Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    do keep in mind that the roster weights are often inaccurate. For several years I kept track of K's comments on who has added what amount of weight, and you simply couldn't reconcile his comments with the roster weights. I've been told a player can be just about any height or weight he chooses to be. For sure a number of heights have in the past been generous. Demarcus Nelson measured two inches shorter at NBA camps than he did at Duke.http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/demarcus-nelson-58/
    Below is an article about Kevin Durant not listing himself as a 7 footer, however, because he wanted to be seen as skilled, not a 7 foot stiff (though I'm not sure anybody would have ever seen him that way). I recall Laettener did the same thing. https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...wya-story.html

I'm assuming the NCAA and NBA were fine with encouraging the more typical deceit (adding height) since it underlined how superhuman these guys are.

I keep trying the same thing with my doctor (bump up my height, drop my weight, maybe it'll happen), but no go, so far.

Of course, I didn't enter college with a wikipedia page that listed my height/weight (or SAT's, IQ, or Wonderlic score).

Interestingly, women athletes get their height listed, but not their weight.

On that note, I don't understand how Olympic sports get to mandate extremely skimpy outfits for their female (and some male) competitors, but that steers a bit past the topic (and I probably do understand why they do it, but I'm surprised they don't get more flack).

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    Below is an article about Kevin Durant not listing himself as a 7 footer, however, because he wanted to be seen as skilled, not a 7 foot stiff (though I'm not sure anybody would have ever seen him that way). I recall Laettener did the same thing. https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...wya-story.html

I'm assuming the NCAA and NBA were fine with encouraging the more typical deceit (adding height) since it underlined how superhuman these guys are.

I keep trying the same thing with my doctor (bump up my height, drop my weight, maybe it'll happen), but no go, so far.

Of course, I didn't enter college with a wikipedia page that listed my height/weight (or SAT's, IQ, or Wonderlic score).

Interestingly, women athletes get their height listed, but not their weight.

On that note, I don't understand how Olympic sports get to mandate extremely skimpy outfits for their female (and some male) competitors, but that steers a bit past the topic (and I probably do understand why they do it, but I'm surprised they don't get more flack).
    There were many tales of Dean Smith not wanting to list some of his guys as 7 footers, even though they were...can't see the harm in it, it's not much different from people you chat with who may take liberties with their height and weight. I do chuckle though when a guy shrinks an inch, I think we had one of them on the roster a year or so ago...

On the Olympic outfit front, yes, there has been major pushback (e.g. i think the Norwegian volleyball women wearing shorts not bikini bottoms)...

There were many tales of Dean Smith not wanting to list some of his guys as 7 footers, even though they were...can't see the harm in it, it's not much different from people you chat with who may take liberties with their height and weight. I do chuckle though when a guy shrinks an inch, I think we had one of them on the roster a year or so ago...

On the Olympic outfit front, yes, there has been major pushback (e.g. i think the Norwegian volleyball women wearing shorts not bikini bottoms)...
    German gymnasts too :
    https://news.yahoo.com/german-gymnas...120800201.html

The NBA has moved to measurements done with no shoes. I wonder if Duke has done the same.

The incredible shrinking Blue Devils were Jay Buckley and Hack Tison. In 1961-62, soph Jay was listed at 6-11 and freshman Hack at 7-0. By the next season, they were at 6-10 and remained there for the rest of their careers.

You have to trust me on this one -- the programs were mimeographed then [gasp!], and the internet was a generation in the future.
    Last edited by sagegrouse; 07-27-2021 at 05:08 PM. Reason: typo
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by fraggler View Post
    The NBA has moved to measurements done with no shoes. I wonder if Duke has done the same.
    I believe that they truly don't measure them, or at least the "measurements" listed on the roster have a lot of leeway in them.

Has this roster traditionally listed players with their academic year, not their athletic year? Or is that new post-COVID?

Savarino and Worthington redshirted their freshman year and played last year. In prior years, I feel like they'd be listed as "So." or "RS So.", not "Jr." Am I correct in this assumption?

If so, perhaps it's because eligibility is going to be so wonky across the NCAA for the next 4 years anyway with the free COVID year and transfers? Savarino and Worthington technically have 4 more years of eligibility despite being juniors, right?

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    The incredible shrinking Blue Devils were Jay Buckley and Hack Tison. In 1961-62, soph Jay was listed at 6-11 and freshman Hack at 7-0. By the next season, they were at 6-10 and remained there for the rest of their careers.

You have to trust me on this one -- the programs were mimeographed then [gasp!], and the internet was a generation in the future.
    But boy did the mimeo ink smell fine.😂

I believe that they truly don't measure them, or at least the "measurements" listed on the roster have a lot of leeway in them.
    The do a full Combine before the season starts, one just like the NBA does pre draft, so they definitely have accurate measurements, do they maybe fudge them? possibly but I can say for sure they have accurate measurements (unless the person doing it is incompetent)

Paolo at 6"10 and 250 is so freaky!! Makes me so excited for that athleticism and his skill/intelligence. He already looks like a monster.

I think that big men like to undersell their height (perhaps so opponents will underestimate them under the basket) while guards like to oversell (maybe so opponents don't challenge them or feel more intimidated).

Also it was the Norweigan handball team that was fined for refusing to wear dental floss around their waists, not volleyball. Though beach volleyball does have similar rules for women.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I think that big men like to undersell their height (perhaps so opponents will underestimate them under the basket) while guards like to oversell (maybe so opponents don't challenge them or feel more intimidated).

Also it was the Norweigan handball team that was fined for refusing to wear dental floss around their waists, not volleyball. Though beach volleyball does have similar rules for women.
    Yup. Durant is 7’0”. It’s the worst kept ‘secret’ in the NBA. And Roach isn’t 6’1”. I believe he’s 172, but he just looks sub-6’.

As for speed, I am nervous about the speed of Keels and, to a lesser extent, Blakes. Keels is a big boy. That isn’t up for debate. I hope his size will be more of an asset on D than a liability.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

And speaking of seven footers

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Yup. Durant is 7’0”. It’s the worst kept ‘secret’ in the NBA. And Roach isn’t 6’1”. I believe he’s 172, but he just looks sub-6’.

As for speed, I am nervous about the speed of Keels and, to a lesser extent, Blakes. Keels is a big boy. That isn’t up for debate. I hope his size will be more of an asset on D than a liability.
    Mark Williams has the same height as last year, but he has gone from 243 pounds to 242. I was hoping he'd be up to 260.

Quote Originally Posted by miramar View Post
    Mark Williams has the same height as last year, but he has gone from 243 pounds to 242. I was hoping he'd be up to 260.
    We is noticeably bigger in the summer workouts. That’s mainly because he was a string bean last year.

Maybe he had a lot of lower body fat that he converted to muscle? Regardless, I agree it’s weird he’s the same weight but I believe he did gain upper body mass.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by cbolden1 View Post
    The do a full Combine before the season starts, one just like the NBA does pre draft, so they definitely have accurate measurements, do they maybe fudge them? possibly but I can say for sure they have accurate measurements (unless the person doing it is incompetent)
    I've been told the athletes can list themselves as they wish, hence year to year shrinkage in some, implausible weights in others. K likes to maintain his secrets, maybe height and weight is another one?

I've been told the athletes can list themselves as they wish, hence year to year shrinkage in some, implausible weights in others. K likes to maintain his secrets, maybe height and weight is another one?
    Listing yourself as you wish? I like that.

I will list my height as 6'4", weight of 190 lbs and age as 32.

Each is off by much less than an order of magnitude.

Oh, and lets make that an IQ of 210. But if you were paying attention you already knew I was a smart asp.
    Last edited by camion; 07-28-2021 at 11:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by thedukeman View Post
    Paolo at 6"10 and 250 is so freaky!! Makes me so excited for that athleticism and his skill/intelligence. He already looks like a monster.

That size with guard like skills...my expectations for him are sky high.

Lol possibly but the team do have the actual numbers and prob relay them to nba teams if they are asked what they are

Quote Originally Posted by cbolden1 View Post
    Lol possibly but the team do have the actual numbers and prob relay them to nba teams if they are asked what they are
    I think they forgot to tell some of them that Demarcus Nelson was only 6-2 because it seemed to surprise folks when they measured him at an NBA event...I think the point is that players don't want to discourage potential suitors...

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post

I confirm.

Somehow, though, Jay Buckley once got into the Fiat 600 my dad let me have senior year, long enough to scoot to East Campus. (But only once. Can't say as I blame him.) A water-cooled roller skate.

A month before commencement, I traded it for a brand-new non-Nader-approved Chevrolet Corvair.