Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    It ultimately came down to Duke and Marist. I’m very happy (and relieved) that he chose our Blue Devils. 😎
    I am glad he followed in the footsteps of Ryan Kelly rather than Rik Smits.

Welcome Kyle, we need another ski suffix to keep things humming in Durham come 2022-23.

Not going to trace it back, but one of the scouts compared Kyle Filipowski to Detlef Schrempf. Many here probably don't remember Schrempf. If Kyle turns out that well, it would be a real triumph.

Schrempf, and his spelling, arrived in 1980 from Germany as a long, agile 6-10 teenager who had difficulty with English, but not basketball. Somehow, he found the small high school in Centralia, Washington, where he was a basketball phenom for a year. Then to Seattle as a Washington Husky where he played from 1981-85. There he was All-Pac-10 and an All-American and is in the Husky Hall of Fame. He followed college with a 16-year career in the NBA, retiring in 2001, having played for four teams.

Yeah...if Filipowski can stay for four years and match the college Schrempf, we can make room for another jersey in the rafters. But...it's more likely that he will...uhh...just pass through. (Wait, does his family value education?) (and would it matter if it does?)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    Not going to trace it back, but one of the scouts compared Kyle Filipowski to Detlef Schrempf. Many here probably don't remember Schrempf. If Kyle turns out that well, it would be a real triumph.

Schrempf, and his spelling, arrived in 1980 from Germany as a long, agile 6-10 teenager who had difficulty with English, but not basketball. Somehow, he found the small high school in Centralia, Washington, where he was a basketball phenom for a year. Then to Seattle as a Washington Husky where he played from 1981-85. There he was All-Pac-10 and an All-American and is in the Husky Hall of Fame. He followed college with a 16-year career in the NBA, retiring in 2001, having played for four teams.

Yeah...if Filipowski can stay for four years and match the college Schrempf, we can make room for another jersey in the rafters. But...it's more likely that he will...uhh...just pass through. (Wait, does his family value education?) (and would it matter if it does?)
    Detlef Schrempf of luftball fame!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post

1984 NCAA Tournament. Too soon.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    99 luftball(oons)?

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Anyone who watched Parks and Rec should also be familiar.

Is it just me or does anyone else approve of the successor to Mike Krzyzewski getting his first commitment from a kid named Filipowski? The Polish presence persists.

Quote Originally Posted by cakerace View Post
    Great choice of number!
    Attachment 13404
    Scheyer’s number but looking a lot more like Antonio Vrankovic .

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Yeah, but the 1984-85 season revenge game in Cameron was sweet!
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Ant Wright does some of the better high school recruiting profiles on YouTube. Here's one he did about a month ago on Filipowski. This kid is going to end up as a 5-star/top 25 type player by the time all is said and done. Every report I've read raves about "Flip" and the way he moves, handles, passes, and especially shoots the ball. He's a good but not overwhelming athlete at 6'11" 230 lbs. I mean, how many players like that come around every year? He's as skilled and talented a player as you'll see. I'm excited to see him in Duke blue.

so he's Matt Hurt?
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

Quote Originally Posted by Channing View Post
    so he's Matt Hurt?
    I would personally love another Matt Hurt.

so he's Matt Hurt?
    6'11" guy with some Polish heritage, from New York state and went to prep school, all-around talent, and a really good shooter.

Hmmm...wasn't there some guy from our 1988 draft class with that general description?

I’m in for every “ski” out there. A whole lineup of “ski’s.” Come one come all.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    6'11" guy with some Polish heritage, from New York state and went to prep school, all-around talent, and a really good shooter.

Hmmm...wasn't there some guy from our 1988 draft class with that general description?
    Maybe choosing jersey No. 30 is as close as he could get since No. 32 is retired.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    Maybe choosing jersey No. 30 is as close as he could get since No. 32 is retired.
    #s 31 & 33 weren't bad either.

GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    Just did a google search and the pictures I saw of him in a HS jersey he is actually #32.

Hopefully, unlike Bagley, he won't have the chutzpah to ask them to unretire a number for him.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Just did a google search and the pictures I saw of him in a HS jersey he is actually #32.

Hopefully, unlike Bagley, he won't have the chutzpah to ask them to unretire a number for him.
    Oooh, that gave me an idea. Once Scheyer is in charge, maybe we'll see the whole core of the 2010 squad in the rafters!

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Jim, If 1984 is too soon I worry about your ability to get past historical disappointments

Are you still mourning....
    the Colts moving to Baltimore...
    the break-up of AT&T...
    the introduction of the Apple computer...

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    I would personally love another Matt Hurt.
    Agreed - 100%. I just laughed at the same generic description that gets rolled out for every stretch 4 white guy.
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

Agreed - 100%. I just laughed at the same generic description that gets rolled out for every stretch 4 white guy.
    I wouldn't mind shelling out a wee bit more to upgrade to the slightly quicker Matt Hurt model, assuming we're getting do-overs.