Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    And yet, I'm certain that it is far from a universally accepted relationship. That mascot will absolutely be under scrutiny.
    A perspective:

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/semi...oles-nickname/

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I mean, I understand.

But it's ridiculous to think it won't be analyzed.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong. But the days of these mascots is coming to an end.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Washington could go with the Gordians, which is a good representation of their organization.
    That's one knot that is never going to be untied. At least until the owner sells the team.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Surprisingly, St. John’s University has some history with derogatory mascots.

The Queens, New York-based college began calling its sports teams the Redmen in the early 1920s and adopted the Chief Blackjack mascot in 1928 when two students found a statue of him outside a cigar store.

The school used a variant of the logo up until 1987, finally ditching the Redmen name in 1994 after pressure from Native-American groups. The school's teams are now of course known as the Red Storm.
    Responding as a prof at St. John's. I think you may conflating two stories - the mascot and the nickname. Per our website "Although the nickname "Redmen" was instituted because the athletes at St. John's wore red, and did not have an original basis in Native American culture, it did evolve into a nickname that referenced Native American symbology. St. John's wanted to make a change that would stay true to its tradition, but also be distinctive and unique. Thus, the new nickname Red Storm was born." The statue added to the association. This lead to the change in nickname in 1994. And to "Johnny Thunderbird" in 2009.
    JT.jpg

Also, the Cleveland Steamers.
    Tenacious D would approve ... after all, they'll rock your socks off.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Are they going to be shortened to the "Guards?" How do Indians fans currently cheer? Usually there is the one syllable cheer as in "Let's go Duke" and the two syllable cheer as in "Let's go Devils clap clap clap-clap-clap." I guess you can do "Let's go Guardians" with the two syllable clap sequence but it is a real mouthful.

Of course, there is the similar cheer with the shortening of the Nationals that always cracks up the elementary school kid/Beavis and Butthead fan in me...
    Gaurdians! Guardians! Come out to Playy-yayy! CAN YOU DIG IT!

https://youtu.be/aRM2YcGpmxg

I mean, I understand.

But it's ridiculous to think it won't be analyzed.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong. But the days of these mascots is coming to an end.
    We need to start a movement to get rid of the Tarheel nickname. (not joking).

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    Responding as a prof at St. John's. I think you may conflating two stories - the mascot and the nickname. Per our website "Although the nickname "Redmen" was instituted because the athletes at St. John's wore red, and did not have an original basis in Native American culture, it did evolve into a nickname that referenced Native American symbology. St. John's wanted to make a change that would stay true to its tradition, but also be distinctive and unique. Thus, the new nickname Red Storm was born." The statue added to the association. This lead to the change in nickname in 1994. And to "Johnny Thunderbird" in 2009.
    JT.jpg
    Thank you for the clarification.

Don't devil-themed mascots come under fire from time-to-time? I seem to recall a minor protest about the Blue Devils while I was at Duke. Or maybe it was the GTHC chant. Or maybe the whole package? I can't remember. Does that ring a bell for anyone?

Duke's mascot has been questioned over the years but to date has gone no further when it is pointed out it is not religious but more patriotic related to WWI. Most questioning is to high schools that copied it all over the country.

Quote Originally Posted by wncgrad View Post
    Duke's mascot has been questioned over the years but to date has gone no further when it is pointed out it is not religious but more patriotic related to WWI. Most questioning is to high schools that copied it all over the country.
    Until something happens in France and it's determined that we all hate the French (or maybe that has already happened in some quarters...I love the French though.) The Duke Blue Devil is French patriotic perhaps but not American (maybe that is preferred).

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Until something happens in France and it's determined that we all hate the French (or maybe that has already happened in some quarters...I love the French though.) The Duke Blue Devil is French patriotic perhaps but not American (maybe that is preferred).
    Yep. WWI French unit. At least we were all on the same team.

I would assume "Demon Deacons" would attract more criticism.

Heh, I like that one. Very southern, in a particular way.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Heh, I like that one. Very southern, in a particular way.
    I think it is fantastic. But I'm just surprised it doesn't get more flak.

Guardians.. sounds like the bad guys in The Handmaid's Tale..

If this had happened, I would have bought at least a dozen Cleveland Steamer shirts and hats.

Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

NC State's "Wolfpack" came under heavy scrutiny after WWII and we were going to change it, but it sounds like the options were less than inspiring.

https://gopack.com/sports/2015/7/24/GEN_0724150921.aspx

In 1921, an anonymous alum was upset that the behavior of some players on the football team was "as unruly as a pack of wolves." Within weeks, both the NC State Alumni News and the new student newspaper, Technician, began referring to the football team as "The Wolfpack."

However, enrollment at the school in 1945 was only about 750 college students, while the rest of the personnel on campus were military trainees. By the fall of 1946, however, the population exploded to some 5,000 college students, mostly war veterans who were taking advantage of the GI Bill to get an affordable education. There was barely any place to house such an enormous population of students.

It's little wonder, with such a heavy population of veterans, that some questioned the use of the nickname "Wolfpack," since that was the name Hitler proudly called the German U-boats that terrorized the Atlantic Ocean throughout the war.

In July, 1946, less than a year after he was named the school's first chancellor, Col. John W. Harrelson asked students to consider a new nickname for the football team, because of the negative connotation of the German submarines and the bad reputation of the predatory animals. Harrelson had served in the U.S. Army during World War I and was particularly eager to please a campus bulging with veterans and their families.

"The only thing lower than a wolf is a snake in the grass," Harrelson proclaimed.

In late 1946, students and alumni were asked to come up with a single nickname to represent all varsity athletic teams. First prize in the contest was six season football tickets.

The nominees were less than inspiring: The North Staters, the Cardinals, the Hornets, the Cultivators, the Cotton Pickers and the Pine-rooters (a down-east name for pigs), the Auctioneers and the Calumets. The latter two were reference to tobacco auctions that had been common for nearly 200 years in the state.

As the contest drew to a close, there were more letters in support of retaining the Wolfpack nickname than anything else, so Harrelson relented and allowed the name to stick.
    It's nice to see that NC State has always had Chancellors that have supported our athletic department *rolls eyes*

I like that.

This was my team name in the DBR fantasy football league a couple of times.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    We need to start a movement to get rid of the Tarheel nickname. (not joking).
    At one point UNC's athletic teams were known as the White Phantoms.

Rather suspect that's not going to work these days.