Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    I mean...the thread says results. But I hate when that happens too.
    It was the thread title on the original thread I had issue with. I was planning to avoid reading this thread until I watched the game, but there's no avoiding a thread title if you come here at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    It was the thread title on the original thread I had issue with. I was planning to avoid reading this thread until I watched the game, but there's no avoiding a thread title if you come here at all.
    I was kidding. Sorry if that sounded snarky.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    I was kidding. Sorry if that sounded snarky.
    Nah, since the original title was sinking down the page, I just wasn't sure if you had seen it. It was practically on top when I first checked in.

Edited to add that my sarcasm detector doesn't always go off when it should.

Can't wait for NFL to get going. These Lympies are looking rather tired

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Rowdy Gaines could call people eating soup and it would be breathlessly exciting.
    Can we pair him with Gus Johnson?

Quote Originally Posted by chris13 View Post
    This video of Gaines announcing is classic. He manages to be incredibly enthusiastic and knowledgeable while not making it all about himself or constantly going off on useless tangents.

https://twitter.com/RowdyGaines/stat...470366724?s=20

Quote Originally Posted by chris13 View Post
    Heads would explode.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

What a great comeback by Simone to take bronze on the beam (it would seem like that would be the hardest apparatus for a return after getting the twisties). And it was very exciting to see Jade Carey win Gold on the floor!

Sad day for Olympic medalist raven sounders of charleston.
    Her mother has passed away in florida .

Quote Originally Posted by wavedukefan70s View Post
    Raven Saunders. Very sad...As well as being a Black and LGBTQ+ advocate, she has been a mental health advocate.

She certainly had quite the personality on display, being perhaps the only athlete to wear a mask DURING her competition (not for COVID reasons, for "looks" - I think it had an exhaust valve in it). Got the silver in the shot put.

She was just investigated by the IOC for her protest demonstrated (put an "X" above her body) at the podium. The U.S. has allowed such actions, but IOC implemented a rule this year to ban any protests or issuing "political, religious, or racial propaganda." Glad the IOC ended up not penalizing her.

Quote Originally Posted by wavedukefan70s View Post
    Yes, sympathies for her and her family.

Tamyra Mensah-Stock of the USA won the gold medal in 68kg freestyle wrestling. I much prefer her attitude, and she has had more than her share of tragedies and challenges in life.

Is US wrestler Tamyra Mensah-Stock the most upbeat athlete at Tokyo 2020?
    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...-2020-olympics

Not sure if this has been mentioned but Gabby Thomas who won the bronze in the 200M and is a Harvard grad - is the daughter of two Duke grads - Jennifer Randall and Desmond Thomas - Desmond played football at Duke

https://www.gazettenet.com/Fast-lane...-Prix-22672860

WOW= what a 400M hurdles race !

21 year old Sydney McLaughlin is a star.

She should be one of the faces of American Sports.

Quote Originally Posted by TywinBlue View Post

I expect she will be very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    I expect she will be very soon.
    She should be... talented, humble, intelligent and beautiful... gold medalist and world record holder at 21 years old!

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    She should be... talented, humble, intelligent and beautiful... gold medalist and world record holder at 21 years old!
    Yep, absolutely. I couldn't agree more.

Oh, wait. I thought you were describing me until you got to the gold medalist part.

The track is obviously incredibly fast. Here's an article that talks about why. What do you think about the fact that it is kind of bouncy and, therefore, provides a performance enhancement?
    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...ll-at-olympics

I guess all technology falls into this category...spikes, shoes, etc? Does it matter as long as everyone is running on the same surface?

The racing has been incredible, the WRs in the 400 hurdles for both men and women, etc.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by TywinBlue View Post

I didn't see the race, but Anna Cockrell got a DQ. (She would have finished 7th, so at least she didn't lose out on a medal.)

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/why-ann...060201754.html
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    The track is obviously incredibly fast. Here's an article that talks about why. What do you think about the fact that it is kind of bouncy and, therefore, provides a performance enhancement?
    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...ll-at-olympics

I guess all technology falls into this category...spikes, shoes, etc? Does it matter as long as everyone is running on the same surface?

The racing has been incredible, the WRs in the 400 hurdles for both men and women, etc.
    I'm all for it as long as the technology is widely available and affordable. I know some of the wooden indoor tracks have some extra bounce to them, but they are only 1/10 mile so the curves are tighter and times are normally a bit slower than outdoors. Synthetic track surfaces have been around for along time, having replaced cinder (crushed gravel) and they were a big improvement. This seems to be the next generation of synthetic track surfaces which may reduce injuries and are faster too.

I've wondered about the artificial limbs of paraplegic athletes which provide some extra energy return. Some of the times for paraplegic runners are not that far off of normal runners. Some day we might be asking if artificial limbs are an unfair advantage.
    Last edited by DoubleBlue; 08-04-2021 at 09:30 AM.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    Some day we might be asking if artificial limbs are an unfair advantage.
    That day has come and gone. Oscar Pistorius competed in the 2012 Olympics, missing both legs below the knee. He faced lots of opposition, since many people said that his prosthetics helped him.

He didn't medal, but he did get on the track. He enjoys those memories from his jail cell now, since he shot and killed his girlfriend a few months later.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oscar_Pistorius
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."