of these is "coaching" as such, though all could be supportive and beneficial.

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    Would that apply to any kind of contact? For example, if Coach K has had some contact with an incoming player in the past, could he continue to speak with the player--congratulate him on good play, offer sage advice about how to balance academic and athletic commitments, ask how his mother is doing, advise him on whether to leave school after his first year and/or put him in touch with NBA scouts? None of these is "coaching" as such, though all could be supportive and beneficial.
    No, he could be sociable and offer sage advice. He cannot "provide technical or tactical instruction related to the sport to the student-athlete at any time". Congratulate him on good play, yes. "Great game, tonight!" Fine. Explain what, exactly, he did that was particularly good or bad would be a no-no. "You were at your best when you drove to your left." Not fine.

Keep in mind, I'm not an expert in the nuances of NCAA rules, I'm just familiar enough with them to be dangerous. But my understanding of the rules is that they are both specific and highly inflexible.

Quote Originally Posted by gep View Post
    Coach Scheyer, perhaps even more than the NCAA, would rightfully be the one to set limits on what contact, if any, Coach K would be allowed to have with Coach Scheyer’s players.

So... Coach K and Coach Scheyer and staff can have their own "private" film session... no players at all... and Coach K can impart his observations to the coaching staff without problems? Assuming, if course, that Coach Scheyer would welcome that interaction.

Welcome to Duke Dariq Whitehead!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehk View Post
    Welcome to Duke Dariq Whitehead!!!
    Back on track. Welcome! Look forward to seeing him in action.

Dariq Whitehead and Montverde Academy played IMG last night in a thrilling game. Both teams feature absolutely loaded rosters. Whitehead was the scoring machine for the home team, pouring in 31 points in the 64-63 loss. The Duke commit displayed his impressive scoring abilities by making a variety of deep jumpers. IMG was led by the 5-star backcourt of Baylor commit Keyonte George and Alabama commit Jaden Bradley. This was a fun watch and shows off Whitehead's mix of smoothness and explosive athleticism combined with high skill level.