Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Re: Blackhawks

Suzan Shown Harjo (Cheyenne and Hodulgee Muscogee), who was awarded the US Presidential Medal of Freedom for decades of American Indian advocacy and is President of the Morning Star Institute, says the Blackhawks have escaped the scrutiny given to other teams using Native imagery because hockey is not a cultural force on the level of football. American Indian organizations have called for an end to all Indian-related mascots and that she found the hockey team's name and Indian head symbol to be offensive. "It lacks dignity," she said. "There's dignity in a school being named after a person or a people. There's dignity in a health clinic or hospital. There's nothing dignified in something being so named (that is used for) recreation or entertainment or fun." The National Congress of American Indians also opposes the Blackhawks' logo, as it does all Native American mascots. In 2010, sports columnist Damien Cox called on the franchise to retire the "racially insensitive" logo, saying that: "Clearly, no right-thinking person would name a team after an aboriginal figure these days any more than they would use Muslims or Africans or Chinese or any ethnic group to depict a specific sporting notion."

In 2015, Mark Chipman, chairman of True North Sports & Entertainment, the owner of the NHL's Winnipeg Jets decided to ban fake Native headdresses at games after meeting with First Nations leaders. The meeting took place in response to a complaint by a Jets fan after seeing a Blackhawks fan in a headdress.
    This is America. People care more about sports than schools or hospitals.

They literally will welcome taxes to build a new stadium with luxury boxes they will never see, for billionaires they will never meet, so players that will leave town at the drop of a hat will have an updated field and locker room. But just try to raise their school taxes...

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Should have been the Cleveland Rocks.
    I foresee a disastrous opening day promotion where every kid under age 18 gets a free rock.

I keep thinking Cleveland Guardians of Gahoole and imagine a bunch of owls playing baseball. Boy, that’d be a real hoot!

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    I foresee a disastrous opening day promotion where every kid under age 18 gets a free rock.
    I was thinking that too, then thought about what would similarly happen if they were the Spiders. Not sure which is worse.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I was thinking that too, then thought about what would similarly happen if they were the Spiders. Not sure which is worse.
    How about a spider and a rock. The kids could really have fun then.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Re: Blackhawks

Suzan Shown Harjo (Cheyenne and Hodulgee Muscogee), who was awarded the US Presidential Medal of Freedom for decades of American Indian advocacy and is President of the Morning Star Institute, says the Blackhawks have escaped the scrutiny given to other teams using Native imagery because hockey is not a cultural force on the level of football. American Indian organizations have called for an end to all Indian-related mascots and that she found the hockey team's name and Indian head symbol to be offensive. "It lacks dignity," she said. "There's dignity in a school being named after a person or a people. There's dignity in a health clinic or hospital. There's nothing dignified in something being so named (that is used for) recreation or entertainment or fun." The National Congress of American Indians also opposes the Blackhawks' logo, as it does all Native American mascots. In 2010, sports columnist Damien Cox called on the franchise to retire the "racially insensitive" logo, saying that: "Clearly, no right-thinking person would name a team after an aboriginal figure these days any more than they would use Muslims or Africans or Chinese or any ethnic group to depict a specific sporting notion."

In 2015, Mark Chipman, chairman of True North Sports & Entertainment, the owner of the NHL's Winnipeg Jets decided to ban fake Native headdresses at games after meeting with First Nations leaders. The meeting took place in response to a complaint by a Jets fan after seeing a Blackhawks fan in a headdress.
    I think the best way to handle this situation is to prove that there are plenty of idiots who disagree. Cleveland Members of the Tribe, anyone?

(I am Jewish and being sarcastic, before I get flamed)
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Before they settled on Marlins, the MLB team that resides in Miami was considering Florida Crackers.

Oops. Forgot the 'wink' emoji after my last post. Of course it's a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    Just my opinion but I think Guardians is lame. They should have paid homage to the original Cleveland baseball name which was the Spiders. Could have made for some cool merchandise, uniforms etc. To me this was the obvious choice but what do I know?
    Agreed. It sounds very...amateurish. Like, I might have expected the Railhawks to go up against the Guardians at some point, you know?

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Should have been the Cleveland Rocks.
    We have a winner.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    How about a spider and a rock. The kids could really have fun then.
    I would love to see the logo be a spider playing a guitar. It'd still have 2 extra hands for the 6-string!

Quote Originally Posted by PSurprise View Post
    I would love to see the logo be a spider playing a guitar. It'd still have 2 extra hands for the 6-string!
    A Spider from Mars?

I’ll let Ziggy know.

Guardians because ends with “dians” I suspect.

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    Guardians because ends with “dians” I suspect.
    Are they going to be shortened to the "Guards?" How do Indians fans currently cheer? Usually there is the one syllable cheer as in "Let's go Duke" and the two syllable cheer as in "Let's go Devils clap clap clap-clap-clap." I guess you can do "Let's go Guardians" with the two syllable clap sequence but it is a real mouthful.

Of course, there is the similar cheer with the shortening of the Nationals that always cracks up the elementary school kid/Beavis and Butthead fan in me...

This isn't a name change. It's a first syllable change.

\IN-dē-əns\

\GÄR-dē-əns\

By this logic, expect an announcement from the Washington \FȮR-skins\ soon.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    What position does Groot play?
    Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    I am Groot.
    babygroot.jpg

GROOT: I am Groot.

ROCKET [translating to Yondu]: He hates hats.

ROCKET: On anyone, not just himself.

ROCKET: One minute you think someone has a weird-shaped head, the next minute it's just because you realize part of that head is the hat. [To Groot] That's why you don't like baseball caps?

GROOT: [nods solemnly]

I suspect the Braves will be next...

And when they do change their name, I hope they become the Atlanta Hammers in honor of Hank. As an added bonus, you could still do something like the Tomahawk Chop except you'd be mimicking the motion of someone hammering.

Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Durham's iconic local minor-league baseball team was named after a brand of an addictive carcinogen.

Of course, the local NHL team is named after a destructive force of nature.

I'm old enough to remember when burning sewage on the Cuyahoga River defined Cleveland. Not sure how to turn that into a useable nickname, however.

Back to your regular programming.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Durham's iconic local minor-league baseball team was named after a brand of an addictive carcinogen.

There should be a team called the Meteors. We already root for the meteor when two hated teams play each other.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post

I'm old enough to remember when burning sewage on the Cuyahoga River defined Cleveland. Not sure how to turn that into a useable nickname, however.

I'm going to be honest, it still kind of defines Cleveland. It came up all the time when I was living in Ohio (~15 years ago, ugh).

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    I am Groot.
    Groot and the Guardians are from the Marvel universe; Washington is obviously DC. I see a natural rivalry here and perhaps some re-alignment in football.
    It's in the air.

Larry
    DevilHorse

Quote Originally Posted by DevilHorse View Post
    Groot and the Guardians are from the Marvel universe; Washington is obviously DC. I see a natural rivalry here and perhaps some re-alignment in football.
    It's in the air.
    So, the football team obviously can't be the Batmen, so does that make them the Washington Wonder Women (Washer Women, for short)? It has a natural tie-in to 1984, which is fairly close to the last year the team was relevant.