Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Coincidentally, he is also first in 'most passes thrown to 60-year-old women seated in the second row.'
    Freshman year Bobby Hurley says hi.
    I don't know what you are doing right now, but if you aren't listening to the DBR Podcast, you're doing it wrong.

Here's another early mock draft from SI's Jeremy Woo. Woo is one of the better NBA Draft writers, in my view, and not just because he has Paolo Banchero at #1.

Other players of note:

#9 AJ Griffin
    #30 Mark Williams

https://www.si.com/nba/2021/09/02/20...arly-big-board

scottdude8 is offline Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Here's another early mock draft from SI's Jeremy Woo. Woo is one of the better NBA Draft writers, in my view, and not just because he has Paolo Banchero at #1.

Other players of note:

#9 AJ Griffin
    #30 Mark Williams

https://www.si.com/nba/2021/09/02/20...arly-big-board
    In a world where we return a majority of our backcourt contributors along with this incoming class, especially if it adds Lively, that could be an almost ideal mix of old and young that many here have been clamoring for during the OAD era.

Lots will change over the course of the season on these big boards, and the early entry process next season will be more unpredictable thanks to the new NIL landscape. But there's plenty of reason for optimism about Coach Scheyer's first season.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    In a world where we return a majority of our backcourt contributors along with this incoming class, especially if it adds Lively, that could be an almost ideal mix of old and young that many here have been clamoring for during the OAD era.

Lots will change over the course of the season on these big boards, and the early entry process next season will be more unpredictable thanks to the new NIL landscape. But there's plenty of reason for optimism about Coach Scheyer's first season.
    If HCIW Scheyer can hold onto Roach, Keels, Blakes, and one or both of Moore and Baker, that would be a pretty incredible amount of experience for Duke to pair with Whitehead and Schutt (and maybe Starling?) in the backcourt next season. Even if you have just Roach, Keels, and Blakes, that's still a good amount of experience for some of the most important positions. Given how many players have gone pro or transfers, it's not that likely. But I can dream...

HoopsHype Aggregate Draft 1.0

One of my favorite sources of NBA Mock Draft content is the HoopsHype aggregate draft versions (1.0, 2.0, etc.). They typically update these a half dozen times throughout the college basketball season and include mocks from the most notable sources, including ESPN, NBADraft.net, and The Athletic. The HoopsHype people put out their first mock draft over the weekend.

https://hoopshype.com/lists/2022-nba...aolo-banchero/

1. Paolo Banchero - He's #1 or #2 in all the polls, splitting some with Chet Holmgren. Chet is #3 in Sam Vecenie's Big Board for The Athletic, which proved to be the difference this early.
    5. AJ Griffin - Griffin is the first player with a pretty wide margin of rankings, appearing as high as #3 and as low as #20.
    22. Mark Williams - Big Mark appears as high as 11 and as low as 41 (some mocks only included 1st rounds and left him out entirely).

After appearing in a couple of mock drafts this time last year, Wendell Moore is absent this time around. I think there's a world in which Moore gets back onto draft boards this season. It starts with his jumper. If he ever translates that smooth free throw stroke to consistently hitting catch-and-shoot 3's while displaying crafty moves around the rim, then the combination of size and length for his position could be intriguing as a potential second rounder or maybe even late 1st round draft pick. He would have to be leading scorer in several games this winter and consistently hitting shots to do that. I don't think it would be crazy to see slight improvements across the board and then the occasional big game. Unlikely, but not out of the question is how I put it. Anyway, just something to track throughout the season.

Also of note, the HoopsHype people list Trevor Keels as a potential one-and-done even though he also doesn't appear in the top 100 at this point in time.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Also of note, the HoopsHype people list Trevor Keels as a potential one-and-done even though he also doesn't appear in the top 100 at this point in time.
    Look, obviously kids ca do what they want and I get that the lure of pro money is strong, but seeing a kid like DJ struggle in Summer League and not even seeming like a likely 2-way contract kid is really painful. I don't know who is advising these kids but far too many of them are making mistakes for my taste. If Trevor is not a certain draft pick then coming out would be quite foolish, IMO.
    I don't know what you are doing right now, but if you aren't listening to the DBR Podcast, you're doing it wrong.

scottdude8 is offline Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Look, obviously kids ca do what they want and I get that the lure of pro money is strong, but seeing a kid like DJ struggle in Summer League and not even seeming like a likely 2-way contract kid is really painful. I don't know who is advising these kids but far too many of them are making mistakes for my taste. If Trevor is not a certain draft pick then coming out would be quite foolish, IMO.
    And, you would have to think NIL would change the decision making process for someone in this type of situation. I still wouldn't be surprised if, in an alternative universe where NIL was announced before draft 2021 draft decisions, DJ is still in a Duke uniform this fall. As someone who was gregarious and seemingly adept on social media, he'd be a prime target for NIL endorsements, IMHO, and could certainly make money approaching what he would as a G-Leaguer as a star at Duke. If Keels finds himself in a similar situation as to his draft status next year, the recruiting pitch of "you'll be the star of the team next year and be in line for major NIL money" could be the difference in luring him back to campus.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I'm not going to disagree with you on that, but they are different players in different situations. DJ is an undersized scoring guard that didn't really demonstrate that he could be a primary scorer. Nor did he demonstrate that he could be a primary ballhandler. If he couldn't do either at a high level in college, the likelihood that he can in the NBA is slim. On the other hand, he's really young. Some players take a few years to develop. I wish he had stuck around to develop at Duke. Oh well.

Trevor has ideal size for the SG position in college and the NBA. If you see him in practice videos, he's nearly as big and tall as Wendell Moore. From what I've seen, Keels looks a step too slow to be a true NBA Draft pick. We'll see if his skillset and defensive abilities can compensate for the lack of high-end athleticism. I think he has the chance to be an NBA player one day. It just might take a couple of years, like Luke Kennard or Grayson Allen.