Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    I don't understand your point. If the big-time football programs split off, then what's left will basically be the football equivalent of FCS (aka I-A). If the football schools take the rest of their athletic programs with them, then what would be left in, e.g., basketball would be the equivalent of low-major for left-out schools that continue with scholarships or DIII for those that don't. Perhaps not immediately, but it wouldn't take long without the football and NCAAT revenues pouring in.

Nobody said football (or any other sport) would be discontinued. It just won't be high-level or a profit center for the non-super-association universities.
    PS...adding to this post specifically...how many teams do you figure make up that conference? And then how many across the country are left?
    Not even all of the teams in the SEC are making that cut, nor in the other "big-time" football conferences. So 16 programs go off on their own. Whoopdie-do.

That leaves well over 125 doing business as usual.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    There is only so much room in any conference for "top-flight elite athletes". So if one super conference sucks them all up, I don't care. I've watched many games that didn't feature those. I've watched many games that Duke played that didn't feature those. I had lots of fun watching.
    So again, I say "so what?" I'm a spectator, I'm a fan. If my team isn't playing (and losing to) Alabama, Clemson, Florida, and Nebraska every Saturday, I do not care.
    I'm still showing up. And plenty of other Duke fans will show up. I'd think as fans of football, ones that are used to what happens in Wallace Wade would be most understanding of this.
    So, on the one hand, I agree. I would totally still watch Duke if they were playing at a lower level (just like I do with Elon now).

On the other hand, I think you're oversimplifying it. I think it would be much more likely that Duke drops football entirely than that they would move to a lower level of competition. Who is paying for upkeep of the facilities after the budget gets cut by 90%? The schools that are playing at that level now have facilities that were designed with that kind of budget in mind...Duke not so much. They also probably have to let go of most of the staff, unless folks are willing to take massive pay cuts. Not just talking about coaches, talking about department wide. I think such a change would be painful enough that it probably kills the program (as in the team doesn't exist anymore, not that the program struggles). Basketball would probably survive (although there would still be some serious...un-growing pains), and maybe that would be enough, but to assume that if Duke can't stick in one of the major conferences that things will just keep on keeping on strikes me as a tad overly optimistic about the prospects.

PS...adding to this post specifically...how many teams do you figure make up that conference? And then how many across the country are left?
    Not even all of the teams in the SEC are making that cut, nor in the other "big-time" football conferences. So 16 programs go off on their own. Whoopdie-do.

That leaves well over 125 doing business as usual.
    I imagine they'd try to get 64 schools in the "super-association." Not sure they'll be able to get that many to agree to the financial commitments, but they'd try.

I imagine they'd try to get 64 schools in the "super-association." Not sure they'll be able to get that many to agree to the financial commitments, but they'd try.
    i doubt even that many. Every duke or BC or whomever is just diluting the money that the top programs would get if they kept it exclusive. There aren't 64 teams before that max value is reached. They could have a league where almost every game every weekend were a blockbuster. But that stops being true once you get past maybe 16 or 20 teams...and then the value starts going down. The europeans figured this out, hence why they tried to create the super soccer league or whatever it was called. Without the national loyalties fighting, I think it is far more viable in college football.
    1200. DDMF.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    So, on the one hand, I agree. I would totally still watch Duke if they were playing at a lower level
    That's the thing. Duke wouldn't be playing at a lower level. They just won't be continuously playing at the very top. And that's fine by me; literally nothing will have changed aside from not seeing Clemson or ND every three or four years.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

ND will never join the ACC as a full member if the CFP expands, because they’d always have a good shot at making it. The best chance the ACC had was in 2019 when they went undefeated and got in ahead of 1-loss B1G champ OSU, and the B1G was shut out of the CFP. Had an undefeated Notre Dame not made it in because they were not a P5 conference champ, that would have been motivation to join a conference. But now, forget it, there’s no reason at all. They get to have their cake and eat it too for the foreseeable future.

That's the thing. Duke wouldn't be playing at a lower level. They just won't be continuously playing at the very top. And that's fine by me; literally nothing will have changed aside from not seeing Clemson or ND every three or four years.
    CB&B:

I know you are a long time football season ticket holder so I ask this question with all due respect, without the periodic draw of Clemson, ND and FSU to WW and the pot sharing of the bowl revenues how does the football program survive, financially?

How do we not become Georgetown: a school with a D-1 basketball program and a number of non-revenue sports ?

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    i doubt even that many. Every duke or BC or whomever is just diluting the money that the top programs would get if they kept it exclusive. There aren't 64 teams before that max value is reached. They could have a league where almost every game every weekend were a blockbuster. But that stops being true once you get past maybe 16 or 20 teams...and then the value starts going down. The europeans figured this out, hence why they tried to create the super soccer league or whatever it was called. Without the national loyalties fighting, I think it is far more viable in college football.
    That's true if it's only football. I'm envisioning them trying to make the "super-association" for all sports, or at least all revenue sports (including an alternative NCAA tournament in basketball). In which case they'd need more schools.

If you're going to gut the NCAA, you might as well go all the way and not leave any part of your athletic department subject to the whims of the NCAA enforcement folks. Alternatively, if you take the football revenue away, there might not be an NCAA left, in which case (again) you might as well take your other sports with you.

That's true if it's only football. I'm envisioning them trying to make the "super-association" for all sports, or at least all revenue sports (including an alternative NCAA tournament in basketball). In which case they'd need more schools.

If you're going to gut the NCAA, you might as well go all the way and not leave any part of your athletic department subject to the whims of the NCAA enforcement folks. Alternatively, if you take the football revenue away, there might not be an NCAA left, in which case (again) you might as well take your other sports with you.
    It should be clear why Kevin White, coach K and Ol' Roy decided to retire at the same time.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

I think the disconnect is how large we expect the new super-league (or whatever we're calling it) would be. You're expecting that what we'll be left with will basically be the ACC minus Clemson, I'm expecting that somewhere between 50% and 80% of current power 5 schools would be heading over to the new league. Probably no more games with Carolina, unless we can work out some kind of cross-league exhibition.

Quote Originally Posted by TKG View Post
    CB&B:

I know you are a long time football season ticket holder so I ask this question with all due respect, without the periodic draw of Clemson, ND and FSU to WW and the pot sharing of the bowl revenues how does the football program survive, financially?

How do we not become Georgetown: a school with a D-1 basketball program and a number of non-revenue sports ?

Why include FSU? They'll be lucky to be anything but bottom dwellers in the "super conference" that was suggested.
    You are telling me that on an annual basis, lasting for decades, that Wake Forest, UNC, Georgia Tech, Louisville, NC State and others in the ACC (all of whom have recently sucked as well as have been good, just like Duke) will fair better and be invited to said Club of the Elites? And that they'll thrive there?
    You are saying that without just two or three teams, that the ACC is toast, and Duke along with it. (PS, it's a good thing that Clemson and ND aren't dependent on the other major money maker in college sports, because if you reverse your question to just basketball, then they'd be screwed.)

Anyway, like I said many posts back, it's all a moot point, because none of it is happening.

Why include FSU? They'll be lucky to be anything but bottom dwellers in the "super conference" that was suggested.
    You are telling me that on an annual basis, lasting for decades, that Wake Forest, UNC, Georgia Tech, Louisville, NC State and others in the ACC (all of whom have recently sucked as well as have been good, just like Duke) will fair better and be invited to said Club of the Elites? And that they'll thrive there?
    You are saying that without just two or three teams, that the ACC is toast, and Duke along with it. (PS, it's a good thing that Clemson and ND aren't dependent on the other major money maker in college sports, because if you reverse your question to just basketball, then they'd be screwed.)

Anyway, like I said many posts back, it's all a moot point, because none of it is happening.
    It isn't the club of the elites, it is the club of $$$$, which is why at least one and like both of the public universities in the Triangle are virtual locks to be included.

Link to good article from Pete Thamel at Yahoo Sports on how this hits the ACC, including this nugget on how how the quest of the ACC to get ESPN to buy in to the ACC Network may have worked for a world in which the cable bundle was king but strategically now is a millstone as the $$$ moved away from that business model

The ACC is in a difficult spot because it ate a bad deal from ESPN to get a linear network. Now it is frozen for two decades in an antiquated agreement, as the ACC gives schools more than $32 million per year.

Phillips needs to do something dynamic to blow up that deal and get back to the bargaining table.

https://sports.yahoo.com/se-cs-court...co/KCJva783Vt

Like they say, the love of money is the root of all evil. This will likely get ugly.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

What is not happening?

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    What is not happening?
    Exactly

Exactly
    You’ve been very helpful, my friend. 👍🏻

I think a basketball league of all the “uninvited” schools would be awesome. The current Big East and Gonzaga are the comparables, not Elon. Villanova and Gonzaga have done OK without football. If Duke has to give up football, they won’t be the only ones and college basketball fans will watch college basketball. Bring it on.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...homa-texas-sec

TX and OU apparently skipped a meeting with the rest of the Big 12 today. I'm not sure that's a good negotiating strategy if more TV revenue with the Big 12 remnants is the only issue.