Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    U.S. mixed team got reinstated today. Having said that, it's been a head scratching mystery why our relay teams have such a dreadful history in passing batons...
    Because they never practice it? That's always the explanation I've heard. They pick the top runners who practice the exchange just a couple of times. Hence we had a runner who didn't even know where the exchange zone actually was.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Because they never practice it? That's always the explanation I've heard. They pick the top runners who practice the exchange just a couple of times. Hence we had a runner who didn't even know where the exchange zone actually was.
    Sounds like basketball

Out of curiosity

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    I have a friend whose father is English and he absolutely despises basketball because it's so easy to score. I like penalty kicks because it ends before someone actually dies on the pitch. Soccer is a brutal sport. So the basketball comparison doesn't really fit. You can have a whole bunch of overtimes but the odds of that occurring as a quasi Bataan Death March are pretty low. My father's high school team won the sectional playoffs in five overtimes. The kid who hit the winning free throw scored the only point of his entire career that night. He never once scored as a JV player or as a varsity player other than knocking in a free throw in the fifth overtime with one second left in a tie game to make it to the Elite 8.
    How does he feel about cricket? That's a quintessential English sport and those scores always seem like 12,462-8,678.

they could practice it in the aisle of the airplane on the way to Japan. I did it a few times myself in high school (on a track not an airplane) and there really are some basic ways to achieve competence.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Sounds like basketball
    Agreed, I blame Popovich
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

they could practice it in the aisle of the airplane on the way to Japan. I did it a few times myself in high school (on a track not an airplane) and there really are some basic ways to achieve competence.
    If anyone was looking for a way to spice up track and field, I consider this to be a leading candidate.

Co-sign.

And to repeat myself for Acymetric's benefit, I am not complaining that the US won; indeed, I'm happy about it. I just think they'll need to be better in the next round, so that they don't have to risk another shootout.
    I thought we were running in molasses -- definitely a lackluster performance. The USA must be much more lively against Canada.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    If anyone was looking for a way to spice up track and field, I consider this to be a leading candidate.
    Oh, I like this. Leave the door open and have the baton exchange via parachute.

I just got pictures from my son's camp and there were numerous shots of the track counselor teaching 10-year olds how to pass a baton. If they can take a few minutes to figure it out, then Olympians can too.

Most of these runners do track largely as their full time job. They spend half their lives on a track. How hard is it to carve a few minutes out of your day to work on this? Especially if by getting good at it you increase your odds of winning a medal?

(snark is not aimed at you - I agree with you).

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    In this case it wasn't the PASS of the baton from one person to the other, it was where she lined up/stood while waiting for the baton. She wasn't even CLOSE to where you're supposed to be. How do you not know that?!?!? Luckily, because the official put her there (and she didn't move on her own to the "correct" spot), U.S. got the DQ overturned. Also don't understand how the official doesn't know where it is, but maybe they do that to see if you actually know the rules and just to get you in your lane...So, no practice needed in this case. Just a knowledge of the rules and where to stand. Frankly, it does seem pretty pathetic.

I mean, yes, we won. But the Netherlands seemed much more in control of the game for most of the second half. The two discounted goals were clearly correct calls. The Dutch had several shots sail just wide and missed a PK.

Again, I'm glad we won and will be excited to keep watching out ladies - I think they are one of the best representatives our country has in sports. But I think they were very fortunate to get out with a W today.
    What was the problem on the second "discounted goal?" It looked like a huge mental error on the part of the Dutch keeper. Was it "off-sides?"
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    What was the problem on the second "discounted goal?" It looked like a huge mental error on the part of the Dutch keeper. Was it "off-sides?"
    Yes. It was "off-sides."

Yes. It was "off-sides."
    It doesn't even need scare quotes. All four offside goals were correctly called by the assistants, and although one was quite close, the others were immediately obvious. The USWNT has scored eight goals in the competition so far, and have put the ball in the back of the net nine additional times when starting from an offside position. If they could stay onside, they might look more like the team I think they are. Goals cover up a lot of bad passing.

It doesn't even need scare quotes. All four offside goals were correctly called by the assistants, and although one was quite close, the others were immediately obvious. The USWNT has scored eight goals in the competition so far, and have put the ball in the back of the net nine additional times when starting from an offside position. If they could stay onside, they might look more like the team I think they are. Goals cover up a lot of bad passing.
    Exactly. My point was that the disallowed goals were absolutely correct calls.

Bock to Simone Biles for just one second. I was reading a Just Women's Sports newsletter, and it included this quote from Aly Raisman, which I absolutely think is the correct approach. She took USA Gymnastics to task and asked this about them:

Quote Originally Posted by Aly Raisman
    Their best athlete is struggling and is someone there to help her? I think it’s an important question that we should be asking. Does Simone have the support that she needs?

Bock to Simone Biles for just one second. I was reading a Just Women's Sports newsletter, and it included this quote from Aly Raisman, which I absolutely think is the correct approach. She took USA Gymnastics to task and asked this about them:
    Is there a reason to think they aren't offering her the support she needs, or is the writer just speculating?

Is there a reason to think they aren't offering her the support she needs, or is the writer just speculating?
    She's asking a question. Given who is doing the asking, I imagine it is a pointed question grounded in past experiences, but I have no direct way of knowing that, of course. However, Raisman has publicly allowed herself to be identified as one of Larry Nassar's victims. So she's not an unbiased observer, for sure, but one with unfortunate experience regarding the support or lack thereof provided by USA Gymnastics.

Make of it what you will, but I would think just that much past history provides plenty of "reason to think they aren't offering her the support". This is not a context-neutral situation.

And it is still the right question.

Is there a reason to think USA Gymnastics isn’t providing the right kind of support? Gee…

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/USA_Gymnastics_sex_abuse_scandal

https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/usa-gymnastics-changed-larry-nassar-scandal/story?id=78839442

I was asking about the context of the article because no link was provided, Jesus Christ. I had not forgotten about one of the largest sexual assault scandals ever, but thanks for jumping down my throat and reminding me in the snarkiest way possible anyway.

I was asking about the context of the article because no link was provided, Jesus Christ. I had not forgotten about one of the largest sexual assault scandals ever, but thanks for jumping down my throat and reminding me in the snarkiest way possible anyway.
    I doubt anyone was insinuating you weren't aware, but it isn't impossible that you would not recognize Raisman as a former USA gold medal gymnast who is much closer to the entire situation than any journalist would have been.