Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    They need to have Rowdy Gaines call the fencing competitions. I nearly fell asleep as the US won gold. Just sayin'.
    He is an American institution. When Tony Romo started doing football I briefly thought he was Rowdy Gaines. Phelps was actually pretty good.

I enjoyed the water polo game this morning. Fun sport and they are incredible athletes. I tried to watch skateboarding last night but couldn’t do it.

Women's Road Race - Crazy Finish

I saw something I'd never seen before moments ago. The women's road race just completed after a little-known Austrian rider, Anna Kiesenhofer, broke away from the pack and got out to a lead of more than two full minutes. Meanwhile a second lead group formed, but never got more than about 60-45 seconds ahead of the peloton. The peloton dutifully chased down this second group about two miles from the finish, and then started to jockey for position. A Dutch rider, who was the pre-race favorite but who had fallen earlier in the race, then made a breakaway right at the end of the race, and finished majestically with arms raised in victory. Except, of course, she hadn't won. The Austrian had crossed the line roughly two minutes prior. It turns out that, unlike the pro circuit, radio communications are not permitted in Olympic cycling, and the peloton had simply failed to notice the earlier breakaway by a relatively unknown rider from an Austrian "team" made up of just a single rider, and had completely lost sight of her on the course.

Anna Kiesenhofer of Austria won precisely because she was an unknown soloist, and she effectively ran away and hid from the field, which was wrapped up in their own team race tactics. Crazy.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    My youngest is a fencer. He does foil and sabre but not epee. He prefers foil. He and I watched the gold medal match together live. We found it very exciting, even without Rowdy Gaines.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Anna Kiesenhofer of Austria won precisely because she was an unknown soloist, and she effectively ran away and hid from the field, which was wrapped up in their own team race tactics. Crazy.
    HA! Gold medal for Olympic Comedy!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I saw something I'd never seen before moments ago. The women's road race just completed after a little-known Austrian rider, Anna Kiesenhofer, broke away from the pack and got out to a lead of more than two full minutes. Meanwhile a second lead group formed, but never got more than about 60-45 seconds ahead of the peloton. The peloton dutifully chased down this second group about two miles from the finish, and then started to jockey for position. A Dutch rider, who was the pre-race favorite but who had fallen earlier in the race, then made a breakaway right at the end of the race, and finished majestically with arms raised in victory. Except, of course, she hadn't won. The Austrian had crossed the line roughly two minutes prior. It turns out that, unlike the pro circuit, radio communications are not permitted in Olympic cycling, and the peloton had simply failed to notice the earlier breakaway by a relatively unknown rider from an Austrian "team" made up of just a single rider, and had completely lost sight of her on the course.

Ordinarily one would expect that there is communication between a rider and her coaches...perhaps the presence of The Corvid prevents that in Tokyo...

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    My youngest is a fencer. He does foil and sabre but not epee. He prefers foil. He and I watched the gold medal match together live. We found it very exciting, even without Rowdy Gaines.
    My kids did some fencing. While watching the fencing this morning it was explained to me how the scoring differed between the different fencing disciplines. I was surprised that you could score by stabbing/knifing (whatever the term is) the other person is in the back. Well, if the person turns their back, they deserve, they can be touched in the back!

It just strikes me that such a civilized sport like fencing allows 'stabbing' in the back, but with all of the (wild) westerns that I've watched over the years, shooting someone in the back is considered cowardly. Perhaps that is why Indy shot that knife wielding guy in Raiders of the Lost Ark. Western beats Fencing.

Larry
    DevilHorse

Synchronized diving is impressive. And the Chinese team was a head above everyone.

Can't believe the US is not killing it in the gun events.

The Dutch rider who finished second (and thought she was first), is Annemiek van Vleuten, 38, riding in her 4th and what one would have to expect is her last Olympics. She was a sentimental favorite, to me at least, because of that horrible crash in Rio when she was far enough in the lead that the gold looked to be hers. For those who didn't see it/don't remember - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LP4MlqwQlbw She's had a great cycling career but no Olympic medal before now. I don't mind that she celebrated winning, even if what she won was the silver.

Nowhere else to post this but I had a business relationship and friendship with Lauren Tamayo - cyclist who won a silver medal in London.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmymax View Post
    true, but what the heck is air rifle all about? I thought they were for popping balloons at birthday parties. Now if they had an assault rifle category, the U.S. and Group of Russian Speaking Athletes Who Are Not Russia would clean up.

The Dutch rider who finished second (and thought she was first), is Annemiek van Vleuten, 38, riding in her 4th and what one would have to expect is her last Olympics. She was a sentimental favorite, to me at least, because of that horrible crash in Rio when she was far enough in the lead that the gold looked to be hers. For those who didn't see it/don't remember - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LP4MlqwQlbw She's had a great cycling career but no Olympic medal before now. I don't mind that she celebrated winning, even if what she won was the silver.
    Oh, I don't mind her celebration at all! An Olympic silver at the end of a long Olympic career is most definitely worth a celebration. But the post-race interview made it clear that she had thought the medal would be a different color, and the entire race would have been run very differently had the peloton not lost track of the solo break away. She should absolutely celebrate her achievement, though.

Oh, I don't mind her celebration at all! An Olympic silver at the end of a long Olympic career is most definitely worth a celebration. But the post-race interview made it clear that she had thought the medal would be a different color, and the entire race would have been run very differently had the peloton not lost track of the solo break away. She should absolutely celebrate her achievement, though.
    Yes, agreed. She's a hard luck athlete in many ways. But still a great career. I find the emphasis on gold a bit much in American Olympic coverage.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I don't mind that she celebrated winning, even if what she won was the silver.
    In one brief moment, for her, it was gold. Not sure if that is a consolation.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by jimmymax View Post
    Silly boy. Americans are into volume, not accuracy.

That cycling story just gets better.

The 30-year-old Austrian broke away from the leading group more than 40 kilometers from the end, holding her own on a demanding 147-kilometer course in the intense heat to win Austria's first cycling gold medal since 1896.
    That's awesome.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/25/sport...ntl/index.html

PS...
    Kiesenhofer isn't just an accomplished cyclist -- she has master's degree in mathematics from the University of Cambridge, England and a PhD in applied mathematics from the Polytechnic University of Catalonia in Barcelona, Spain.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post

That's awesome.

PS...
    I agree! I love stories like this one! I loved that Tunisian swimmer winning gold too!

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post

That's awesome.

PS...
    Wow, well I feel like a lazy sack of bones now. Good for her!

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Wow, well I feel like a lazy sack of bones now.
    I mean, the least you could have done today was a sprint triathalon.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Wow, well I feel like a lazy sack of bones now. Good for her!
    Noooooo!!! Don't feel lazy! Just feel like a regular, normal sack of bones.